2003 GMC 2500HD ABS Light Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 GMC 2500HD 8.1L. My ABS came on the other day and has been going on and off. When the light is off and I brake for a red light everything seems fine untill just before I come to a complete stop and the truck pulls to the left and the pedal drops a some and i hear a noise from the brakes. As for the noise... Well its hard to explain but its kind of a moaning sound.. Yeah not a very good description of it.. i know.. Other times when the light is on and i brake everything is fine.. No problems..I'm hoping someone here has had a similar problem and can help.

No.. I havent pulled anything apart yet. I was hoping somebody could help me out that maybe had the same problem. Its super cold out and with only a car port to owrk in I was really hoping not to have to freeze my tail off to bad. Ive read in some posts it could be a dirty or bad ABS sensor or like you said stuck caliper. just was odd to me that with the light on i didn't have any problems but with the light off is when i noticed the problems... and another note.. I've never had brake problems till the light came on a couple days ago.

Quote:
the truck pulls to the left and the pedal drops
How would an ABS sensor cause this? Could it be the ABS module? Pulling the ABS fuse for diagnosis will help rule out a problem in the brakes...stuck caliper, etc. I'd find and fix the problem...I like ABS's ability to help me maintain control when braking hard on slippery surfaces.

If this has the similar ABS Sensors to the 1500 series.
Rust builds up under the ABS sensors and causes the sensor pick up a weak signal. This causes the ABS to activate because it thinks you are sliding.

I had to remove the ABS sensors and clean the surface with sandpaper on my 2003 1500.

I wanted the ABS system to work correctly, not just disable it by pulling the fuse.

Quote:
How would an ABS sensor cause this?

I have seen this before caused by a wheel sensor.
With the scan tool running if you look at the vehicle speed at each sensor the bad one will be different causing a false ABS signal.
An ABS scanner will identify the bad one quickly, i suspect a front one on this truck is causing this as the rear IIRC uses a single sensor in the diff housing and not cause a pull.
The sensor maybe part of the front hub requiring the complete hub to be changed.

Pulling the fuse will trip the ABS light but disable the system, the brakes will perform normally sans ABS function.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
How would an ABS sensor cause this?

I have seen this before caused by a wheel sensor.
With the scan tool running if you look at the vehicle speed at each sensor the bad one will be different causing a false ABS signal.
An ABS scanner will identify the bad one quickly, i suspect a front one on this truck is causing this as the rear IIRC uses a single sensor in the diff housing and not cause a pull.
The sensor maybe part of the front hub requiring the complete hub to be changed.

Pulling the fuse will trip the ABS light but disable the system, the brakes will perform normally sans ABS function.
This is precisely what happened to mine. Im not buying a new hub just for an ABS sensor. I will replace the hub when the bearing goes bad. Those hubs are not cheap!

I just looked that part up for the 2500HD and its not a hub unit. Thankfully its a circa $50 part and easy to do.
I never get a break like that, mine are always a hub and state inspection checks ABS light function as of last year.

I scanned the codes and found that its telling me both sensors in the front are bad. Just my luck. Only problem i got now is I can't get the caliper off either side to replace and/or clean the sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back