Toilet paper bypass filter 60k on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep an open mind about tp bypass filters.
I ran one on my oil and one on my coolant on my truck for four years before my truck was totaled a few months ago. They do not filter out additives and it will not dissolve in water. The TP does NOT come apart and clog up your motor. If you worry about that you could put a filter (like the magnefine) after the bypass filter.
I changed the toilet paper element on my coolant filter every six thousand miles. I’m sure that I could have change the element on a yearly basis but I’m kind of anal. My coolant was better that factory new. It was major overkill. I installed it to prove that the tp could function as a coolant filter and would not dissolve in water. After four years, I guess I proved my point.
I changed the tp element on my oil bypass filter every three thousand miles. One TP roll and a quart of oil is a pretty cheap oil change. The one quart of oil per change will keep the additives up.
Gary Allan always said that it would make your motor last longer than the rest of the car. He was right. My truck has the best motor in salvage yard.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
What about the add pack? The oil doesn't wear out (as we would know by hanging around here), but the ADD PACK DOES!! The TP wii filter very efficiently, but that's only part of the the job. I'll pass. Oil isn't that expensive....yet.

It's a bypass filter system, and apparently a very efficient filter indeed, and he says he changes the toilet paper every 3000 miles. Since the system absorbs 1 quart of oil, he has to add a quart of oil to the sump every time he does a TP filter change. That's where he gets new additives added to the old oil.

I have one of those (Motor Guard) I've been tempted to put on the Cummins Ram-if I could get the soot out of the oil I could probably get 25K out of an OCI (with UOAs, of course).

5 years ago, I bought a MotorGuard unit off ebay.
Changed the oil in the 94 Roadmaster wagon to Mobil 1

I have not changed the engine oil now for 40,000 miles. I have changed the TP roll 4 times and same with the Purolator filter.

Car engine runs good. Oil looks decent, but seems more viscous on the dipstick. It will still remain dark brown. I have thought about changing the oil this year. The car uses none. I have sometimes gone too long changing the TP filter. Put your hand on it, if it gets hot, then you know its working.

I kept the same plastic inserts on the inside. They dont fit the TP center properly, SO I take another center and cut it lengthwise removing a small amount. Push that cut piece into the roll and mount it. You may also have to unroll some paper to fit.
Part of how these work is you want a tight fit of the TP roll, but not so tight that you cant squeeze the shells together.
I modified the inlet, you don't want a full flow going into this unit, so you need a restrictor about 1/16 inch hole will work. I soldered up the end and drilled out a brass fitting for that.
I also added a 10 micron gas can filter to the output just in case TP disintegrated but it never does.

So you want to tee off an oil pressure line,(like from the oil cooler) run it into the bypass filter, then take the output and dump it into the oil pan.

Last edited:
This is the one I bought
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?i...ved=0CHQQ8wIwCA

with this one, the roll goes in nice and easy. When you screw it back together, watch that the TP does not pinch where the shells come together. And you can use the correct element in these things. M-723
motor-guard-filter.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Its cool that he can change the filter any time he likes at only the cost of TP. I can get a 4 pack for a $1.25 at walmart. That would be interesting. But why would you go 60k on oil?!?!?!?!
Seems interesting....neat "DIY" project, indeed.....but yea, I too would be interested in seeing some UOAs....their website states it's done "analytics" testing, and such....but don't think that infers "used oil analysing" hehehe...more like, Quality Assurance testing, to say, make sure toilet paper doesn't come out of the cannister, and come into the engine...lol.

P.S. This thing doesn't "replace" your current oil fitler does it? Or does it go between/before/after the current filter? Browsed the site a little bit.....and seemed to have missed that part....

What about the add pack? The oil doesn't wear out (as we would know by hanging around here), but the ADD PACK DOES!! The TP wii filter very efficiently, but that's only part of the the job. I'll pass. Oil isn't that expensive....yet.

Think about the additive package for a moment.

The additive for keeping material dispersed would not be as needed if this TP filter actually removes all that continuously.

The additive for rust/corrosion would not be that important if the TP removes moisture.

The additive for cleaning (detergent) would be less important if the oil is kept clean all the time as with the TP, thus no sludge buildup.

So with the possible exception of the viscosity additive and perhaps zinc, both which may or may not last 20-30k or more (?), it would seem that a persistantly clean oil, really clean oil, could realistically remove the need of some of the additives designed for less filtered oil.

And I think you miss the point as to oil not being that expensive. No, it really isn't. However, engines are! Oil and full flow filters will not prevent the wear that TP will. FF filters pass small particles that cause the most wear! The TP filter catches those particles the FF filter will not.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dickwells
I recall researching these many years ago. Some folks said that the filter would actually filter out some of the additives. The other weak spot was that if any buildup of water is allowed in the oil it can soften the paper and allow it to move to the oil system - goodby engine.

If there is water in the oil, there is water in the oil. The TP has nothing to do with it being in there. If anything, the TP would remove moisture. If you are replacing the TP at the 3k intervals, it isn't going to collect enough moisture to matter. If it did, you have other problems like a coolant leak.

Last edited:

Hi I've had some exposure to this sorta filtering with tp. The additives in the oil are refreshed each time the tp rolls are replaced. The ones I'm aware of use 2 rolls. They actually absorb a good amount of oil that has to be replaced. I think The tpb is changed very 2000 miles or so. But it does appear to keep the oil filtered clean like new.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Its cool that he can change the filter any time he likes at only the cost of TP. I can get a 4 pack for a $1.25 at walmart. That would be interesting. But why would you go 60k on oil?!?!?!?!
Seems interesting....neat "DIY" project, indeed.....but yea, I too would be interested in seeing some UOAs....their website states it's done "analytics" testing, and such....but don't think that infers "used oil analysing" hehehe...more like, Quality Assurance testing, to say, make sure toilet paper doesn't come out of the cannister, and come into the engine...lol.

P.S. This thing doesn't "replace" your current oil fitler does it? Or does it go between/before/after the current filter? Browsed the site a little bit.....and seemed to have missed that part....
back in time these tp filtering set ups were the sole filter and an oil change was considered done when the tp rolls were changed out and oil toped off.
The set ups I've seen today are just a bypass sysyem.you still use your regular filter and just a little oil is bypassed through the tp at a time until after so many revolutions it is filtered very fine by the tp.

Because you can. I intend to install a Puradyn, an NTZ, and a Centrifuge, and never change my oil. I may also have the cleanest oil of any car in America when I get the necessary fabrication complete to accomplish this.

The Puradyn has 5 US Patents; one of which is for timed-release additives to maintain your TBN. The NTZ is 99.97% efficient at 2 microns, which is a beta ratio of 2000. To the best of my knowledge, no manufacturer in America retails a Centrifuge suitable for small sump (automobile/light truck) usage.

The best method of purification would be to use a combination of both purifiers and bypass filtration, since each has its limitations. Centrifugal purifiers are good at removing larger particles and water but not for removing the smaller organo-metallic particles, which a filter will remove. If you already have purifiers, keep them and add bypass filtration.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29426/purifying-engine-oil

The REAL questions are: Who DOESN'T want this to happen? What amount of reduction of oil sales/usage could there possibly be? Would it not be convenient to never have to change the oil in your car?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Looks like they have their own TP brand ... maybe they sub it out to Champion Labs.
grin.gif

tn_FrantzSELECTtpElement.jpg

Oh Yeah! 3 and a half decades ago when I lived in the dorms on campus, I bought 4 of the Frantz filters and wrapped them in the paper wrapper of the cheap toilet paper they had in the dorms. The Frantz filter is NOT like toilet paper in that it cannot be unwound.

Then, when we had a drunken party, I put one Frantz filter on the TP roll and 3 on the shelf. The VERY drunk student who came into the bathroom to vomit and clean up was not at all amused!

The REAL questions are: Who DOESN'T want this to happen? What amount of reduction of oil sales/usage could there possibly be? Would it not be convenient to never have to change the oil in your car? [/quote]

Gotta say I've wondered the same. But then I reason that your really just changing your oil gradually because you have to top up what's absorbed in the to filters. Do I don't think oil companies or any entity profiting from the sale of oil or petrochemicals would suffer a substantial loss if large numbers of people used these

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back