quattro vs xdrive vs 4matic vs sh awd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone have a link comparing these AWD systems. Or what are the advantages and shortcomings of each. I have seen the videos of Xdrive on the roller test, and the Audi video in germany, but would like some real world tests comparing them.

I have only seen SH AWD on split surface (one side ice other pavement) on 30% grade climbing fine. Audi, Lexus were both fails on 20%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZxVefta68

I think BMW x6(only) does fine in similar test>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znb_0RPS9Eg&feature=related

Not sure about other xDrive.

I have SH AWD and beyond happy. I travel snow covered gravel roads at a good clip on all-seasons to our winter home and around corners it kicks power to single rear wheel keeping on track. My sisters CRV cannot keep up.

Originally Posted By: BrownBox88
Don't forget Mitsubishi super AWC. It is superior to acuras.

Unfortunately Mits. offers nothing that is in the same class as Acura, MB, BMW, Audi that I assume the poster is interested in.

A Subie will do everything an Audi will do, for 20 grand less and superior reliability, lol! I'm talking about awd performance, not 0-60 in 5 seconds.

Well, maybe... If you are talking a lightly used A8 coming off a 3-year lease vs. a similar Legacy GT you've just about got the $ right.

Seriously, the AWD system in my SVX has been flawless in almost 20 years of service. And this is with nothing other than the normal fluid changes (transmission, of course + AMSOIL in the front and rear diffs)...

I'm not sure if there is much in the way of actual scheduled services for the others. I know the "RealTime AWD" in my old 6-speed '88 Civic Wagon didn't need anything, but I wonder what the boys from MB, BMW, Audi, Mitsubishi & Acura now have going?

Much less the boys from the (once) Big Three?

Cheers!

p.s. Actually there was one transmission rebuild (under the factory warranty) at 56K but that was due to an initial design abberation vs. anything to do with the AWD system.

I change my transaxle and rear diff lube at 30K intervals with Penzoil synthetic 75w-90. Since I work at a Kia dealer, I get $30/hour labor and parts at 10% over cost....a really good deal!

The Quattros use Torsen differentials, so there must be some resistance to wheel motion on one side to transfer power to the other. The Audis in the videos above would be able to pass the tests if the brakes were applied lightly or if traction control was turned on. I like the Quattro system because I like the concept of the Torsen differential and it's typically entirely mechanical, aside from the optional active differential on performance models.

But that doesn't mean I don't like the others. I haven't heard anything bad about any of those systems in terms of performance or reliability. From what I've read, the X-Drive is a simple planetary gear system for the transfer case, providing a 60r/40f split. The 4-Matic is just basic 4WD with open diffs front, rear, and center, and uses traction control to limit individual wheel spin. The SH-AWD is more complex, but I'm pretty sure it's engaged all the time and just uses electronics to apportion torque at each differential, like Audi's active differential.

Originally Posted By: subiedriver
A Subie will do everything an Audi will do, for 20 grand less and superior reliability, lol! I'm talking about awd performance, not 0-60 in 5 seconds.

A WRX STi will run with most of Audi's lineup. Save for maybe the TT RS and of course the R8.

Disagree, a Subie will go everywhere and do everything an Audi will do, with superior reliability. You can actually do light off-roading with an outback, good ground clearance.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
Audi Quattro.

Hands down, by FAR the best AWD. If you don't agree you're not paying attention.

AWD vs. 4WD: on road or off road. Studded vs. studless. A/T vs. M/T. LSD vs. Locking Diffs.

I guess it all kind'a depends upon where you are going and in what conditions?

Hopefully we would all agree that allmost any functioning AWD system should be better in the ice, snow, the rain, the MUD & THE BLOOD & THE BEER, than regular old FWD or RWD?

From that point GOOD vs. BETTER vs. BEST depends upon the actual conditions. I can testify that the Subaru AWD in my SVX allow safe high(er) speed transit in snow-covered Interstate highways at higher than posted speeds. Allows me to go up a pretty steep hill on ice (with studded tires), albeit at a slow to moderate pace. If you don't drive off the road you don't need to try to get out of a ditch. The 4WD or AWD systems in Jeep are probably a whole lot better in that regard.

Quattro may be the "best" in someone's estimation, but I doubt it is gonna' perform any better getting an A8 out of a ditch than the 4-Matic on a S-Class or an X-Drive on a BMW.

Cheers!

p.s. I'm typically more concerned about STOPPING the vehicle in bad conditions than keeping it going in the direction I want to go.

My wife's 2004 X3 uses the xDrive AWD system, which is superior to rhe Xi system used in the E46 3ers and the early E53 X5. The transfer case has a default torque split of 40/60 F/R but it can send up to 100% to either axle as conditions warrant. Unfortunately, xDrive still relies on DSC to apportion torque between the wheels on a given axle, so the system is really geared(no pun intended) for those who want optimized traction on slick surfaces- not to mention those pathetic imbeciles who say "I'd really like to have a RWD BMW, but I need need a car that I can drive in the rain." I have driven our truck through over 12" of mud and it performed like a champ. BMW claimed that the E83 X3 could drive through 24" of water, but I don't plan to confirm that any time soon.

That said, the system has -in my experience- proven to be very reliable. The transfer case has sensors which monitor clutch plate wear, servo load, and fluid temperature, and the system will set an internal fault code when the fluid needs to be changed. However, most dealers don't check for this fault during regular maintenance. My dealer does check, but I still change the fluid at 60,000 mile intervals. It is an extremely easy procedure- just like changing the oil on a manual transmission. The oil is pricey -@$60/liter- but the TC just takes @0.7 liters. At almost 130,000 miles we have had no problems with the system- or with the entire truck for that matter(aside from an SRS sensor recall).

The SH AWD in my vehicle really helps it on dry roads when driving hard and noticable on gravels.

Basically can send 100% torque to a single rear wheel and can actually run it 1.5% faster to outer wheel to cut understeer.

Video if interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vuUaqFnsb2M#t=54s

The service monitor (OLM) tells when fluid needs changing based on operating parameters. It was ATF Z1 in rear diff but not available so Acura has new rear diff fluid (Synthetic) that is about $8/qt x3. Easy to change but requires fluid pump.

Audi Quattro.

Hands down, by FAR the best AWD. If you don't agree you're not paying attention.

I have seen it fail in certain situations although I think all the greats will in a certain condition.

One test was a Q7 vs SH AWD MDX on steep split surface(ice one side pavement other).

Another was a Q5 in a huge fail in another:
http://www.youtube.com/v/mkQ5yBnS4SU

In the end if you get to your destination it worked!

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Audi Quattro.

I have seen it fail in certain situations although I think all the greats will in a certain condition.

One test was a Q7 vs SH AWD MDX on steep split surface(ice one side pavement other).

Another was a Q5 in a huge fail in another:
http://www.youtube.com/v/mkQ5yBnS4SU

In the end if you get to your destination it worked!

It's very easy to stack the deck against a Torsen based AWD system. Torsen differentials operate based on a torque imbalance and uses the imbalance to bias against itself. When you completely eliminate that bias (like lifting a wheel off the ground), you turn it into an open differential.

The easiest way to correct this is the most low tech: Two foot driving. When the tire comes off the ground, having your foot on the brake will slow the axle with no friction and give the Torsen some bias to work against. This is HMMWV (which use Torsen diffs front and rear) Driving 101 in the military. I would expect Audi to do this themselves though BTCS (like everybody else does), but then again, it's easy enough to simply turn traction control off to slant the test results and make it look like an inferior AWD system, if that's your agenda.

That said, it's equally easy to defeat most "high tech" AWD systems. Take out a wheel speed sensor. No more AWD.

My 2WD Chevrolet Trailblazer with its G80 locking rear differential can walk through both of the tests with no drama. No high tech AWD system needed.

Personally, if I were looking for the "ultimate" AWD system, I'd go straight to Jeep.

QuadraDrive II uses a electronic clutch in it's full-time NV242 transfer case. Both front and rear axles are equipped with an eLSD. This gives complete real-time torque vectoring from front to rear and side to side. On top of that, you've still got low range and the ability to lock the transfer case, plus a decent size tire. You can actually get out of the ditch you followed that Audi into.

If you're not into all the whiz-bang eLSD and electronic center clutch, pick up an older vehicle with the QuadraDrive system. No electronics at all. Gerotor pump in the transfer case and a gerotor pump at each axle. Low tech, but still able to transfer torque to any corner. You've also got 4LO and a locked transfer case if you get into trouble.

Both system blur the line between AWD and 4WD. In their normal operating state, they truly are an AWD system. Having the 4LO ability give them the utility of a 4WD system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back