atf and ps question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The brakes and clutch in my mustang call for dot 3. I should stick with 3 not 4,correct? Also, the power steering calls for mercon according to chiltons. But I've been reading that they back spec now to mercon v. So what should I use? Thanks

I use type f in my older ford but i have heard of many guys using atf in the pumps and have never had a problem. it is spec'd for type f so the older ones are definatly hard to kill with fluid choice. But cant comment on the newer ones. But I can say mercon v is the only fluid that is sold and made to be compatble with everything that was spec'd for the past mercon versions.

it is just not interchangable with the LV required newer fords. (that use LV) And LV cant be used where past mercons were reccomended hence the mercon V.

here a cool brake fluid chart

Dry boiling point

Wet boiling point

DOT 3

205 °C (401 °F)

140 °C (284 °F)

DOT 4

230 °C (446 °F)

155 °C (311 °F)

DOT 5

260 °C (500 °F)

180 °C (356 °F)

DOT 5.1

270 °C (518 °F)

190 °C (374 °F)

Dot 3, 4, 5.1 are glycol based and 5 is silicone based.

Dot 5 is supposed to be the wonder fluid for brakes. You dont have to touch it as long as the system is not opened up. instead of the other DOT's which have to be flushed every 1-2 years. you cant mix fluids with different dot numbers either. id go with the reccomended fluids and what ever you want brand.

DOT 3 and 4 can mix, but DOT 5 will not mix with either one. DOT 5 is also not compatible with antilock brakes. Unless you have a Harley-Davidson motorcycle or an antique car, don't use DOT 5.

DOT 3 is good old brake fluid, DOT 4 is better, but both work, and is becoming more common just because its a "better" fluid in terms of its boiling point.

If you can get DOT 4 for the same price, use it, it has a higher boiling point and mixes just fine with DOT 3. If you're cheap, buy DOT 3, since obviously its been working just fine.

To switch to silicone DOT 5, is stupid, and difficult. It'll cause a host of problems because its incompatible and is largely restricted to some really specific high performance applications.

DOT 5.1 on the other hand, is just "better" fluid but the same as DOT 3 or 4, so again, DOT 5.1? You can mix with DOT 3 (or replace DOT 3 with it) but, unless you're racing and need it, its just added cost.

As for the power steering? Just use the latest Mercon. If its rated for Mercon, any newer Mercon fluid should work fine. [censored] any regular "Mercon/Dexron" or multi-vehicle ATF fluid should be more then enough for the power steering.

Most power steering systems don't flinch anyhow running regular GM/Ford ATF. I wouldn't use type F.

There are chemical differences between DOT3, DOT4, DOT5.1 that gives them their increasingly better wet boiling point. In most brake systems it does not matter. In a very few systems this chemical difference may damage the elastomers. I haven't found a problem using the DOT4 fluids in my vehicles that call for DOT3.

DOT5...noooooo. It is more compressible than the normal glycol fluids so gives a softer brake pedal and is not compatible with ABS. It does not absorb moisture into the fluid, so any moisture puddles in the bottom of the system and causes rust.

I'd pick up a synthetic ATF recommended for Mercon usage for that power steering. The syn ATF might remain good longer under the heat of the service. I've added Magnefine or SPXFiltran inline filters to my power steering return lines and are now up to 200,000 miles on one, 115,000 on the other, with no repairs, just periodic fluid and filter replacements.

When my buddy finished building his '62 Vette restoration and upgraded the front drum brakes to disk brakes and a 1970something Chevy master cylinder(non power brakes), he used DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid.

He was concerned about hurting the expensive paint work that he did on his beauty. It's been 11 years now and the brake system is fine in spite of what I told him about the DOT 5 Silicone not being compatible with his system.

He did nothing special to the brake system to allow the DOT 5 Silicone fluid which has surprised me to this day. I have much hands on with this car(mainly interior work) and I also installed the whole brake setup F/R. He mounted the M/C and bent all of the tubing.

We bench blead the M/C prior to installation and then proceded to bleed the remainder of the system, again using DOT 5 Silicone.
As I stated, he was concerned about getting DOT 3/4 on the paint during all of the brake system installation process which is why he elected to use DOT 5 Silicone.

Now, I'm not saying to use DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid in our everyday vehicles, I am just telling of an experience of a good friend and I can't beleive it's working well in his application considering he made no upgrades to his brake system in terms of gaskets, seals, O rings, to allow for the DOT 5 Silicone.

As far as the brake fluid, if you're flushing regularly, Dot3 or Dot4 work equally well for street use. If you tend to ignore brake flushes, I'd stick with Dot3, since it's boiling point tends to be reduced less as water is introduced into the system. (the boiling point of new fluid will be higher w/Dot 4, the boiling point of 4 year old fluid will be higher w/Dot3).

Regarding the PS, I've run both Maxlife and Mobil1 Syn ATF in my Ford's PS pump. With most cars it may not matter, but I had the dreaded Ford PS whine @ 35K or so. Since switching to a better fluid, it's gone away. I did a full flush at first, and now I just drain/refill the reservoir once a year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back