Using 10W-30 instead of 5W-30 - 2007 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question...will it hurt if I use 10W-30 oil instead of the recommended 5W-30 oil in my 2007 new body style Chevy Silverado? I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, so we don't really see much cold weather in the winter, and the summers are brutally hot, so I thought I'd just check and see what the peanut gallery thought.

Nope! I used Mobil 1 10w-30 in my 2008 until I traded it at 60K... never an issue and we share a climate just about... In fact before Dexos our bulk Goodwrench oil at the dealership was 10w-30...

Climate may be the reason 10w is ok. I know my Lexus owner's guide says that 10w is ok if it is the only thing available, but change to 5w at the next oil change. I can only imagine that that is a blanket recommendation for the US as they don't know your climate.

However, I like the idea of using 5w because if I ever decide to travel somewhere, then I am in good shape. Eg here in California, there are lots of ski resorts and interesting mountainous areas to visit in winter.

Dparm is correct, forget your thinking that 10w30 is "better", stick with a good 5w30. PYB, VWB and others out there are fine choices. My oil caps both state 5w30

A 5/30 will protect perfectly in the summer,how is the truck used 90% of the time?

are you a synthetic or conventional guy?

That 10w30 will work like a charm unless you go to the great white north. I would not sweat that one bit. My vehicles down here in AL which has similar winters do fine on 10w30 all winter long.

My dad only ever ran 10w30 conventional in a 2003 6.0l GMC 2500HD. Specification is 5w-30, location is also Pennsylvania like me. He is up to 130,000 miles. I now got him to change to 5w-30 PP. And one big note he is ridiculously hard on vehicles, kind of like beyond design of the truck torture testing EVERY DAY!

10W30 is an older spec oil, with a bit of shearing over time, it will shear down to 5W30.

Newer spec'ed 5W30 and 5W20, are, IMHO more robust oil nowadays and unless you have some serious bearing clearance issues (excessive clearance, insufficient oil pressure from the oil pump, or combination of both), granted that your engine is designed to use 5W30, why not use 5W30 then?

IMHO 10W30 is on it's way out...

My 2c's worth.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
10W30 is an older spec oil, with a bit of shearing over time, it will shear down to 5W30.

Really?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Craig39630
Quick question...will it hurt if I use 10W-30 oil instead of the recommended 5W-30 oil in my 2007

Why do you ask? Is there a particular reason you want to use 10w30... like having a surplus you need to use up?

Anyway, the quick answer is no, it will not hurt your engine. However, all things considered, 5w30 would be the better choice.

10W-30 is so slow at flowing, it takes a full 5 minutes to reach all the bearings on startup. But 5W-30 only takes 2/100ths of a second to reach all the bearings. With 10W-30, you're gonna find a lot of metal shavings at the bottom of the oil pan.

Trolling.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
10W-30 is so slow at flowing, it takes a full 5 minutes to reach all the bearings on startup. But 5W-30 only takes 2/100ths of a second to reach all the bearings. With 10W-30, you're gonna find a lot of metal shavings at the bottom of the oil pan.

Trolling.gif

+1

I live down near Ft Hood, TX and the GM dealers use 10w-30 in the trucks...I ran PP 10w-30 with no issues. If you're worried run 5w-30 from like late Oct to March...

I currently use synthetic (M1, Synpower, etc.) but usually change it at no higher than a 5,000 mile OCI (it's usually around 3,500 to 4,000 miles), so I figure to save some money, I might as well switch to a good quality dino. The reason I asked about using 10W-30 is my local Costco carries Chevron Supreme 10W-30, and usually 2 or 3 times a year have a coupon which reduces a case of 12 quarts to around $25 or so.

My driving is probably about 60% city roads and 40% on the interstate, and I don't really get on it too much. I also don't ever tow anything.

Originally Posted By: Craig39630
I currently use synthetic (M1, Synpower, etc.) but usually change it at no higher than a 5,000 mile OCI (it's usually around 3,500 to 4,000 miles), so I figure to save some money, I might as well switch to a good quality dino. The reason I asked about using 10W-30 is my local Costco carries Chevron Supreme 10W-30, and usually 2 or 3 times a year have a coupon which reduces a case of 12 quarts to around $25 or so.

My driving is probably about 60% city roads and 40% on the interstate, and I don't really get on it too much. I also don't ever tow anything.

Well to save money and stop wasting good synthetic running it only 3,500-4,000 miles why not run off your OLM? get more money outa the synthetic fill by changing it LESS often, because by the looks of how you operate that truck it's by no means severe duty,a good quality synthetic M1,PP,PU,etc would easily do the OLM OCI.(8-10K)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back