2001 Honda CR-V Differential oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have a manual for the 2001 CRV? What is the recomendation for the differential on the manual transmission 4x4 model?

I googled it first hit was a factory manual
recommending

"Check the fluid level with the rear
differential at normal operating
temperature and the vehicle sitting
on level ground. Remove the
differential fluid filler bolt and
washer and carefully feel inside the
bolt hole with your finger. The fluid
level should be up to the edge of the
bolt hole. If it is not, slowly add
Honda Dual Pump Fluid until it
starts to run out of the hole. Reinstalll
the filler bolt and tighten it securely.
If the Dual Pump Fluid is not
available, you may use Honda
Premium Formula Automatic
Transmission Fluid (ATF) or a
quality DEXRON® III ATF as a
temporary replacement. However,
continued use can cause noise,
vibration and performance problems.
Have the differential drained and
refilled with Honda Dual Pump Fluid
as soon as it is convenient.
The rear differential should be
drained and refilled with new fluid
according to the time and distance
recommendations in the maintenance
schedule.
Maintenance"

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/CR0101/CR0101MAINIDX.pdf

google is your friend... sometimes
smile.gif

Last edited:
I pulled up that page you link, but it is only an index and the links go nowhere. I had pulled it twice earlier today from the Honda site.

Dealer said just use Dexron. mechanic said 80W-90. Honda does not import any fluids.

Originally Posted By: widman
Anyone have a manual for the 2001 CRV? What is the recomendation for the differential on the manual transmission 4x4 model?

FRONT diff or REAR diff?

If REAR diff, use ONLY Honda's Dual Pump fluid. This is available at any Honda dealer.

I pulled up that page you link, but it is only an index and the links go nowhere.

Works fine for me. Maybe you have an old browser.

Interesting that they say that Dexron or Honda ATF could be used as a temporary measure if the Dual Pump Fluid is not available. They're apparently close enough in nature to be loose substitutes, at least on a short term basis.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Interesting that they say that Dexron or Honda ATF could be used as a temporary measure if the Dual Pump Fluid is not available. They're apparently close enough in nature to be loose substitutes, at least on a short term basis.

Yes, but you will quickly get weird rubbing-noises with incorrect fluid.

The substitutes are approved only so you can put some lube in there, since you can't drive with the diff being dry.

Front differential is part of the transmission, so Honda Manual Transmission Fluid, or I believe 10W-30 engine oil will suffice. That was the case on my '04 CR-V.

Rear differential only uses Honda Dual Pump Fluid or Honda Dual Pump Fluid II.

use only the honda fluid. i'm surprised dex III is even spoken of - except as a limp-home solution to keep the thing from seizing. The dual-pump lube, if I were to guess, is a HFM fluid with a LS additive, and lots of it. When the fluid gets old, that thing gets cantankerous in a parking lot, and that fluid really doesn't last very long.... 30k and it can start to act up.

yup only use dual pump fluid in the rear diff, or you get grinding noises when your turning.

Front diff/transmission use Honda DW-1 or a universal substitute that meets the Honda ATF-Z1 fluid spec.

Originally Posted By: Mau

Front diff/transmission use Honda DW-1 or a universal substitute that meets the Honda ATF-Z1 fluid spec.

Wrong, he has a manual transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back