BMW oem coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW coolant specification N 600 69.0 is a hybrid. This is from their suppliers European web page:

BMW coolant is a premium-grade coolant that employs hybrid technology. It contains a mixture of inorganic and organic corrosion inhibitors to protect the cooling system.

This coolant is colored bluish green.

Here is the USA it sells for $23.50 per gallon and is to be diluted 50/50 with distilled or demineralized water.

In Europe you should look for Glysantin G-48 or Pentosin Pentofrost NF as aftermarket products.

Thanks-I can get G48 as an aftermarket product sold by Comma Oil which is a well respected UK brand owned by XOM. The BMW oem coolant is only sold in 1.5 litre bottles and is £9.99 or about $15 so is quite expensive here.

Wow, I just changed the coolant in my E46 323i this past weekend. I went to the dealer and got a gallon. The price here in the USA for Pentosin Pentofrost NF is about $13 for a 1,5 liter container so it's considerably more expensive than the dealership coolant.

I don't know what the recommendations are for coolant changes in the UK but here it's a 4 year event. My car is nearly 14 years old (mfgr'd in Nov '98) and when I replaced the thermostat housing due to a crack in the plastic casting the interior of the cylinder head looked brand new. Not a single speck of corrosion on any metal parts to include the thermostat.

I think the OEM stuff is well worth the price.

I have complaints about OEM coolants.

First, you have to have a chemical PhD to understand the different chemistry/compatibilities of the various coolants. So I just buy OEM (except for GM's Dexcoolant) for my Nissan and my son's Honda.

Second complaint, like everything else OEM and from the dealer, they are expensive !

Last edited:
Good to know that whatever the chemistry of the BMW coolant that in the real world it does seem to work well based on your observations.

IIRC my 2010 BMW owners manual says the coolant never needs to be changed. Hmmm....

Yeah, G48 is the chemistry. I had a spec sheet that compared the various chemistries. G48 was within a hair from G05 as far as I could see. But over many years the relative cost of coolant per mile is so low that I use OE chemistry (not necessarily OE supplied).

Originally Posted By: Burt
IIRC my 2010 BMW owners manual says the coolant never needs to be changed. Hmmm....

Well, sure, it's a lifetime fluid. If your cooling system conks out after 80K miles, then the fluid has lasted its lifetime.
smile.gif

I think it is 2-EHA with silicates. Look at the MSDS link for G48 http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/353. So a silicated HOAT with an OAT similar to Dexcool. It may contain borates instead potassium or sodium hydroxide for the buffer like Dexcool does. KOH is probably better for aluminum. I don't see much point in paying premium price for something not far from dexcool with a little silicates if you have a pressurised surge tank or degas bottle.

You guys are correct. I didn't even think to ask what year the OP's vehicle was. BMW does use a different coolant in their newer cars than they used in my older model. The new BMW coolant is the product that is sold for their Mini line.

Sorry but I have absolutely zero experience with that stuff. It is listed as being a lifetime product though.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I think it is 2-EHA with silicates. Look at the MSDS link for G48 http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/353. So a silicated HOAT with an OAT similar to Dexcool. It may contain borates instead potassium or sodium hydroxide for the buffer like Dexcool does. KOH is probably better for aluminum. I don't see much point in paying premium price for something not far from dexcool with a little silicates if you have a pressurised surge tank or degas bottle.

Interestingly enough, coolant from BMW is cheaper than buying Prestone from CT locally. Wild eh?

Originally Posted By: FowVay
BMW coolant specification N 600 69.0 is a hybrid........Here is the USA it sells for $23.50 per gallon and is to be diluted 50/50 with distilled or demineralized water.......

Wow, that is cheaper than Subaru OE coolant. The last gallon I bought in Oct 2009 was $26.

Thanks very much for all your helpful replies and technical info and links-I appreciate it.
As I only need a small amount to bring overflow bottle up to Max mark think I will go with the the BMW coolant in view of the small difference in cost between that and the Comma G48 product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back