E46 330i air filter: OEM vs Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I think the pictures speak for themselves.

330ifilter01.jpg

330ifilter02.jpg

330ifilter03.jpg

330ifilter04.jpg

When I bought air and oil filters for my E430, I always stay with Mann, Mahle ... German filters only. I don't buy Wix nor Purolator nor Fram ...

E90s throw the check engine light if they dont have the fleece on the outside haha. The worst are the Polish made ones, they have the orange gasket and paper so it looks OE, but half the pleats and half the thickness.

That old filter does not look good, not dirty, but look's like to got wet. But, yeah big difference between OEM and purolator.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Purolator are just fine, its only a BMW.

It has nothing to do with the Purolator being "just fine", it is that the Chinese-sourced purolator was warped, didn't fit properly, didn't SEAL properly, the surround was coming apart and would be MORE expensive to purchase from Canadian Tire or a jobber than the Austrian-sourced BMW filter which was better constructed in every possible way.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Purolator are just fine, its only a BMW.

BTW, I have to ask, where the heck does a comment like this come from?

It could be a Corolla, Focus....etc it could be any bloody car, I just posted what it was out of.

But because it's a BMW, I get some off-colour comment like this one? WHY?

The filter, Purolator or not, was a Chinese-sourced POS. The OEM filter was FAR better quality. I don't care if it's for a bloody lawn tractor, that wasn't the point! It was simply a comparison between an obviously superior OEM filter and a poorly made aftermarket "equivalent".

Filters are really a toss up from what I've seen.

I got a Purolator cabin air filter for my Mercedes really cheap (would always go OEM for Air Filter).

I got excited when I saw it had Mann written on it.

Then I compared it to the OEM filter inside the car and it had half the pleats. It was nowhere near as good.

But good thing I checked because they hadn't done a good job of fitting in the OEM filter. It had just been stuffed in there and bent in places.

Usually its Mann, although none of the WorldPac pics shows the fleece element, just a normal paper. Either Mann, Mahle or Hengst.

That filter with the foam is a Mahle (original installment and made in Austria). The Mann filter (now sourced from Mexico) will have a white pre-filter that looks like a piece of scotch-brite pad. They're both good quality but I specify the Mahle for the air and the Mann for the oil. I use Mahle fuel filters and Mann cabin air filters since that's what came in my car from the factory.

The air filters are only $13 so it's not a life-changing expenditure to get the OEM stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back