Small oil filter on infiniti G37-good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys:

Just bought new infiniti G37 and noticed the filter is very small (Note: they recommend 3700 Mile oil changes). Normally you would think a large filter is better, but is that really true if you are doing shorter oil change intervals?

Some points:

-small filter: maybe quicker oil to top of engine? Doesn't really make sense if you have a good check valve. Saves space and maybe is all that is needed.

-large filter: more filter surface, therefore better oil flow. Also, can hold more dirt and deposits.

Thoughts?

JR

I agree, Nissans have small oil filters. My 3.5 liter Murano has the same size, it's smaller than some lawn mowers !

I don't see any advantage to a smaller filter except for clearance reasons.

Originally Posted By: jrcowboys
Guys:

Just bought new infiniti G37 and noticed the filter is very small (Note: they recommend 3700 Mile oil changes).

If it's the typical Nissan engine layout, the the Purolator 14610 (or similar sized in other brands) is about as big as you can find for that engine.

According to Purolator, they want you to use the small 14612 ... so the 14610 is the larger brother of that filter.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/reso...7&year=2012

Originally Posted By: 229
Higher oil pressure.

Please explain.
36.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Higher oil pressure.

Please explain.
36.gif

Less pressure drop area.

Higher oil pressure.

Please explain.
36.gif

Less pressure drop area.

True ... all that does is give the pump a little more headroom before going into pressure relief mode.

The only time you would see any higher engine oil pressure is when the oil pump is in pressure relief mode (ie, near engine redline). Anytime the oil pump is out of pressure relief (like at idle or low RPM) the oil pressure should be the same regardless of how restrictive the filter is ... unless the positive displacement oil pump is extremely worn out and leaking at it's sealing surfaces.

If it's the typical Nissan engine layout, the the Purolator 14610 (or similar sized in other brands) is about as big as you can find for that engine.

If it's like my G37, there's plenty of space for a longer filter, and all I can find is one upsize, too, as you mentioned. Width wise is a little different. For length, as I mentioned somewhere else, you could probably weld two together.
wink.gif

I'm not sure why they speced such a small filter. Perhaps that's just what they've used for a lot of applications. Having driven a lot of Chevy small blocks and Ford with the FL-1A specification, I guess I'm "used to" larger filters. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with smaller filters, particularly on the short Nissan/Infiniti severe service OCI.

Up until a few years ago Purolator recommended the 14610 for my 05 Altima VQ35. Now they recommend the 14612. The last time I bought a Fram XG they recommended the longer 14610 size.

Originally Posted By: steveh
Up until a few years ago Purolator recommended the 14610 for my 05 Altima VQ35. Now they recommend the 14612. The last time I bought a Fram XG they recommended the longer 14610 size.

It's probably because Nissan shows the short filter for the V6, and the long filter for the 4-cylinder. I think Nissan has it backwards.
lol.gif

I've got a 2004 Altima with the V6, and noticed the same thing. I tried to get an answer from Nissan on why the short filter was on the V6 and they said because the long filter hits the fender well curtain ... which it doesn't, so don't know who they have working the engineering on that one.
crazy.gif

14610 is caleld for on my wife's Armada so would be for Titan as well. I was surprised such a small filter on a V8 engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back