Motorcraft Synblend VS TropArtic 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found Trop Artic at Sams 12 Quarts for about $27. How much difference is there between the Motorcraft Syn blend and the Trop Artic Synblend 5W20 GF-5 oils. Does anyone know about what percentage is synthetic in the Trop Artic? Pretty cheap at $2.29 per quart.

I have never used the Trop Artic. I have used a large amount of the MC. The MC is a very good oil and has lately been reported to be about 60% synthetic since the SN/GF5 change. I know the MC will do well for a 5-6k oci maybe more but my normal oci is at the 5-6k mark. I can only testify to the Motorcraft Synblend in 5w-20.

They're both made by ConocoPhillips and are very similar. Your engine won't notice the difference as it is almost identical oil just a different bottle color n label.

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
Found Trop Artic at Sams 12 Quarts for about $27. How much difference is there between the Motorcraft Syn blend and the Trop Artic Synblend 5W20 GF-5 oils. Does anyone know about what percentage is synthetic in the Trop Artic? Pretty cheap at $2.29 per quart.

Check the VOA Section.

Originally Posted By: volk06
They're both made by ConocoPhillips and are very similar. Your engine won't notice the difference as it is almost identical oil just a different bottle color n label.

Base oils are different. The Trop Artic base comes from Korea.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Base oils are different. The Trop Artic base comes from Korea.

Partially correct. The group III used for both comes from Korea. Same goes for all the CP oils. The conventional part comes from the US. Same oil different bottles for the most part. They all say made in USA on them but only the full syn kendall mentions Korea.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Makes me wonder about the Kendall//76 oils as well, since both can be bought online...

Comments: I had purchased Kendall Full Synthetic 5w-30 motor oil because the data sheet said it met the HT-06 certification. Now it has no mention of that spec but mentions Dexos 1 instead. Why has the HT-06 certification been removed? Also, Conoco Phillips makes Trop Artic synthetic blend as well, is this the same as Kendall with Liquid Titanium or do they have completely different additive packages? Thank you for your time

My response from CP:

Cody,

Thank you for your interest in our products..

Our latest formulations do not boast the HT-06 spec because we cannot get formal approval from Honda for the slight formulation changes that we made. The reason for this is that Honda's testing facility was destroyed recently via natural disaster. Once their facility is back up, we fully expect to obtain formal approval with no problems.

The Phillips products and the Kendall products are VERY similar. However, the Kendall line is the only one that we feature our "liquid titanium" additive in.
Encouragement,
--Mike
ConocoPhillips Technical Services

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Makes me wonder about the Kendall//76 oils as well, since both can be bought online...

Comments: I had purchased Kendall Full Synthetic 5w-30 motor oil because the data sheet said it met the HT-06 certification. Now it has no mention of that spec but mentions Dexos 1 instead. Why has the HT-06 certification been removed? Also, Conoco Phillips makes Trop Artic synthetic blend as well, is this the same as Kendall with Liquid Titanium or do they have completely different additive packages? Thank you for your time

My response from CP:

Cody,

Thank you for your interest in our products..

Our latest formulations do not boast the HT-06 spec because we cannot get formal approval from Honda for the slight formulation changes that we made. The reason for this is that Honda's testing facility was destroyed recently via natural disaster. Once their facility is back up, we fully expect to obtain formal approval with no problems.

The Phillips products and the Kendall products are VERY similar. However, the Kendall line is the only one that we feature our "liquid titanium" additive in.
Encouragement,
--Mike
ConocoPhillips Technical Services

That is good to know...

What. CP is using Korean syn base oil? Seems to collide with their USA flag emblem and boast of "Made in USA." Maybe it needs to say "Blended in USA"?

Ive used the Motorcraft blend for a few years and no problems that I'm aware of without running a UOA. I bought this Trop Artic blend and I assume it is good enough for a 5,000 or so run/6 month run on the motorcraft filter. It says on the bottle that it meets the same Ford Spec as the Motorcraft so I think I'm good for that as I am still under the powertrain warranty.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
What. CP is using Korean syn base oil? Seems to collide with their USA flag emblem and boast of "Made in USA." Maybe it needs to say "Blended in USA"?

That would be more accurate but I'd say almost every oil manufacturer uses imported base oils for some of their formulations. Who knows what base oils BP uses and where they get it from. Its speculated that the new PU is using the GTL base stocks from the new plant over seas. Atleast CP is giving us more information than many of the other companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back