How long do you run a serpentine belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While cracks are acceptable for serpentines, at least to an extent, I just change it when I feel like it, based upon seeing cracks and the belt looking more brownish in color due to oxidation.

Road salt has a large impact on belt durability. Most cars I see that spent time near road salt don't get much more than 4 years out of a belt.

Anyway, belt life varies depending on the car. Many of the early Toyota 2AZ-FE engines got no more than 2 years of life from a belt. However, on the better Toyota engines, it is easy to get 8 years of life from a belt.

The other problem is that sometimes a belt is fine, but then it gets destroyed by a failed part or 2 on the drive system. The GM 3100 and 3400 V6 engines are in my experience, equipped with the worst crankshaft pulleys and second worst belt tensioners.

Until they start to crack, which seems to take a long time. I know of a couple with 200k on them that are still fine.

funny, just did my '03 Accord OE belt today $36 OEM Honda..had a crack every 1/8"..son had the 14mm tool made this a snap done in 5min.

I just changed the belt in my wifes 2005 F150 yesterday (major PMs done on this truck in the last few days. Coolant flush, ATF flush and filter change, and diff oil changed). The old belt was 6 years old with 110k on it and not a 1 crack in any of the ribs. If I was driving the truck the majority of the time I would have left it be, but I dont want to take the chance being the wife drives it 98% of the time.

The old belt went in the dry box for one of those side of the road repairs if need be. And I hope hope hope that never comes to be because changing it in my driveway was a cause for skinned up arms and a cussing match of biblical proportions.

Last edited:
I usually run them until they start making noises and in my experience, Gates belts don't last any longer than some of the others.

Wayne

I replaced the OE belt on my truck last month at 82k km/51k mi not because the belt showed any signs of wear (it looked brand new) but the belt was beginning to get noisy. Replaced it with a Delco belt from RockAuto and all is quiet again. No signs of any misalignment of the pulleys.

Originally Posted By: George7941
I replaced the OE belt on my truck last month at 82k km/51k mi not because the belt showed any signs of wear (it looked brand new) but the belt was beginning to get noisy. Replaced it with a Delco belt from RockAuto and all is quiet again. No signs of any misalignment of the pulleys.

I did the same on my 2004 Monte Carlo SS this past summer. It had about 94,000 miles on it and the belt started getting noisy. I bought this car used 2 years ago so I don't know if they had ever been changed but when I took them off, they both looked original. I replaced them both and all was quiet.

Wayne

On my trucks below at about 70-75k miles(they still look fine). I keep those belts under the seat for a spare. From then on only as needed. the 04 is on its third belt and the others on their second. So I would 150k miles is fine on the trucks.

Hoses go 10 years regardless of mileage.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
funny, just did my '03 Accord OE belt today $36 OEM Honda..had a crack every 1/8"..son had the 14mm tool made this a snap done in 5min.

I'll mention the wear indicator was still in the 'normal' range @ 145k mi. so not streched real bad at all and no chunks missing...replacement was a Bando wrapped in a Honda pkg.

also wanted to buy a new Honda pcv but the parts guy said they don't bother to stock them because couple squirts of brake or carb cleaner and their like new...so did that, saved $15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back