A Subaru with Blizzaks is like cheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, a Subaru with 'real' snow tires is a fantastic winter car. I bought mine back in 2000 for that very reason since I was tired of driving cars that were just 'good enough' to get around in upstate NY winters. The $400 I spent at Tire Rack for a set of cheap mounted Dunlop Graspics was the best money I ever spent beyond the car itself. Winter driving was no longer stressful, it was almost fun.

Originally Posted By: MI_Roger
Originally Posted By: Brenden
Yeah they are totally in control and speeding ahead of everyone until that false sense of security ......

Is suddenly interrupted by some Nimrod going too fast on bald tires, spinning out of control, and wiping out the well controlled car riding on good rubber. Eventhough I always install snow tires on my car each winter I still run at the same speed as the bald A/S tired pack, using my better rubber to avoid the Nimrods once they lose control.
That's the wrong way to do it-PASS all the nimrods before they have a chance to lose control & take the side of your car off!

Had many vehicles

Had many tires, many many miles and been through some stuff.

After I put on a pair of Blizzak DM-V1's on my Envoy I could not believe what this tire could do. Two years ago we had about 22" here and with about 12" on the ground and over the bottom of my door, I had trouble getting stuck in 2WD. Starting up a hill it barely spun...in 2WD, brakng was another story and was like the road was wet and this is where the money is spent.

Using 4WD wasn't even fun anymore...these tires in 2WD almost matched the Cross-Terrains in 4WD.

The fact I could come to a rapid stop on hard packed snow, practically glazed over, was extremely comforting in the event of a panic stop or trying to avoid someone sliding.

I put a pair of WS-60's on our Jetta when we had it so my wife could have the same level of comfort since we get alot of sleet/freezing rain here as well as snow.

There are alot of winter tires avail, but the Blizzaks are the real deal.

I could see where a Subaru shod with these tires could be almost unfair....
laugh.gif

So; what is the story behind that picture??? And which camera is that? It sure has a really powerful flash! If it was that icy, would you have gone at the end of your driveway just to take the picture?? Now if I were a good detective, I could have looked up the EXIF data in the image myself :)

By the wat, this picture is a classic and needs to be preserved!

- Vikas

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: i6pwr
Had many vehicles

Had many tires, many many miles and been through some stuff.

After I put on a pair of Blizzak DM-V1's on my Envoy I could not believe what this tire could do. Two years ago we had about 22" here and with about 12" on the ground and over the bottom of my door, I had trouble getting stuck in 2WD. Starting up a hill it barely spun...in 2WD, brakng was another story and was like the road was wet and this is where the money is spent.

Using 4WD wasn't even fun anymore...these tires in 2WD almost matched the Cross-Terrains in 4WD.

The fact I could come to a rapid stop on hard packed snow, practically glazed over, was extremely comforting in the event of a panic stop or trying to avoid someone sliding.

I put a pair of WS-60's on our Jetta when we had it so my wife could have the same level of comfort since we get alot of sleet/freezing rain here as well as snow.

There are alot of winter tires avail, but the Blizzaks are the real deal.

I could see where a Subaru shod witth these tires could be almost unfair....
laugh.gif

Every Blizzaks owner becomes an evangelist for the product, they're that good. How many things do you buy where you can't wait to tell the whole world how great it is?

I got some blizzack ws70's this year.. totally different car but id say they are slightly better than the conti ewc.

I would still buy the conti's if they were significantly cheaper.(20$/tire or so)

Pretty much all the top tier ones are great so its just splitting hairs.

some others are significantly worse but still lightyears ahead of your average no-season tires.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back