Not pleased with aftermarket DEPO headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skip to the end if you're only interested in my observations.

I unfortunately didn't take any pictures so you'll have to take my word for it. My sister drives a hand-me-down 2005 Toyota Camry that's been in the family since it was purchased new in 2005. The car is parked outside so the headlights have gotten a bit cloudy from sun damage. I looked at various headlight refinishing kits from 3M and the like but it seemed as though all of them only yielded temporary results since they invariably removed the protective hard-coat from the lights. This lead me to look at replacing the headlights.

I priced out a set of OEM Toyota lights which came to over $200 each plus tax or shipping, depending from whom I bought them from. Feeling I could perhaps do reasonably well with aftermarket lamps, I did some research and found that DEPO-branded lights were received favorably by people who had used them, and the price was right- around $75 each. I bought the non-CAPA versions since thinking that would be the version most people would buy themselves and that the quality would be acceptable, if not good.

The lights came relatively quickly and I opted to go ahead and install them in my garage. I marked off the edges of the beams from the factory headlights on the garage door for both comparison and alignment, and then proceeded to replace only the driver's side headlight. Fitment was good although not great and it was a bear to seat the light properly in the car and get the screw-holes to match-up with the corresponding holes in the car. Upon turning on the lights I immediately noticed a lot of light scattered above where the original light's output had been. Hoping it could be improved through aligning the light, I raised the beam slightly until the outline of the bulk of the light matched the factory lamp. There was still a lot of stray light where it should not have been, as well as the beam from the headlight being more narrow than the factory lamp. Disappointed in the lights, I opted to return them to the seller for a full-refund.

I'm now going to simply refinish the headlights with the 3M kit and get some sort of protective film to prevent future damage to the lamps.

What have your experiences been with aftermarket lights? Do they mirror my own?

My old Buick came with a Depo aftermarket headlamp. The optics were not as good as the OEM headlamp, regardless of bulb.

Polish them down and put a wax on them.. redo about once a year..

or you could try some type of clear adhesive plastic type stuff.
after polishing.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Polish them down and put a wax on them.. redo about once a year..

or you could try some type of clear adhesive plastic type stuff.
after polishing.

That's the plan! You can't count on my sister doing any follow-up waxing so that's what it'll be.

Actually there is a specific clear coat paint that is used on headlamp units to protect the plastic from UV (yellowing dulling)

I installed a set, I think same brand, in an 04 civic recently. fit and finish matched oem. price was $80/pair. philips bulbs pre-installed. the focus was not as good as oem, but was far better than the clouded stuff that came off.

Unfortunatly VVTinme you have proved (as I have seen many times before) that pretty much anything after market (Depo whatever) short of a full HID retrofit will fall far short of OEM quality for beam pattern optics and construction. You made the right choice to return the Depo ones.

Check out salvage yards for OEM lamps, you may be successful. Other than that resurfacing is the only option left.

I use Meguiar's Plastix cleaner/polish. It removes all the oxidation on the headlamp and protects it against the sun's rays. I apply it 4-6 times a year and it keeps my headlights looking new. It works very well.

We have purchased 3 sets of headlights, 3 sets of taillights, and 2 sets of parking lights. All made in Asia except 1 taillight kit in Estonia. Pretty happy with all, the estonian lights have worst rep, latest were for Chevy Venture for a friend, he is very pleased with all aspects of light. Since OEM are usually so expensive the comparison is usually between a good but not great aftermarket and a worn out fogged up OEM. Have you tried a non DEPO Asian light? I'll bet there are many suppliers for older Camry's.

I won't be trying another light. It's easier and less time-consuming at this point to just refinish the lamps and have some sort of protectant applied.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Even the insurance replacement lights are not as good as the oem.

I believe you're referring to CAPA-certified lights-- I looked at those too, but figured that the performance of the aftermarket-marketed units would at least be acceptable. The CAPA ones were roughly twice as expensive as the non-CAPA units I purchased, expensive enough that I'd rather just pony-up a little more and get the Toyota ones if I were spending that kind of money.

amfogleft_oefogright.jpg

This is my old Corolla's fog lamps. OEM on the right and aftermarket on the left. All of the stray light is from the aftermarket one. There really is a difference, and if I have to replace any lamp assembly anymore, I only use OEM.

If anyone ever has any doubts OEM vs after-market "OEM type" lighting...that picture removes all of them...

In inclement weather the after-market would give hideous backscatter and glare
37.gif

Last edited:
I bought a "TYC" brand replacement parking lamp assembly from RockAuto for around $18 shipped. It has a noticeably worse light pattern than the OEM assembly (on the right). The color is also slightly different. Externally it looks perfect. Of course, it's a parking lamp assembly so it doesn't really matter...

My driver's side fog light is also aftermarket, don't recall the brand. I'll have to do a comparison picture with the OEM one on the passenger side sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back