Royal Purple Oil Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps this old news but I just ran across some propaganda related to Royal Purple's new oil filters.

Anyone have any info?

Anyone know who's making these filters?

They are Champion Laboratories filters.
They have wire backed micro-glass media (i.e. nanofiber), silicone ADBVs, and nice thick canisters and base plates with something like a 600 psi burst pressure.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/horsepower-tv-introduces-the-new-royal-purple-oil_2054351.htm

ISO 4548-12 multi-pass results:

25 microns it is 99% efficient
20 microns it is 98.7% efficient
10 microns it is 80% efficient

An excellent though expensive oil filter.

What propaganda did you run into?

STP is Champion Labs too. People say CL is a good solid filter.

I may have never seen a Royal Purple oil filter in a store.

I have increasingly seen a select few MANN filters at Advance. Perhaps if i had a car that could use one, id buy them. They seem to be the oversize filters.

Not sure how they distinguish the lines, but STP is Champion Labs too and people say it is not bad. I am glad someone told me that as i would have not known, them being the primary filter on the shelf at Autozone.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
STP is Champion Labs too. People say CL is a good solid filter.

I may have never seen a Royal Purple oil filter in a store.

I have increasingly seen a select few MANN filters at Advance. Perhaps if i had a car that could use one, id buy them. They seem to be the oversize filters.

Not sure how they distinguish the lines, but STP is Champion Labs too and people say it is not bad. I am glad someone told me that as i would have not known, them being the primary filter on the shelf at Autozone.

Champion Labs build filters to customer design specifications ... so it doesn't always mean every Champion Filter made is good. For instance, CL builds ecore filters under a few brands (STP might be one of them), but I don't consider any ecore filter to be a good filter. Just my viewpoint on filter designs.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Probably 'similar' holding capacity, along with better filtration.

it does not have better filtration, that is totally false. D+ is 99.9% efficient at 20 microns. the synthetic media probably does flow better though.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Champion Labs build filters to customer design specifications ... so it doesn't always mean every Champion Filter made is good. For instance, CL builds ecore filters under a few brands (STP might be one of them), but I don't consider any ecore filter to be a good filter. Just my viewpoint on filter designs.

i agree. their high end filters like k&n, mobil 1, and royal purple are excellent. the cheaper offerings like super tech, stp, ac delco, etc all have plastic tubes and end caps. there are better choices like purolator or wix. they use plastic because it's cheaper, but still charge you, the consumer, the same price

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
Probably 'similar' holding capacity, along with better filtration.

it does not have better filtration, that is totally false. D+ is 99.9% efficient at 20 microns. the synthetic media probably does flow better though.

I suppose it depends upon the filter. AAP states 40 mc on the D+ part for my car, but I've never seen published results for the D+. 99.9% @ 20 um was for the P1, I thought. Different media.

I suppose it depends upon the filter. AAP states 40 mc on the D+ part for my car, but I've never seen published results for the D+. 99.9% @ 20 um was for the P1, I thought. Different media.

D+ is 99% at 20 microns too
http://www.boschautoparts.com/filters/Pages/DistancePlusOilFilters.aspx
honestly i'm not sure that the media is any different. it might just be thicker. has anyone actually found out for sure?

in any case, even though the royal purple might be a tad less efficient, i do agree that it would probably hold up better over long OCIs because of the wire backing.

I must be missing something ... I see no mention of what micron rating that 99.9% efficiency is at.
frown.gif

honestly i'm not sure that the media is any different. it might just be thicker. has anyone actually found out for sure?

in any case, even though the royal purple might be a tad less efficient, i do agree that it would probably hold up better over long OCIs because of the wire backing.

If purolator/Bosch put toilet paper in their filters it would be 99.9% filtration. I wonder how much flow is traded for the supposed 99.9% filtration.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
If purolator/Bosch put toilet paper in their filters it would be 99.9% filtration. I wonder how much flow is traded for the supposed 99.9% filtration.

Not much ... PureOnes seem to flow very well. Real test data from Purolator.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

Besides, the only time you get better flow with a less restrictive filter is when the oil pump is at max pressure relief point (ie, near redline with hot oil, or with lower RPM and cold oil).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I must be missing something ... I see no mention of what micron rating that 99.9% efficiency is at.
frown.gif

Yeah, the link only says 99.9% efficiency, no stated micron size in relation to that.

Royal Purple states 99 at 25 microns. Probably still >97% at 20 micron. FWIW, I like the M1 EP and Amsoil EaO filters a lot as well.

Royal Purple states 99 at 25 microns. Probably still >97% at 20 micron.

RP states results for 25, 20 and 10 microns:

@ 25 microns - 99%
@ 20 microns - 98.7%
@ 10 microns - 80%

I'd like to see more filter results @ 10 and 15 microns.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

What propaganda did you run into?

I would like to know what the OP is talking about as well? The RP filters are one of the best out there and their performance backs up any claims made about them. Not sure what propoganda is being referred to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back