Amsoil or Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Toto,
Chris at RP was AWESOME when I called.. you caught someone on a bad day..It happens.
Bruno, Let's stay on track. He asked about a synthetic oil not a GIII blend that causes high Iron.

I see what you did there.
wink.gif

That said, id use RP for the app. People like RP and its likely a very good oil. Plus you can buy it on the shelf at Advance and Walmart, 5W-30 and 10W-30! NATIONWIDE RETAILERS!!! Cant do that with AMSOIL
21.gif

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Toto,
Chris at RP was AWESOME when I called.. you caught someone on a bad day..It happens.
Bruno, Let's stay on track. He asked about a synthetic oil not a GIII blend that causes high Iron.

Dr Dusty, Royal Purple got chastised recently for their claims of horsepower, fuel economy, heat, engine wear, etc from their oils. They were forced to remove said claims from their labels and web sites. I'd, personally, stay away from such a company. Amsoil is a better option but I'd o over the counter and save money unless you're doing really long drains.

Royal Purple gets good USER reviews.

Also, i can go into a store (two nationwide chains) and get Royal Purple in at LEAST 5W-30 and 10W-30, though i select RP 5W-20 at Advance.

I cannot consistently and deliberately buy AMSOIL at a store like i can RP. And its probably the "SM" RP, apparently Advance has a lot. Even if it was SN id be ok with it.

I can get RP or Amsoil or any oil for that matter.. I don't realty tow anything or go offroading and my daily commute is only 15 miles from my house.. I hear short trip driving is the worst thing for an engine.. So that's why I wanted a good oil...? I have PP and a K&N oil filter in it right now but my oil pressure fluctuates alot.. Stop at red light goes low.. And when I take off goes to normal? Was thinking RP or Amsoil would help?

What I find most disturbing about the Royal Purple fiasco that BP exposed was that RP was claiming API/ILSAC when apparently none of their oil met the current ILSAC certification:

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001398592.cfm

To be fair, Amsoil has made some certification claims that have not been accurate and Pablo has e-mailed Amsoil to correct the mistake.

Originally Posted By: awoess
I can get RP or Amsoil or any oil for that matter.. I don't realty tow anything or go offroading and my daily commute is only 15 miles from my house.. I hear short trip driving is the worst thing for an engine.. So that's why I wanted a good oil...? I have PP and a K&N oil filter in it right now but my oil pressure fluctuates alot.. Stop at red light goes low.. And when I take off goes to normal? Was thinking RP or Amsoil would help?

If you are having problem maintaining oil pressure I would look what is mechanically causing low oil pressure. You can mask this problem by using a higher viscosity oil but that would be like putting a band aid on a broken arm.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

If you are having problem maintaining oil pressure I would look what is mechanically causing low oil pressure. You can mask this problem by using a higher viscosity oil but that would be like putting a band aid on a broken arm.

+1 how low are we talking about what weight is the PP should be a good combo what you are running right now.

How low is the pressure going? Is it making noise and turning on low oil pressure lights? Oil pressure is supposed to drop at idle when warm. Oil pressure is supposed to fluctuate alot.

My Titan has a worthless oil pressure gauge. Apparently too many people were complaining that the pressure dropped at idle so they replaced the gauge with an idiot light that looks like a gauge. If there is any pressure, it goes to the middle and stays there. I'd rather have one that actually shows me oil pressure.

Have you connected a mechanical gauge to it? From what I have been able to find online, the VQ40DE has the following for spec's:

Idle - around 14 psi

2000 rpm's 43 psi or greater

I think your right about the oil pressure and I have read other people having the same problems with no answers.... Was hoping a good "true" oil would help? Thank you everyone for your response... I'll post later after I try RP and RP filter if it helps... If nit then I'll try Amsoil and filter?

I think your right about the oil pressure and I have read other people having the same problems with no answers.... Was hoping a good "true" oil would help? Thank you everyone for your response... I'll post later after I try RP and RP filter if it helps... If nit then I'll try Amsoil and filter?

All the oils you have mentioned are "true" oils. If you are having problems maintaining oil pressure there is some mechanically wrong with your motor and switching brands will not fix this. There is no magical snake oil that can help with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back