AC-Delco batteries not what they use to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Ac/Delco used to make great batteries. The last one that I bought, I got 8 years out of (in a Ford.)
Anymore, nothing special. I remember reading after Delphi got out of the business, Johnson Controls were making them and sticking the label on them.
Besides, why go to the dealer and pay top price for them or go to the hassle of trying to find a retailer to buy one from? Why spend the extra money? I just go to AAP or Wally World. Better prices and accessibility should the battery become defective during the warranty period.

I was looking over some paper work and my old AC-Delco battery in question is from 2003! Eight years out of 6 year battery, not bad.

I have no problem purchasing from the dealer, actually his price was pretty fair; $81.85 for a 72 month professional series. Same battery at Walmart is $79.95 with a three year replacment only warranty and $86.99 at Pep Boys with a full pro-rata warranty.

Also, I noticed AC-delco doesn't advertise their batteries as maintenance free anymore, now they are "virtually maintenance free".

This is definetly a step backwards in my opinion. The fully sealed Delco maintenance free battery was a feature going back to the 70's for GM. Quite an improvement at the time over vent cap batteries leaking acid and fumes all over the place, plus having to add water sometimes.

Abandoning side-post terminals is another dumb move, done purely as a cost cutting measure no doubt.

They were great batteries at the time (I owned 2 and put both of them in Ford products that I owned at the time.)
Now, not so much. They are no better than the competition. I had to replace the battery in my Wife's 2006 Odyssey last month. Went with an AAP Gold (3 yr free replacement, 84 mo. prorate) for $80.99 (Yes, AAP discount codes are your friend.) Installed for free on a Sunday morning and out the door in 15 minutes (things in my life never go out at a convenient time.)
I only go to dealers when I absolutely have to. Glad to hear that you have one who has reasonable pricing.
Wish they made them like they used to.

It is my understanding that some company paid for the rights to put ACDelco or Delphi on the label of their battery.

I just use Eastpenn/DEKA made batteries whenever possible and I get good results.

The Delco / Motorcraft parts shop by me (independent) is right down the road as is Advance AP. The Platinum AAP battery I bought lasted less than a year. Yes, they swapped it for free. I sold the car within that next year. I bought a Delco for my daughters car and a Motorcraft for my ford from that independent dealer almost 2 years ago and they still crank as new.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
The Delco / Motorcraft parts shop by me (independent) is right down the road as is Advance AP. The Platinum AAP battery I bought lasted less than a year. Yes, they swapped it for free. I sold the car within that next year. I bought a Delco for my daughters car and a Motorcraft for my ford from that independent dealer almost 2 years ago and they still crank as new.

Unfortunately, it is the luck of the draw many times in regards to batteries. I had a top of the line Diehard that lasted 18 months. On the other hand, I have an AAP Silver that will be six years old this March that is going strong. Many times, buying a battery from a place that has good turnover is helpful in getting a good battery.

I just replaced a 51R Delco that was five years old, still held voltage and load tested fine. I replaced it anyways since it was out of warranty and with my girlfriend driving it occasionally, I sleep better with a fresh battery in.

I've had 2 acdelco batteries crack open and leak acid all over the driveway. [censored] batteries I've ever owned.

Abandoning side-post terminals is another dumb move, done purely as a cost cutting measure no doubt.

I'm curious as to why you'd say this, as I myself prefer the top post design.

For those who are mourning the loss of the AC Delco battery, the closest thing that I've found is the East Penn/Deka made batteries. In fact, they bought some (or all) of the technology rights and have incorporated them into their batteries.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

In my experience top post are corrosion city, whereas, side post I've come across are often spotless and can be disconnected in seconds verses prying off a coroded top post terminal.

Take stroll through a junk yard and compare battery terminals on top post Nissans for example and 15, 20 or even 30 year old GM vehicles.

In my opinion, after decades of side posts batteries GM did not revert back to top post because they suddenly discovered it was a superior design.

I agree. GM started using side posts in '75 along with their HEI system. They also mounted the battery hold down clamp at the bottom and that seemed to be a sturdy and less corrosive place for the hold down than the top where there's lots of corrosion. I liked the side post cables design after the mid 90's with the terminals that were easier to put a charger on.

The side posts would never corroded as long as the battery stayed sealed which it usually would. But if a leak did happen it would run a path down the battery cables easier though and were harder or impossible to clean up. I can live with either style but I think the side posts were a better design.

In my experience top post are corrosion city, whereas, side post I've come across are often spotless and can be disconnected in seconds verses prying off a coroded top post terminal.

Take stroll through a junk yard and compare battery terminals on top post Nissans for example and 15, 20 or even 30 year old GM vehicles.

In my opinion, after decades of side posts batteries GM did not revert back to top post because they suddenly discovered it was a superior design.

I think that the causes of the corrosion on a top post type battery stem from two different things. First, is the design of the cell vents. Exide and JCI use a cell vent that will allow gasses/liquids to cover the top of the battery and cause all sorts of problems if the battery has to vent for whatever reason.

The other potential cause is over-tightening of the clamp which can crush the terminal and break the seal around it allowing liquid/gasses to wreak havoc.

The design of the East Penn battery keeps gasses and liquids away from the terminal (the whole top of the battery for that matter). As long as it's not over-tightened, I've never seen an East Penn battery with corroded terminals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechanicx

The side posts would never corroded as long as the battery stayed sealed which it usually would. But if a leak did happen it would run a path down the battery cables easier though and were harder or impossible to clean up. I can live with either style but I think the side posts were a better design.

Agreed.

I think that the causes of the corrosion on a top post type battery stem from two different things. First, is the design of the cell vents. Exide and JCI use a cell vent that will allow gasses/liquids to cover the top of the battery and cause all sorts of problems if the battery has to vent for whatever reason.

The other potential cause is over-tightening of the clamp which can crush the terminal and break the seal around it allowing liquid/gasses to wreak havoc.

The design of the East Penn battery keeps gasses and liquids away from the terminal (the whole top of the battery for that matter). As long as it's not over-tightened, I've never seen an East Penn battery with corroded terminals.

Sounds a lot like the Dex-cool sitiuation.

Dex-cool works fine as long as.....

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I agree. GM started using side posts in '75 along with their HEI system. They also mounted the battery hold down clamp at the bottom and that seemed to be a sturdy and less corrosive place for the hold down than the top where there's lots of corrosion.

I think GM introduced side post terminals earlier than '75, 1969 as least.

My mother's '73 Cadillac had side posts and the bottom hold down clamp.

Checked out some Sears Diehard batteries today, they appeared East Penn/Deka built. Maintenance free sealed cases but still nowhere near the older Delco batteries. For example the carry handles don't fold out of the way.

Overall not bad, but prices were steep, even on sale the group 75 was $100, $109 for Gold, and three year replacment only, seems to be a trend here first Walmart now, Sears.
Well, if they want to play that game just bring it back in three years and ask for a new one, I doubt Kmart employees are going to load test old batteries.

Makes the AC-Delco Professional warranties look pretty good; 30 month free replace on the 6 year, 50 month on the 7 year.

Also, I noticed in the back row of the dislay case were Johnson Control vent cap style batteries. So probably a matter of time before all the Deka built Diehards are gone as well.
mad.gif

I'm buying a Johnson Control style from Costco whenever my Die Hard goes, the warranty is nice and the initial price is great. $66 b4 tax, including returning my old battery to negate the $10 core charge. Group 51R.

Overall not bad, but prices were steep, even on sale the group 75 was $100, $109 for Gold, and three year replacment only, seems to be a trend here first Walmart now, Sears.

According to their web site - after the 3 years there is the remainder of 100 months prorated:
"Backed by 36-month free replacement and 100-month pro-rated limited nationwide warranties."

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02833065000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Well I finally came aross a group 75 battery identical to my 6 year old AC-Delco Professional: The AutoZone Gold, however its $108, only 600 CCA, and made in Korea. Perhaps the same manufacturer that makes/made the Delco Batteries.

Goes to show you how bad things are in this country when its cheaper to build and ship a heavy lead acid battery halfway across the world, through the Panama canal and up the east coast rather the make it domestically.
mad.gif

Anyway, I'll stick with my $76 Korean made AC-Delco 60 series for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back