Glock 20 -ported or nonported?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glock 20 -ported or non-ported barrel?

I've read lots of pluses and minuses of porting. The only real plus is less felt recoil.

I need some friendly anecdotal input.

I'm sure you're aware that the biggest downfall of the ported barrel is the muzzle flash, especially at night. I'd stick with the non-ported barrel. 10mm is a scary round to be in a semi-automatic handgun. I'm a fan of her little sister, 40S&W.

10mm Scary? Not really.

I read a lot about the side flash but it's not that bad for the night vision issue - worse would be in some tight quarter shooting near an ally so to speak. They could be cooked and deafened. But I'm not planning this to be a carry or defensive gun but still.

Pablo, if you really don't plan on having it be your "go to" self defense handgun, I would get the ported barrel. That round is pretty stout and the porting keeps it more comfortable to shoot IMO. If you are going to use it a carry I would probably skip the porting for the reason cancov mentioned...muzzle flash will be more prominent for sure. That is THE least appreciated handgun round today. It can be a real stopper.

Last edited:
I have a GLOCK 24C...6" ported barrel and 3.5lb trigger...the porting does help a lot with muzzle flip..and gets me on target faster,in low light situations the muzzle flash is distracting..{still not as blinding as my 460S&W}..gas ports are on top of the barrel..with a cutout on the slide..if it is gonna be a fun gun or hunting..sure get the ports...for self defense..i would not

Thanks - Well I'm not going to fight it. I was just doubting the porting - but heck if it's that bad, I'll just get a Lone Wolf non-ported barrel of my choice. The cool thing is you can shoot lead with a Lone Wolf.

I have not shot a ported bbl in the 20, but I have done so with other calibers.

The porting will assist with reduced muzzle flip, and therefore afford quicker followup shots. If only day-shooting, the flash is not of consequence. Whether that is of benefit to you is your call.

If it's a toy, you might as well accessorize it the way you want. Better yet, why not get one of each?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tom slick
It's easy enough to swap barrels, why even have the discussion, have both!

I got the Glock 20C. Can hardly wait to go plinking! Or BLAMMING as the case may be.

The only issue remaining if I get an unported barrel would be: Which One? Lots of good choices. .357Sig, extended, threaded.....

Unrelated I ordered a threaded barrel for my 17L.

Why 10mm for range use?

It is a harder to find round that costs more than the more common .40 and 9mm.

For a range only gun, 10mm really does not make much sense. . .
21.gif

Side note:
Sig is going to release a 1911 in .357Sig. I see one in Pablo's future.

What date are you looking at? That would be interesting.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Why 10mm for range use?

21.gif

Because I can neck down the cartridges to 9X25. Because I don't own a 10mm gun. Because I can. I wanted a second Glock. A 1911 10mm was a bit expensive. Lots or reasons.

I don't mind answering your question, but there are guys shooting all sorts of odd calibers at the range. What's so odd about a 10mm?

"Range only" - I'm not even sure I said THAT.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Side note:
Sig is going to release a 1911 in .357Sig. I see one in Pablo's future.

What date are you looking at? That would be interesting.

The Sig rep mentioned it on Tom Gresham's podcast coverage of the SHOT show.

Why 10mm for range use?

21.gif

What's wrong with just buying/shooting guns that don't fit some arbitrary practicality? Is every .44mag owner shooting bears? Every .50BMG owner only doing 1000 yard sniper shots?

Why 10mm for range use?

21.gif

Because I can neck down the cartridges to 9X25. Because I don't own a 10mm gun. Because I can. I wanted a second Glock. A 1911 10mm was a bit expensive. Lots or reasons.

I don't mind answering your question, but there are guys shooting all sorts of odd calibers at the range. What's so odd about a 10mm?

"Range only" - I'm not even sure I said THAT.

But I'm not planning this to be a carry or defensive gun but still.

No, I think if you want it, you should get it for sure!!

It's just an odd caliber for range use, since the ammo is harder to come by and a bit more expensive.

It is a fantastic self defense round.

I carry a .40 Glock 23 every day. And if 10mm was easier to find around me and just as cheap to practice with on a weekly basis, I would carry it!

I believe the 10mm to be one of the better, if not best, self-defense rounds. However, you have to get the hot ammo. If you don't you might as well just carry a .40 because when the 10mm is down-loaded to lower pressures, the .40 can do just about the same.

The .357sig can be (nearly) the ballistic equivilant to the 10mm when they are both loaded hot, but if given the choice of two rounds going the same speed, I'll take the bigger one every time. The reason these rounds never caught on? Frankly, there are a lot of people that simply cannot shoot them well; they are very hot when loaded to their full potential. Heck, it's the reason the FBI down-loaded, and then ultimately dropped, the 10mm.

I realize that there are more powerful rounds (.44mag, etc) but the 10mm is one where the combination of packaing and performance just about make for the ultimate round, if you can shoot it. If one cannot or will not carry such a large-framed weapon, the .357sig can be had in a slightly smaller chassis; again, if you can accurately shoot it.

As for why Paul got it; because he wanted to! Not everything is about "needs", but "wants". There is nothing wrong with that; I support that position fully. (The only time I take issue with this topic is when people cannot admit their emotional "wants", and try to pass them off as "needs" with poorly reasoned justification.)

Last edited:
The cool thing is I can get ammo at a great price from Bridger Custom Ammo in MT. For example, I just paid $60 for 350 rounds of .357Sig. Sure it cost me $10 to send him a mess of brass (various calibers), so say add $3 back in and it cost $20 to ship a mess of 4 different calibers finished ammo, so add $5 for shipping. Still that's just under $10 box - for .357Sig. 10mm will be a hair more, I bought a bulk box of 200 JHP from the WAC gun show (Washougal River Cartdrige Co.) for $80 to get me started with some brass.

Because it was mentioned : Sig Sauer shows at least one 1911 model 357Sig. 1911 Nightmare avail 45acp or 357Sig
Nice looking gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back