Chrysler PentaStar V6 specs 5W30... wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it oddly refreshing that while many of the new generation engines that are out or are coming out from various manufacturers are specifying thinner oils like 0W20, Chrysler's innovative new 3.6 liter PentaStar V6 uses 5W30 and it doesn't even have to be synthetic, as long as it meets Chrysler MS-6395. Well done, Mopar, well done.

When I got my Lexus in 2007, it had a 3.5 V6 with virtually the same hp and torque but a 0-60 in 5.7 secs (compared to just over 6 secs for the Pentastar). However, the highway mpg of the Pentastar is significantly better.

It was then spec'd for 5w30.

Now it is spec'd for 0w20, but not back spec'd as far as I know.

In any case, the upgrade of the same engine has kept the performance but improved the highway mpg, but still below the Pentastar.

The Pentastar is clearly a good engine right now especially since it takes regular. Time will tell how good an engine it really is and if it turns out to be something, no doubt they'll spec it for a 20 weight oil conventional or synthetic.

Last edited:
i might be old so i dont like the new thin oils. i have 2001 Dakota v-6. i use just a little thicker oil than recommended, with no trouble. note its only a little thicker, i DID learn that lesson. i bet my engine will be running fine when yours is in the junk yard, for a while.

Mercedes lets you use 30 weight or 40 weight oil. Within each, there is already a range of thickness at operating temp. The point is, is the oil strong enough to do it's job if it passes certain tests. And the answer is that as technology has improved, yes thinner oil has gotten more capable.

The engineers are in one way no different to those who are against thinner oils. They start with the assumption that the thicker oil has more strength. But from that point on, they differ from the amateur skeptics because they go and run tests to see whether a thinner oil can hold up over hundreds of thousands of miles. So, companies like Ford, Toyota and Honda have all established their engines can take thinner oil.

It's entirely believable that thinner oils are fine because people are always innovating. None of you, even the oldies, are getting their comments on this forum through punch tape and computers with valves are you? There has been something called progress taking place ..........

Last edited:
that pentastar can dish out a lot of torque at low revs, which also means lower oil pressure/flow. it may need the slightly heavier oil under those conditions.

I had one in a rental and to be quite honest it was the best-feeling V6 I'd ever driven for a large car. Not peaky like the honda/toyota V6's. more refined than the other domestics. Nice torque early on like the chryco 3.8 but doesn't quit as early. not wheezy like the 3.3 little sister.

never been in to one, though-- the pics look like it is very complicated, whereas the 3.8 is a joy to work on.... simple.

Last edited:
It's a pretty peaky engine in my dad's Wrangler. Part-throttle shifts at 4-5k RPM aren't uncommon. It's almost never below 2k RPM when driving normally. It acts very much lik the 3.5L V-6 in our Acura really.

It is a great engine. Our family minivan passed quite a few slope-pokes in "sports cars" on the highway.
My only issue is the lack of information available about the Chrysler MS-6395 spec. PYB has it, but I am sitting on a good stash of Motul 5w-30 eco-Clean and G-Oil and neither has the spec.

After free oil changes at the dealer are over, am not sure what to do. I do not want to risk losing warranty, but also do not want to put dino in it, since I have synthetic oil on hand.

It is a nice engine in the rental I drove.

I hope it turns out to be reliable as its a brand new design.

Chrysler caught up.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Our family minivan passed quite a few slope-pokes in "sports cars" on the highway.

I once passed a Viper on the highway in a Corsica.

I too was very surprised -- since my previous Hemi spec'd 5w20. I plan to do my first OCI on the Jeep this weekend. I have some Chevron Supreme (Costco sale), and a Wix cartridge filter waiting in the garage. My next 2 OCIs will be freebies at the dealer. (I had to sneak one in at ~1700 mi
smile.gif
)

Last edited:
The size of the bearing that carries the load is one important part of the calculation. A larger bearing for the same load can use lighter oil. If the engine layout requires smaller bearings, stronger oil film is needed, and higher viscosity is one way to get that. The very large diesel engines put 7500hp into each rod bearing using 30 wt oil. The bearings are big enough to spread the load and the bearings live for many years.

Originally Posted By: rjacket
It's entirely believable that thinner oils are fine because people are always innovating.

no comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back