Why do Honda starters sound different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they turn over a lot more slowly. The Accord turns over at half the speed of any other car I drive. I dunno why. Still started at 2 degrees today.

I agree they sound distinct but at the same time, the new Civics (8th gen and up) I find don't have that Honda starter sound anymore. My car sounds like a normal car starting up..

The only starter I ever really noticed having a really distinctive sound was the old Chrysler gear reduction starter:

03-0213m-ang.jpg

It's got kind of a high pitch whine and then a moan after you release the key.

I think there was only about 3 different varieties of starters for Chrysler for a long time. When I sold parts, if someone brought in a Chrysler starter, I knew it was one of 3 SKUs.

I never really noticed even though I had one for four years. But I can recognize a Toyota just from hearing it start.

Most smaller cars I can't tell a difference, but I can tell most pickups. My 99 Dodge has a distinct sound, as does a friends 99 Dakota. If I'm walking through a parking lot and someone starts a late 90's or early 2000's Ford pickup it too has a different sound.

yeah chrysler alos had only a few oil filters.

I always wonder why there are so many different car batteries and so many oil filters.
seems about 10sizes should fit all.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I agree they sound distinct but at the same time, the new Civics (8th gen and up) I find don't have that Honda starter sound anymore. My car sounds like a normal car starting up..

I think Honda has changed its starter recently. My in-laws' 2011 CR-V has a different sound cranking than my 2008 CR-V. It seems to turn over faster and with more gusto. My starter, even with a new battery, seems lazy. Sounds like pepperb's Accord is the same way. I walked past a Honda Element in a parking lot yesterday and heard it crank and it was exactly like my CR-V.

Our Acura doesn't have the same sound...it sounds like a more conventional starter. Maybe only their 4-cylinder starts were more distinctive. My CR-V's starter is a Mitsuba starter.

I can hear a lot of differnet vehicles from a mile away. An older Jeep 4.0L. Any Ford Modular engine. A Cadillac Northstar.

After I replaced the original OEM starter in my wife's 04 Odyssey with a re-built after-market one, she noticed it sounded different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back