Can I use 5W30 instead of 5W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2012 Ford Fiesta for my daughter and I was surprised to see that the car calls for 5W20 motor oil. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), I have several cases of QS 5W30. I guess what I don't know is if there is a real technical reason for using 5W20 or if it was just called out to meet some drubbed up CAFE standard? I know somebody's probably going to jump in here an stearnly warn me about invalidating my warranty but I really don't believe Ford would ever be able to tell the difference. Heck, my oil analysis company can't definitively tell the difference. And conventional 5W30 rapidly shears down to a 5W20 anyway. So... What it the BITOG verdict?

Yes, and I say this cause' at my work we only use 5W30 oil in ALL of our fleet. Cadillacs and others also that are luxury get the 5w30 too.

a.v.

You can use 5w30 however that may void your warranty. You may want to use 5w20 while under warranty.

I have to say that I liked the feel of the MC Syn Blend 5w20 in my Ford but when the Valvoline Synpower rebate of a $1 a quart came up, I could only find 5w30 so that is what I'm using for a while now.

I'm going to be putting QS UD 5w30 in next also as it's what's in my stash. Be interested to see if there's a difference.

Originally Posted By: civic09
Yes, and I say this cause' at my work we only use 5W30 oil in ALL of our fleet. Cadillacs and others also that are luxury get the 5w30 too.

a.v.

This member works for a national car rental agency. I wonder if they know something and service their fleet accordingly.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

a.v.

This member works for a national car rental agency. I wonder if they know something and service their fleet accordingly.

Doubt it. Plenty of folks have used 5w-20 for hundreds of thousands of miles and the same with 5w-30.

In a fleet, you might actually realize some fuel economy gains worth something, so the effort of using more than one weight might be worth it.

a.v.

Most GM and especially Cadillacs call for 5w 30.

I doubt NOTHING AT ALL. MY boss spoke to all of the makes that my company rents. They told us to use A 5W30 for their service interval on oil changes, and all of these intervals are 5,000 oci's. I DO NOT buy the 5w20 stuff at all after talking to a few members here that are VERY knowledgeable. I dont buy CAFE stuff either. Go ahead and use the 5w20 or 10 whatever. We dont gain much either FOLKS, we use what they the manf. tell us that they want us to use. It is worth the effort yes and my company has NEVER had a oil related FAILURE AT ALL using 5w30.

I think that I would use the 5w-30 in warm/hot seasons
However my 2004 ford says 5w-20 on the fill cap and has always had 5w-30 since the first change. If that car is direct injection maybe the 5w-30 will help with fuel dilution?

When I traded in my Mustang (10 w 30 and fl800s) for the Caddy, autozone swapped my still sealed oil and filters for the new 5w30 (for Caddy) and 820s filters (for my Ford) no problem. I am. A regular therre though. Swapped a case of oil and 3 filters.

Suprised? Don't be. Ford has been calling for 20wt oil for 10-11 years. I even used M1 5-20 in 1978 in engines calling for 30-40wt oil.

being in the engine business i will tell you that if that were mine i would use 5w20 for a number of reasons first of all that is what ford tells you to use and second 5w20 is usually a better oil...

I always say this... But... If you know more than the company that built that engine all the power to you..
Can you use 5w30? sure...is 5w30 better for your engine? no!

Originally Posted By: k1rod
I bought a 2012 Ford Fiesta for my daughter and I was surprised to see that the car calls for 5W20 motor oil. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), I have several cases of QS 5W30.

If you knew you had several cases of 5W-30, then why did you buy a 5W-20 vehicle?

Go ahead and use the 5W-30. It won't hurt anything but fuel mileage.

I doubt NOTHING AT ALL. MY boss spoke to all of the makes that my company rents. They told us to use A 5W30 for their service interval on oil changes, and all of these intervals are 5,000 oci's. I DO NOT buy the 5w20 stuff at all after talking to a few members here that are VERY knowledgeable. I dont buy CAFE stuff either. Go ahead and use the 5w20 or 10 whatever. We dont gain much either FOLKS, we use what they the manf. tell us that they want us to use. It is worth the effort yes and my company has NEVER had a oil related FAILURE AT ALL using 5w30.

Firstly, calm down a bit, you seem to have taken things a bit personally.

If the manufacturer says use 5w20, you see a problem with that?

You should have no issue using 5w30. I use it in my Mazda whenever 5w20 can't be found. During my warranty period, the dealership even used 5w30 even though the car calls for 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back