Using a coolant additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder about using an additive like RP Purple Ice to help condition WP seals and heater cores?
Currently I have Prestone Extended Life Gold in the car. I drain and refill every year.
Dusty

i have herd it said it use 5 oz of mmo. i would use 8-10 oz. but i have not done it my self. i will bet that it will keep the rust down, and lube the water pump. there could be other things that will do the same thing.

If it's working fine (no leaks, etc.), why bother adding additives to mix with coolant that never known to provide any additional benefits (afterall, are there any automobile manufacturers who spec aftermarket water pump or coolant additives in their car owner's manual?

Q.

Water pump bearing are sealed today not like years ago when you could grease and repack them, the heater core needs nothing special.
I wouldn't put any additive in the coolant unless specified by the manufacturer for specific issues, modern coolants have all the additives they need.

MMO could damage hoses and seals depending on the type of rubber used, i wouldn't even think about it.

Originally Posted By: morris
i have herd it said it use 5 oz of mmo. i would use 8-10 oz. but i have not done it my self. i will bet that it will keep the rust down, and lube the water pump. there could be other things that will do the same thing.

shocked2.gif

OP, why are you changing your coolant so frequently?

I thought that RP Purple Ice was just a water wetter, meaning it let coolant cool better.

Guess I was wrong, here is what they say,

Purple Ice is a high performance, synthetic, radiator coolant additive. It reduces engine heat by reducing the surface tension of the radiator fluids for improved heat transfer.

Purple Ice fosters optimum coolant flow by helping to prevent formation of scale deposits in the radiator. It also lubricates the water pump seals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
I drain and refill every year.
Dusty
That's just crazy!
crazy2.gif
(no Offense) My 1991 BMW has had 2 cooling system changes in 20 years, and has zero corrosion inside the aluminum head..

BTW, cooling system additives are not needed; the coolant comes with all the additives you need.

Last edited:
The link shows a modern water pump bearing and seals, they require nothing more than coolant.
Something like Purple ice and RL water wetter maybe of some benefit if running pure water but together with coolant you could say its pretty much worthless.
From experience i have seen some of these products turn the coolant a nasty brown color.

Water pump bearings.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
I wonder about using an additive like RP Purple Ice to help condition WP seals and heater cores?
Currently I have Prestone Extended Life Gold in the car. I drain and refill every year.
Dusty

An absolute waste of time, product and $$$$. Why are you wasting money on yearly refills.

Prestone EL...should be good for a least 4 to 5 years...before needing to be replaced.

And forget the RP Purple Ice.....at best it might lower your coolent temps 4 or 5 degrees. Its just a waist of money.

Reminds me of the guys who use M1 EP or PU....for 3000 OCI's. What a waste of good top-tier oil.

Originally Posted By: morris
oil and coolant hoses do not play well.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I thought that RP Purple Ice was just a water wetter, meaning it let coolant cool better.

Purple Ice is a high performance, synthetic, radiator coolant additive. It reduces engine heat by reducing the surface tension of the radiator fluids for improved heat transfer.

Purple Ice fosters optimum coolant flow by helping to prevent formation of scale deposits in the radiator. It also lubricates the water pump seals.

Sounds like water wetter.

I got a box of schaeffer's clean and cool a few years ago so I run that.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

Purple Ice fosters optimum coolant flow by helping to prevent formation of scale
deposits in the radiator. It also lubricates the water pump seals.

Same stuff. Different name. I haven't seen water wetter in about a year however this stuff took up that same shelf space as the water wetter used to. I could be mistaken though

Sounds like water wetter.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The link shows a modern water pump bearing and seals, they require nothing more than coolant.
Something like Purple ice and RL water wetter maybe of some benefit if running pure water but together with coolant you could say its pretty much worthless.
From experience i have seen some of these products turn the coolant a nasty brown color.

Water pump bearings.

That's a great link. Most SHade trees have no clue how a waterpump is built. They believe the [censored] they read on some additive bottle about "lubes Waterpump"
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Quest
If it's working fine (no leaks, etc.), why bother adding additives to mix with coolant that never known to provide any additional benefits (afterall, are there any automobile manufacturers who spec aftermarket water pump or coolant additives in their car owner's manual?
Q.

Exactly, unless a car mfr specifically states to use an additive NEVER DO THIS.

Use the recommended coolant formula and change interval and leave well enough alone!

Idk, if your car is modified, is in a very hot climate, tows heavy loads, etc, it can be of benefit. I have a lower-temp thermostat (170*f) than stock on my 328, along with a Fluidyne radiator, aluminum expansion tank, Samco Sport silicone radiator hoses and all coolant lines, brass bleeder screw, Stewart WP (and lightweight 20% underdrive pulleys), amongst other things, and my cooling efficiency improved notably with the same ratio of BMW coolant to water (40:60 coolant/water). Numbers being a solid 15*f drop at 95f ambient on the track.
Adding Redline Water Wetter has resulted in a further 6-8*f drop under same conditions, as monitored by a digital/analog-combo gauge. The combination has also dropped oil temps by 10-12*f under heavy load. I am looking forward to trying it with a 98/2 water/coolant mix, or even pure water.
I use it in all my cars, and have for over three years. All cars have had at least one flush since, and there was nothing at all like the black gunk people have said it causes, even in my Camry and Contour which are the only ones with a 50/50 mix (Bimmers get 40/60).
It is cheap, I have had good results, and the extra few seconds it could give between a cooling component failure and overheating might be exactly what is needed to notice and turn the car off, preventing a blown HG or worse (bent rods, etc). Cheap insurance.

I personally think products like Water Wetter and Purple Ice are quite useful. Not only do they help out with the extreme high temp situations, they get your coolant up to operating temp quicker. I'm sure you all can see the benefits of getting up to temp faster, especially in climates that are constantly cold.

A good working and clean coolant system is all you need. Fresh 50/50 or even 60/40 distilled water/coolant is really all you need. Trust me, I learned... LOL.

I tried using Water Wetter and it did nothing for any of the cars I tried it in. That included numerous Classic/Muscle cars. I saw no improvement in running temps, etc.

Last edited:
I don't think you would ever see a reduction in normal running/operating temps. Where I think you would benefit is in situations where the thermostat is wide open, when your really kicking some ***, like towing with a truck or tracking a car on hot days/extreme conditions.

The benefit I think is most useful it how it helps your vehicle warm up to proper operating temp faster. This should result in a fuel economy increase, less stress on the drive train (longer life), and get your heater working faster so you don't freeze your butt off in the winter.

Check this out for the benefits of it's heat reduction:
http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0703_turp_cooling_system_additives/test_results.html

Almost all of these products claim to warm up the coolant faster which makes sense if you understand the basic idea behind them.

I'm running the hy-per lube super coolant in my truck and I have to say it warms up faster than it did before in the cold months. I know this is the same as using a "butt dyno", but i pay close attention to my truck via a scanguage type product and I can see a difference in warm up times.

Originally Posted By: thereed
I don't think you would ever see a reduction in normal running/operating temps. Where I think you would benefit is in situations where the thermostat is wide open, when your really kicking some ***, like towing with a truck or tracking a car on hot days/extreme conditions.

The benefit I think is most useful it how it helps your vehicle warm up to proper operating temp faster. This should result in a fuel economy increase, less stress on the drive train (longer life), and get your heater working faster so you don't freeze your butt off in the winter.

Check this out for the benefits of it's heat reduction:
http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0703_turp_cooling_system_additives/test_results.html

Almost all of these products claim to warm up the coolant faster which makes sense if you understand the basic idea behind them.

I'm running the hy-per lube super coolant in my truck and I have to say it warms up faster than it did before in the cold months. I know this is the same as using a "butt dyno", but i pay close attention to my truck via a scanguage type product and I can see a difference in warm up times.

No matter what I say you will keep using it.

Hopefully others will save there money and just properly maintain their vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back