96 Nissan Pathfinder-Hood won't open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder. The battery cable has been flaky lately, it sometimes gets disconnected and I have to reattach it. I went to the parts store and purchased a new battery cable with terminal and I was going to replace it. I went out to the garage and much to my dismay the hood will not open. I tried disconnecting the hood release cable in the cabin and putting it manually but that doesn't seem to help. The cable feels like it's pulling normally. I can see and hear the hood latch moving under the hood, but it just won't open.

We tried to pry it open, no go. Even with someone pulling the hood release cable and trying to pry it open, it doesn't budge. It doesn't look like I can come from below the vehicle and remove the latch mechanism. Anyone had this issue before? Help!

Maybe with someone holding the release cable, press down HARD and fast on the front of the hood? Sort of like performing CPR. Maybe the latch didn't completely engage the last time you closed it and now it's jammed. I had to do something like that once.

Last edited:
Can't say I've had to deal with this personally, so I have no advice to offer regarding actually opening the hood...

When you do eventually get the hood open, readjust the hood lock following the factory service manual's instructions on page BT-6. Also, instead of slamming the hood (i.e. letting it go), set it down gently then push it shut.

Originally Posted By: RoGuE
Maybe with someone holding the release cable, press down HARD and fast on the front of the hood? Sort of like performing CPR. Maybe the latch didn't completely engage the last time you closed it and now it's jammed. I had to do something like that once.

wow! This worked great! Thank you so much. I went out and pounded DOWN really hard on the hood and it popped right open. I never thought about pushing it down. Thanks a bunch.

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
When you do eventually get the hood open, readjust the hood lock following the factory service manual's instructions on page BT-6.

Thank you for finding this document. I'll certainly look it over.

No problem, I'm glad it worked out for you. I just seem to have a vague memory of having the same problem, might have been on my old 96 Taurus. That latch was always jamming up. I'd recommend lubing it up too.

^Yeah, clean it if grimy, at least where it counts, and maybe some dry-film lubricant that won't easily wash off, though lube may be more appropriate I was thinking along the line of a HD metal protector?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back