Any reason not to use AutoExtra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get these really cheap (for the price of 2 Auto Extra filters at the parts store, I could get an orange FRAM at Walmart)

I've read some threads about them and don't think I fully understand everything that's being said about them. Some are saying they're fine and others don't like the design and wouldn't use them.

The car is a daily driven 3100 V6 with 261k kilometers on it. I change the oil every 4000-5000 kilometers. Is there any reason not to use these filters in this situation?

Well I think you can see for yourself in the first thread the difference between the Wix and the Auto Extra. The AE is definitely more in line with the Fram EG, in my opinion. Should be perfectly fine for that kind of OCI if you're looking for a basic filter. Better if you don't like the fiber end caps of the Frams.

The biggest difference is between the two links showing the AE. First AE shows a separate adbv and bypass. Second link shows and AE using a nitrile combo valve design, adbv and bypass combined in one.

If the OP can get the first that would be my preference in the AE. The second AE, not so much. I'd look for a filter with a separate adbv and bypass. But, that's just me.

Older AE's have separate bypass, current ones have the combo valve. Same thing with Pro-Tec's. Pronto's are still separate valves/bypass and only $0.10 more around here.
I'd use AE, but I just get the Pronto filters since I can when buying in that price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back