Strange!! 1999 Toyota Corolla Mobil 1 5W30 (Pre-Katrina SL) @ 6881km

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am full of firsts here...

First post here, and I bring with me my first ever UOA report with a strange twist...

code:

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 22

COPPER 4

LEAD 29

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 65

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 5

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 96

SILICON 8

SODIUM 5

CALCIUM 2757

MAGNESIUM 22

PHOSPHORUS 785

ZINC 902

BARIUM 0

Sus Viscosity @ 100C = 57.0
Flashpoint = 350F
Fuel = 0.8%
Insolubles = 0.4%
No antifreeze or water
No makeup oil
TBN 4.0
6881 kilometres on oil for over 6 months

This is also my first ever synthetic fill, no flush was done, and is also the first oil change that I did myself.

I have K&N air filter and two magnets stuck to the oil pan. The sample was drawn out of dipstick hole after a highway trip.

This is my extended drain experiment. Manual OCI is 6000km/6mos. Goal is 8000. One year is even better. Car is our of warranty now.

It is this comment from Blackstone that is highly puzzling:

quote:

We are a little surprised at the amount of lead (bearings) found in this sample. Comparing your wear to universal average levels (based on this type engine after a 4,625 mile oil use run), you can see lead, from bearings, is at several times the average level. One possible cause of this is the gas in the oil (0.8% of the sample) or possibly there is a compatibility problem with the synthetic base in this type oil. 4-ppm lead would be normal for this sample. We should know more about the cause of the lead in the next sample.

What is the deal with my lead???
confused.gif

What kind of driving do you do? All short trips?
How many miles are on the car total?
What oil filter are you using?

Any idea kind of oil was used in the past? If it was changed regularly?

Your Fe is high too. I'll let others chime in here ..but your sodium and silicon appear high for the limited mileage you're doing.

You could blame some of this on this or that (switching to synth, etc.)..but there's no masking your fuel dilution in the % and the impact on flashpoint. Some will recommend that you ditch the K&N and put an OEM paper filter in there ..and to check your plumbing/ducting for leaks.

You may be able to get it right with advice from other members ..but being a "babe in the woods", so to speak ..and having issues like this ..I'd surely recommend a trip to Dr. Terry Dyson for a therapy secession. He'll waste no time in telling you exactly what to do.

Good luck!
smile.gif

To answer 04SpecV (and to fill in the blanks), the car has 88315km at sample time. City miles for the most part ~20km roundtrip, with a highway run up to 140km/h every about 5 weeks. Oil filter is Toyota OEM. I had local garage and dealer do oil changes every 6000km (regardless of time) until this one; what kind of dino juice they used, I have no idea. First DIY and it's already on Mobil 1.

I am thinking about withdrawing K&N and the magnets, changing just the oil filter (with yet another Toyota OEM) and put back the OEM paper air filter, and top up with fresh M1.

What do you think?

Nothing like this being the first oil change you've done yourself, eh?

If it were me, I would probably just do another change with the Mobil 1 and do another analysis. Hopefully, whatever caused the wear problems was just a fluke.

This would be a good time to do an experiment. Keep the oil in there but add AutoRX or some cleaner. Run it for 500 miles and then change the oil. Get a sample at the end of the run to see what the cleaner did. My feeling is that the M1 did a little cleaning and loosened some deposits.

Use the appropriate air filter now though.

aehaas

Si of 8 is considered high for 4200 miles? I don't think that is causing any problem here, and if the air filter is changed, then one more variable is added to the next analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back