Can you improve a non-top iter gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Durango
My hood there's only two gas stations....ARCO and Shell. The Shell station wants $4.89/regular and the ARCO'r price is still in the $3.69ish range.
I have seen this happen with Shell stations. The franchisee is in some sort of financial dispute with Shell, and he is trying to sell as little gasoline as possible.

what a different. here is reno, arco 3.39, costco 3.45, chevron 3.47, and chevron 3.65..

I fill it up at chevron 3.47 that is on my way home from work..

well I recommend you use arco that is way cheaper than shell.

rjacket,

Before the gas prices began to come down last year I tried to use only Chevron. It reaked havoc on my budget and so I was forced to return back to using ARCO and putting in a botttle of Regane in my truck and Techron in my car after every service.

Durango

The 2 Arco's near me always seem packed with vehicles waiting in line - I've seen cars at the side of the road leading into the turn-in into the station because it was that backed up. I hit the Chevron across the street and drive up to a pump - its also on my side of the road too.
The cheapest gas around me that I sometimes get is on base. I go for convenience when it comes to getting gas. When I need it and pumps are open - drive up, pay, gas & go.
And I go through a couple tanks a week with my work drive time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
There used to be a lot of talk on here about using discount gas and FP 60/Fuel Power additive. Buying gallons of the additive could make that worthwhile depending on the price difference between fuels.

I have done that since the mid-1980s. I simply have no fuel-related problems. It's a pain in the neck to do every time, but, well, I simply have no fuel-related problems. It literally doesn't seem to matter what fuel I use, so I use whatever is cheapest.

Originally Posted By: rjacket
moto94536,

Yeah I use that same website also but I see no point to hunt down the best gas price unless it's in my immediate area/neighborhood.

My hood there's only two gas stations....ARCO and Shell. The Shell station wants $4.89/regular and the ARCO'r price is still in the $3.69ish range. Which gas do you beleive I'm gonna get to fit my pocket book? That's why it better for me to buy ARCO and dose it with a bottle or two of Regane or Techron in between OCI's.

Durango

Wow what a difference!

rjacket,

Yeah this station has been well know for years to up the price to the limits of the consumer BUT because Shell claims "nitrogen" enriched you'd be surprised how many people will fill up there! Shell corporation should do something about this station.

Durango

Originally Posted By: volk06
You can't improve the quality but you can add good detergents like Techron to split the difference. It would help keep things more clean while running lower quality fuel, it won't improve the fuel per say, but keep it from creating deposits. The guy was partially correct, it's like adding additives to a Dino and turning it into synthetic, doesnt work like that. You can't change the base fuel quality that is used.
I know where you trying to go with this statement, but this is a bad analogy. With oil, dino base oil and synthetic base are two completely different things and are not made equal at all. Additives are added within each to help with cleaning. Now gas on the other hand, the base petro product is ALL the same. The only difference is the amount of additives added to the end product. So to answer the OP question, you can definitely add your own "additive" cleaning agent to help with your fill of gas. I personally use the cheapest gas I can find and run Redline or 3M through the tank every 5-6k and I have NEVER had any gas related issue.

Originally Posted By: rjacket
Due to distribution, gas quality is the same (apart from mismanaging of stations). Additives are the only thing that differ.

So yes, buying the cheapest gas you can find, and then adding a maintenance dose of PEA fuel additive will give you top tier gas.

In an already clean system, just use the PEA fuel additive equally over the number of miles it is recommended for. Most of them say use every 3000 miles, so if you can do 300 miles on a tank, use 1/10th of the bottle every fill up.
I just typed this...should've read the whole thread first lol.

Just buy the best quality fuel you can afford or have access to, dump in a bottle of your preferred cleaner every 3-5K miles and be done with it. Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back