"Lifetime Fuel Filter" B.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 Does not have a replacable fuel filter according to the factory parts lookups, neither does any 2009 Focus listing. I would not worry about it. Depending on your mileage, if you put one in there and something goes wrong with the emissions system Ford would consider that modified and you are on the hook for any repairs.

I hate to date myself but gas pumps used to have a spinoff filter just before the hose. I don't remember when they went the way of the Dodo bird.

I remember feeling funny pumping unfiltered gas into my car. When they started to disappear I used to install a 2nd inline filter in the fuel line before the carb filter to be on the safe side.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I think the intank filter is a different situation from an inline as far as clogging over time. The intank fuel filter is on the suction side and gets backwashed on shut down. The inline filter is usually under contant pressure and can't really backflush much.

I just wished they'd always provide an access port near the trunk on cars so you could easily change the fuel pump and filter. And offer the pump and filter seperately servicable. That would be a good set up.

How about a fuel pump's sock on apps like a Civic? Any need to change those out???

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Who has ever heard of the factory in tank filters plugging?

They don't. Imagine a 3500 Savana Van weighing 9250 pounds every single day. Work it hard since 04 and run it over 400k miles. Think that's a lot of fuel?

We have never serviced the tank or the filter. And that's just one high mileage unit. In the yard are several more, some with 250k miles, some less, but none have ever been serviced for fuel filters plugging!

What about the fuel pumps? GM truck fuel pumps have a bad reputation. Have you had to change the pumps?

Originally Posted By: George7941
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Who has ever heard of the factory in tank filters plugging?

They don't. Imagine a 3500 Savana Van weighing 9250 pounds every single day. Work it hard since 04 and run it over 400k miles. Think that's a lot of fuel?

We have never serviced the tank or the filter. And that's just one high mileage unit. In the yard are several more, some with 250k miles, some less, but none have ever been serviced for fuel filters plugging!

What about the fuel pumps? GM truck fuel pumps have a bad reputation. Have you had to change the pumps?

A friend of mine did his 2000 GM pickup. He unbolted the bed and used a tractor to lift the bed off.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I think the intank filter is a different situation from an inline as far as clogging over time. The intank fuel filter is on the suction side and gets backwashed on shut down. The inline filter is usually under contant pressure and can't really backflush much.

I just wished they'd always provide an access port near the trunk on cars so you could easily change the fuel pump and filter. And offer the pump and filter seperately servicable. That would be a good set up.

How about a fuel pump's sock on apps like a Civic? Any need to change those out???

There's a strainer (sock) before the pump, and a filter after the pump. Standard, all cars.

Some cars do have easy access to the fuel pump. On my '01 Civic, you just have to remove the bottom of the back seat.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

There's a strainer (sock) before the pump, and a filter after the pump. Standard, all cars.

Some cars do have easy access to the fuel pump. On my '01 Civic, you just have to remove the bottom of the back seat.

Similar with my older Civic. I've replaced my fuel filter twice now since owning the car, not knowing prior history, etc. It's just that I've read about ricers types replacing the strainer/sock sorta standard upon getting an older Civic.
confused2.gif

I know on Hyundai products, fuel filters are integrated onto the sending unit and sold as one unit, although they can be replaced separately.

They are small cylindrical/canister stye filters fitted right on to the FSU.

Nice thing about Hyundais are many of them have FSU access doors under the rear seat.

Joel

I remember back in 98 when my ex-wife and I bought a new Pontiac GP GT. Even though it had an inline fuel filter, there were no recommendations in the owner's manual for periodic changes but to change it if a problem came up related to the filter. I did change it anyway for piece of mind.

Two years ago I bought my 2004 Monte Carlo SS and found out that it was the same situation with it. I also changed the fuel filter on it even though it had been changed before.

On this car, there is an access hatch in the truck under the carpet to replace the fuel pump. I like that.

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about it. If there is nothing to change, you could probably cause more problems by adding something to the system that it wasn't designed for.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: johnachak
I hate to date myself but gas pumps used to have a spinoff filter just before the hose. I don't remember when they went the way of the Dodo bird.

They're still there, just hidden inside the dispenser.

One I found installed recently:
http://cimtek.dirxion.com/WebProject.asp?BookCode=cim08flx&SectionIndex=0&PageIndex=18#

30um + water absorption

Wow... thanks. believe it or not I feel a little better. I wonder if there is a way to tell if the pump has one?

Let it be.
It is extremely rare for a car to need a new filter anyway.

However, if you did want to install a filter, maybe you could go to a boating supply store. They sell fuel filter setups which route fuel through a giant filter which resembles a spin on oil filter. You can replace that filter easily when you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back