Exxon Superflo 5W-30, 2600 mi, Pontiac Vibe (1ZZFE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Bill:
I suspect that the Toyota 1.8 liter engines (1ZZ & 2ZZ) in the Corolla's and Matrix, and the Chevrolet Prizms, and Pontiac Vibes may run rich or do shear the oil.
I have run 4 OCIs for more than 11,000 miles, the oil did not thicken during these intervals.

There are threads on BITOG that speak of some engines (Volvo) that run rich (fuel) and possibly thin a host oil or keep a oil from thickening over a long OCI, the 1ZZ may be this type of engine (some more then others).

The 2ZZ engine is newer, and I do not know if this applies to the 2ZZ engine, I have read but do not remember the changes Toyota made to the 1ZZ to make the 2ZZ engine, just a thought.

By the way, these 1.8 liter engines have Timing Chains.

2ZZs are even harder on oil and don't share parts with 1ZZs.
I think the WIX is the best looking air filter for this app. Similar material to the OEM but LOTs more surface area and great quality.

Looks like your driving style requires the 'marketed 3k/3mo OCI'. Stick with it. Those short trips are torture on the oil.

I think that the Matrix/Vibe is pretty heavy for that engine(especially the overweight AWD).

I 2nd the recommendation for Castrol 0w30, or just dope your 5w30 with 1/2-1 quart of 10w40. Also, to justify GC's cost, double your OCI and go a full ~6k miles on the GC and do a comparison UOA.

I've also fit the Motorcraft FL400s on several 1.8L with no problems leaks or issues. Not that your filtration is lacking, but the slight increase in oil capacity should help. And, its an excellent filter for the money!

Ray I recently changed my 1st run of 5w30 troparticaround 3k ,it had some darking on the stick but look normal.Think I will run this new batch 4k. My truck runs really smooth on this stuff and is geting good milage. I will look for your report. Marius thanks for the report.

Not a bad report nice to see the comparison without extra oil additives. They do tend to sheer a fair amount. What is the oil capacity on this motor? Got any good guessstimates as to percent of city vs highway miles?

Many of these toyo engines use a chain to drive the first cam and a gear attached to the end of that to drive the second cam. It's this combination that causes the shearing to occur.

The best bet here is a 10w-30 synthetic with a fairly low VI and no polymeric thickeners. The regular Mobil 1, 10w-30 (VI of 147) should hold up well here and will allow you to at least double this interval.

Toyotas leach silicone from the seals/gaskets for a long time. If you're still seeing high Si after 40k miles, I'd be concerned.

Conventional 5w-30's are formulated to rapidly shear down - it helps them meet the "Energy Conserving" requirements of API/SM and GF-4 in engine tests.

TS

quote:

Originally posted by Hirev:
Not a bad report nice to see the comparison without extra oil additives. They do tend to sheer a fair amount. What is the oil capacity on this motor? Got any good guessstimates as to percent of city vs highway miles?

Hirev, the oil capacity is 3.9 quarts, and during the TropArtic and Exxon OCIs I did mostly city driving.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

Note to Kanling: since the TropArtic was GF-4 (identified in parentheses in the "brand" column in Marius' initial post), it was the synthetic blend version.

Yes, the results are for TropArtic synthetic blend.

quote:

I suspect that the Toyota 1.8 liter engines (1ZZ & 2ZZ) in the Corolla's and Matrix, and the Chevrolet Prizms, and Pontiac Vibes may run rich or do shear the oil.
I have run 4 OCIs for more than 11,000 miles, the oil did not thicken during these intervals.

Not sure about that. I did 5000 miles UOA on 1ZZ-FE in my corolla and dino 10W30 thickened to low 40 range. It was in the ancient era of SL though.
No fuel in oil, but the engine runs rich on startup or brisk acceleration, as expected.

Posted by friendly_jacek:

quote:

Not sure about that. I did 5000 miles UOA on 1ZZ-FE in my corolla and dino 10W30 thickened to low 40 range. It was in the ancient era of SL though.

I can see why you say with your UOA,
I did a search for Corolla UOAs with Fuel Dilution and /or Thinning of the oil,
I found many UOAs where there was Fuel and/or the Oil was Thinned out, here are some links:

Corolla UOA

Corolla UOA-2

Corolla UOA-3

There are Vibe UOAs that show Fuel Dilution or the oil thinned out.

Terry Dyson has said that some vehicles do have a natural tendency to thin oil, this is why I lean towards thinking that the Corolla 1ZZ engines will thin a lube more so then thicken.

friendly,

Here is a thread of the two 13,500 mile UOAs for Amsoil 0W-30 I ran in my 98 Prizm:

2 0W-30 UOAs

The oil's viscosity is shown a little down from its start point but it could be lab error to.

Also, I have two UOAs with the Amsoil 5W-30 for over 11,000 miles, the oil did not thicken.

It may be that these engines need to be kept in good running order or they may have a tendency to thin the oil such as for the UOA you posted above,
in the first UOA for the GC, the oil thinned out some, the owner made some changes and the UOA came out better the second time around.

quote:

friendly,

Here is a thread of the two 13,500 mile UOAs for Amsoil 0W-30 I ran in my 98 Prizm:

2 0W-30 UOAs

The oil's viscosity is shown a little down from its start point but it could be lab error to.

Also, I have two UOAs with the Amsoil 5W-30 for over 11,000 miles, the oil did not thicken.

It may be that these engines need to be kept in good running order or they may have a tendency to thin the oil such as for the UOA you posted above,
in the first UOA for the GC, the oil thinned out some, the owner made some changes and the UOA came out better the second time around.

Bill, I looked up your link. The iron was awfully high. Did you figure out the cause of high iron? I had only 5 ppm in 5000 miles on dino 10W30. BTW, I have 03 corolla.

quote:

Originally posted by friendly_jacek:

quote:

No fuel in oil, but the engine runs rich on startup or brisk acceleration, as expected.

These have probably already thinned and are on their way back up. It all happens faster when the oil's stressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back