For those wondering if magnetic drain plugs work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Harry.
thumbsup2.gif

Magnetic plugs are OE on my GM trucks. They do pick up some stuff.

Same in the trans. These pick up a LOT of stuff!

I still see no benefit in having them on the oil filter. Plus I would think if you ran high rpm in some engines you may flow enough oil to dislodge something?

But they must do something or the accountants would have removed them to save the nickel.

$5 spent isn't a big deal and it *does* pick up some stuff that would otherwise be floating around the oil.

Whether or not that all makes a difference, I don't know. But hey, I've spent more money on things that didn't do anything.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Here's my $45 transmission drain plug collecting a TON of who knows what from my 2007 Honda Civic Si 6 speed. This was a 20,000 mile interval and the plug went in completely clean, obviously.

drainbolt.jpg

drainbolt2.jpg

The same company makes a magnetic drain for the engine as well and here's what it collected during an 8,000 mile OCI in my Civic with a, i assume, high quality Amsoil Ea oil filter...

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

35k on amsoil mtf
not sure why mine had so much debris
here are my theories
1) my magnet is stronger. using mFactory magnet.
http://www.teammfactory.com/magnetic-drain-plugs
2) b series transmission wears more
3) I cant shift for my life
frown.gif
doubt it
laugh.gif

Steve, according to my UOA's, the iron level using Dual fILTERMAGS on the Eao36 oil filter, lowered iron levels 40 - 50%.

As far as any metal particles being liberated from the hidiously powerful grasp of the Filtermags, I don't think so.

Magnetic drain plugs are very good, any iron particles that can be removed from the engine oil, prevents the removed particle from producing any secondary ones.

I just want to add, don't consider any magnet other than the Neodbium type as they may release iron particles under extreme flow conditions. Neo magnets offer a supremely tenacious grip
on iron particles, kinda like a junk yard dog on an after hours
part "shoppers" arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back