Goodyear Fortera tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2003 GMC Envoy XL we have, was looking at it the other day and noticed it has 4 Goodyear Fortera tires on it (did not catch the size but you can bet its OEM, that car is untouched except for standard maintenance with standard parts and its reliability proves that.) Now, i notice that the tires are GREAT! I know Goodyear caught a bad rep in the past. How do others like the Goodyear Fortera tires?

I had a set on my Trailblazer. I wasn't impressed. Felt like I lost about 1 - 1.5 mpg and they didn't wear that well. The factory Continental tires handled better and lasted longer. I barely got 25K miles out of the Fortera tires while I got over 50K on the Continentals. I did rotate them every 5K - 7K miles.

My 2008 GMC Acadia had Goodyear Fortera tires on it and Goodyear (at the time when I owned it) was the only manufacturer. The tread life was pretty pathetic--3 sets during the 96,000 miles that I owned it. I rotated and balanced the tires every 6,000 miles, but it did not help extend the tread life. If there had been another brand tire to use in that size, I would have replaced them, but there was not (these were the 255/65R18 Fortera HL tires). Even now, I do not think there are many choices for this car.

Other Fortera sizes may last longer, but this was my experience with the 18". Hope it helps.

Tire Rack Reviews of Acadia Goodyear Fortera HL OEM Tires

The Forteras have been great on my Traverse. Heres a pic of them at 39,000. I think these Forteras will go to at least 60,000.
I had no Idea these came on Trailblers/Envoys.
I also have a 2003 Trailblazer- and the factory tires on it- went to 88,000. Im now at 161,000 and only on the 2nd set.

DSC04380.jpg

Last edited:
Our Mounty has them and they are great. Goodyear makes horrid passenger car tires (i.e. integrity) but they sure got these L/T ones right.

Originally Posted By: rbarrios
I had no Idea these came on Trailblers/Envoys.
I also have a 2003 Trailblazer- and the factory tires on it- went to 88,000. Im now at 161,000 and only on the 2nd set.

DSC04380.jpg

Same here! We got a lot of miles. Truck just turned 142,000. Perhaps the second set! 245/65R17 I think there is a "P" before it. Its the 03 Envoy XL. Seems like a pretty good tire.

Not only that but there was a silver normal Envoy right behind ours.. with some Infinity Dakota H/Ts on it.
21.gif

Pics

Ours

374298_264779306921956_100001696655273_688440_1781360504_n.jpg

379566_264779546921932_100001696655273_688442_638997797_n.jpg

Theirs, non-XL

394615_264779830255237_100001696655273_688445_1330721168_n.jpg

I usually don't chime in on threads like this. But I have yet to get a good set of Goodyears. Every F-body I have ever owned came with Goodyears either the GSCs or the F1s and the Falkens that replaced the Goodyears on the Trans Am are 10 time better. Tires can be a subjective thing, but as far as tread life and quiteness I have never liked Goodyear. I feel with the Goodyear you pay more for the name than the actual tire.

I have read good things lately with Good/Year Tires. I hope that G/Y is turning things around as I would like to buy them again if possible.

I am not a fan of G/Y tires for what they cost and the poor dependability that they have given me over the last 35+ years. I keep trying them and giving them another chance.

At one time, all 4 of my vehicles had G/Y tires all at the same time and they all sucked. And I was buying Good/Better G/Y tire too, not low line G/Y tires!

Right now, only one of my vehicles has G/Y tires on it and I have to say that they're doing the best thus far. G/Y Assurance Comfort Tread(G/Y ACT's I call'em). 3 plus years(can't remember the miles on'em) and they're doing OK!

Previously this car in particular had(OE), Integrity's and they sucked in everything except ride/quiet. I got rid of them early just because they sucked so bad is the wet even when new. And at every corner, I had to crawl otherwise the car felt like it was going to rollover(almost!) and wandered on the hiwy all the time. Never felt stable.

But, every G/Y tire that I have owned over the many years and many tires, experienced belt seperation or uneven wear or couldn't keep'em balanced or something!!! Always something!

G/Y tires in my experience, never seemed to be a "diverse" tire(I could have said...well rounded or well balanced) but, they seemed to do only 1 or 2 things well(or just OK) rather than many things well. That's OK if you only want a tire to roll down the street and are Black! And I seemed to pay alot of money for them with no satisfaction in the product.

Today, I beleive that G/Y is making a better tire than ever before in many catigories of tires(HP/Summer, Truck/SUV, Strandard Touring/Touring etc.) I may consider them again in the future as I always have given them another chance time and time again, even though I keep moving to other brands.

had oem fortera's on my jeep. they were always great in dry, handled well, were silent, and returned good mpg. They also, AFA tires go, looked pretty good.

they were worn out at 33,000 miles, conservatively driven. as they passed 24,000 miles, the rain traction was similar to a the GY Integrity--- pretty bad.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that OEM tires are built to the vehicle manufacturer's specs - not the tire manufacturer's specs. That means you can't draw conclusions about the tires without a direct comparison as even the specs within a vehicle manufacturer differ widely.

A case in point: The company I work for - a major tire manfacturer - used to supply the same size, make and model to 5 different vehicle manufacturers - and each one was different. Each version had its own quirks - and complaints. Eventually we quit supplying those platforms and changed the tire over to OUR specs, and pretty much all the complaints disappeared.

Last edited:
Had a set of V-rated Goodyear RSA's on the SVX: they were the XL-rated size 225/50-16 that were the standard fitment on a decade+ of Police-spec Crown Vic's...

May have been the best tires I've ever owned: went almost 70K miles with never a problem of any kind, wore evenly F to R & L to R, still had legal tread when I replaced them after 6 years prior to a long (11K mile) road trip..

This on a car that can be very hard on tires, depending upon how aggresively it is driven.

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
Had a set of V-rated Goodyear RSA's on the SVX: they were the XL-rated size 225/50-16 that were the standard fitment on a decade+ of Police-spec Crown Vic's...

Most of the Crown Vics take a 225/60-16, don't they? I think you're talking about the RS-A PLUS tires...they do look like nice sturdy tires.

You well may be right: this was a long time ago...

I did notice at the time a marked difference between the construction on my old RSA's and what was available 4 (or so?) years ago: more tread & sidewall plies, etc.

Didn't replace them with Goodyears, went with the Toyo Tourevo which only lasted about 40%(!!!) of the 80K tread warranty! The NEW & IMPROVED Tourevo II's only cost me about $300 per set, installed with a new 70K tread mileage warranty.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back