Need a oil recommendation for FARMALL H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello gentlemen, and currently I am in possession of a 41' FARMALL H. Plan to use this tractor in the woods on grandparents farm to haul out some downed trees for firewood and other stuff. Think my grandfather used WOLFS HEAD SAE 40 weight in this tractor. No problems that I know of with this tractor. What kind of oil should I use for this tractor?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Adam

I Goggled it and found a ton of information on the Farmal H. You can even get an owners manual for ~ $22. I didn't did in far enought to get into oil specs but, I'm sure you can get the info there. Ed

Eddie, my father and I have the owners manual; my dad said I should try the Rotella T 5w40 or PYB 10w40 he is using in his 1948 SUPER H(Farmall also). Another member here also suggested Rotella 5w40 also,

thanks also for the advice Eddie

adam

I may google it tonight or tomorrow before the nfl games come on

summer use any 15w40

winter use 5w40 or even 5w30 if you arent working it hard for extended period

And remember that motor wasn't designed for ethanol polluted fuel. You will need to add a lead substitute to the fuel and something that will negate the effects of ethanol in the carb or the fuel will eat away at all the rubber components in it.

Thanks Clevy, and Rand, I dont think I will go that heavy, as the H has a gas engine in it. Doesnt leak oil also. Maybe I will be proved wrong, we shall see. Dad uses PYB 10W40 in his Super H

thanks gentlemen,

adam

We had both an H and an M when I was growing up. I would bet my dad used Co-op/Farmland brand "TMS" 15-40 in it, since that's what he put in the John Deere diesels and his gas pickup.

I remember that either the fuel cap or a decal near it said "Buy clean fuel. Keep it clean." Clevy makes a good point about lead substitute.

My father and I both have bout 2 cases each of the lead substitute and sulphur substitute. I did add some 2 stroke oil to the fresh off road fuel we put in it.

adam

Originally Posted By: civic09
Thanks Clevy, and Rand, I dont think I will go that heavy, as the H has a gas engine in it. Doesnt leak oil also. Maybe I will be proved wrong, we shall see. Dad uses PYB 10W40 in his Super H

thanks gentlemen,

adam

40wt 15w40 10w40 5w40 are all the same thickness at 100C (212F)

just how they flow at colder temp. is different.

so for 3 seasons 15w40 is a viable and good alternative with higher additive levels. vs a 10w40 designed for modern cars that may not have enough additives for an old tractor...

Last edited:
I see Rand, thanks for educating me. May go with the Rotella 15w40

adam

15w40 would be good for spring/summer/fall. The 5w40 Rotella would be good for winter temps. I use 15w40 Rotella or Delo in my ford 9N year round, but it is kept in a heated garage.

I plan to use the 15w40 I got in the spring/summer, change it out for the 10w30 conventional Rotella and maybe give some of that and the conventional 10w40 to my dad

adam

I plan to use the 15w40 I got in the spring/summer, change it out for the 10w30 conventional Rotella and maybe give some of that and the conventional 10w40 to my dad

adam

Originally Posted By: cronk
The 15w40 in spring/summer and 10w30 Rotella in the winter sounds like a good plan.

I had a '51 Farmall H and used this same thing. 15w40 Rotella in summer, and 10w30 Rotella in winter. I miss that tractor, was so fun plowing snow with it in the winter.

Ive used Rotella 15w40 in my Super C for about 10 years now. I have never done a UOA on it but It seems to run well. It's what I use in my other tractor (MF with 3cyl Perkins diesel). The Farmall might get used in the winter but it is kept indoors. If it gets cold outside I can turn the heat on in the garage. Clevy brings up a good point. We buy Gas in 100 gallon purchases. I use Stabil marine formula in the tanks to offset any ethanol issues. I will say those engines are such low compression, detonation is hardly ever an issue.

Between my Dad and I we have had over 50 Farmalls in the last 20 years and have always used 15-40 Rotella except for a few that got straight 40 in the summer as the worked hard and burned 15-40. Everything from cubs to 450s. down to Super MTA, Super C, Allis C, and an 51 M now and all use 15-40 year round. Use it in all small engines as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ejk52d
Between my Dad and I we have had over 50 Farmalls in the last 20 years and have always used 15-40 Rotella except for a few that got straight 40 in the summer as the worked hard and burned 15-40. Everything from cubs to 450s. down to Super MTA, Super C, Allis C, and an 51 M now and all use 15-40 year round. Use it in all small engines as well.

They do seem to love the Rotella. Farmalls are great machines, I miss my '51 H. I will have another after I graduate college.
thumbsup2.gif

I'll break the trend here.
First, I would refer to the original literature to get the base viscosity and then factor in multigrades according to use and environment. Probably nothing wrong with a 15W40, especially since it isn't a "front-line" tractor any more and probably doesn't do much over winter. If it's still in the trenches for winter, a 10W30 HDEO would be a good choice because 6V electrical systems can use all the help they can get spinning the engine over. I would contend that, unless the tractor is used hard in extremely hot weather, a 10W30 so would be fine year around. It certainly is in my tractors, which are working tractors not collectables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back