Replaced torque converter clutch solenoid.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
302,000 kms

The car was shifting into gear but not driving forward about 3 weeks ago. A garage we took it to replaced the tranny fluid (since it was due) and the torque converter clutch solenoid to fix the problem.

After replacement, the shifting was 10x better then it felt before and it fixed the problem where the car was not driving forward while in gear. However, the weather here in Winnipeg reached -20 degrees C (-4 Fahrenheit) today. Today was the first day where the car has this problem again. When I put it into reverse or drive, it will no longer drive forward or backwards.

Where do I go from here? Thanks for the help.

It sounds like its the end of the road for this unit.
At 180K miles its done well. From what you describe it sounds like a seal or weak pump issue. IMO you have a few choices depending on how long you want to realistically want keep this car.

1) For a long term one time solution get a unit from Triple Edge Performance, they are the best there is for these units and have a local installer install it, cost of install is about $500 US.
This is my preferred option.

2) A local stock rebuild. Cost will be close to the first option.

3) A Used unit. IMO the least desirable option for this particular unit, they are trouble prone and many don't see 60K without issue.

4) Not recommended or endorsed but i will throw it out anyway.
Put a 125w Kats heater on the tranny pan and plug it in overnight when its cold.
Add 2 cans of BG trans ATC Plus, this together with the heater may get you a few more months (maybe more) out of the unit until you decide what to do.

There are some good rebuilt transmissions out there that have warranties with them. Check your auto parts store or order on internet and have installed by reliable mechanic. Probably most predictable option in long run.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
TCC solenoid has nothing to do with initial get up and go.

Yup. TCC solenoid won't keep a car from moving. Have to wonder what exactly happened during that fluid change.

That is definately cold. Give the transmission some idle warm up time. The shop may have added something to the fluid during the change that is not cold friendly.

Dont race the engine or excessively try to get the vehicle moving when it's not pulling in gear. That will likely burn out the clutches for sure.

Usually a failed EPC (or hard parts) will cause the lack of drive or reverse on the 4T65. If the car is worth it then a competent show for a rebuild would be a great idea. Triple Edge is superb.

Well went to my mom's house to drive the car. Let the car warm up for a good 15 minutes and drove it. It will definitely move forward but it's definitely not shifting right and while I've never experienced slipping clutches before, this car is revving at 2000 rpm at 70 km/hr (43 mph). From what I remember, this car after shifting would settle at 1000 rpm.

So what do I do from here concerning the garage. Should I ask for an explanation as to why he did the work he did when only 3 weeks later its bad again?

Thanks.

Any slippage in an auto trans is a death knell, that slushbox is toast for sure.

The diagnosis was faulty, period. As stated above, the TC solenoid will not stop the car from moving, it will just not lock at cruise (or unlock-platform dependent).

We have a local indy shop that does excellent OEM quality rebuilds. You probably have one near you, it's the one that is swamped with business. Ask around.

Ok so am I right in understanding it like this?

-Stator in between the turbine and impeller controls whether the car is accelerating hard or just crusiing?

-The stator either locks up by a clutch for hard acceleration or is allowed to free wheel by the clutch for crusiing speeds when impeller/turbine speeds match more closely?

-My clutch is not working right so it's not locking up the stator correctly?

-Clutch locking or freewheeling is controlled by the TCC?

-So even if the TCC solenoid was not working right, the car still should be capable of moving forward whether or not the stator is freewheeling or locked, which is why the TCC solenoid was not the right repair?

I still don't understand though why my mom's car felt so great during the time when I got to drive it between her replaced TCC solenoid/Tranny fluid change and now?

The lockup clutch only locks at certain speeds in certain situations. It is never locked when stationary or just starting off from a stop.

Your car will drive fine without lockup. You just rev a bit higher and use a bit more fuel.

My guess is new fluid raised the pump pressure enough to get the clutches to grip, thus it felt good. But the trans is probably toast now. It's not unusual for them to drive well and die suddenly as the adaptives will ramp up the pressures in an old trans to try and keep going.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The lockup clutch only locks at certain speeds in certain situations. It is never locked when stationary or just starting off from a stop.

Your car will drive fine without lockup. You just rev a bit higher and use a bit more fuel.

My guess is new fluid raised the pump pressure enough to get the clutches to grip, thus it felt good. But the trans is probably toast now. It's not unusual for them to drive well and die suddenly as the adaptives will ramp up the pressures in an old trans to try and keep going.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the help!

Now concerning the mechanic that attempted the first repair, should my mom be talking to him about the improper repair? Should she be asking for some money back? I've never had to deal with a bad repair by a mechanic so don't know what to tell her.

I had a terrible experience once with a GMC stealership and an old truck.

What I learned is that you cannot get any money back if they actually performed the repair. That's whether or not you needed it!

The transmission is probably gone but on the outside chance did you check to make sure the fluid level isnt low?

So just as follow-up, the guy took the car back to have a look at it since the car was not driving forward.

My mom phoned me today after having the guy check it out. My mom relayed to me the info and then I called on her behalf.

The guy said the transmission fluid got so gunked up again that all flow had stopped. This was after he already did a tranny fluid/filter change the first repair. How could a tranny get so clogged up again within 3 weeks of the first tranny fluid change?

Not only that, but I thought GM did not require tranny fluid changes on these cars anyway?

Originally Posted By: cutchemist42
So just as follow-up, the guy took the car back to have a look at it since the car was not driving forward.

My mom phoned me today after having the guy check it out. My mom relayed to me the info and then I called on her behalf.

The guy said the transmission fluid got so gunked up again that all flow had stopped. This was after he already did a tranny fluid/filter change the first repair. How could a tranny get so clogged up again within 3 weeks of the first tranny fluid change?

Not only that, but I thought GM did not require tranny fluid changes on these cars anyway?

Any opinions??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back