Can you remove the battery top post terminals ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a GM car that used the side post battery and cables.

I have a battery that has both the side and top post. Do the top post unscrew so that they can be removed? If I am going to use the battery on my car it would be a better fit and safer to not have the positive battery top post sticking up unused. I know it can be covered up but wanted to know if it can just be removed?

Yes, cut them off with a hacksaw. Be careful, you.re working with LEAD

19.gif

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Yes, cut them off with a hacksaw. Be careful, you.re working with LEAD

19.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Not only are you working with lead but it will be bad if you cross the terminals with that metal hacksaw blade

I've seen some posts that are not solid,but have voids in them.If yours is like that you will now have 2 holes atop your battery.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I've seen some posts that are not solid,but have voids in them.If yours is like that you will now have 2 holes atop your battery.

I have cut off hundereds and never seen any with voids...But if you, do just burn some lead in and seal them up nice.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
It seems risky and you could get a spark but apparently people do it.

I wouldnt. Its ELECTRICAL!

I am going on the assumption that the op has basic Tech skills, and will do not something foolish like kill himself!
spankme2.gif

Last edited:
I wouldn't do that if the battery is still under warranty. Seems like an excellent reason to void a warranty.

So unscrewing them and setting them aside for possible use down the road is not an option?

If your battery is more than three years old...do whatever suggested (safely).

But.....if its less than three years old....you might screw-up the warranty....should the battery fail.

It's harder to insulate or shield the terminals when they are flat nubs. Tape will eventually wear off. You want those terminals covered.

After you cut it and deburr it, clean it like crazy then spray it with rhino liner, undercoating, latex tool dip, or whatever you have laying around.

I have never in all my years walking this planet seen this "mod". Post pics when you're done.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I have never in all my years walking this planet seen this "mod". Post pics when you're done.
wink.gif

20.gif

Me neither, as long as the battery fits why would you want to do this.

Frankly I would be concerned that removing those other terminals MIGHT in some way compromise the integrity of the casing..if for no other reason the effort to remove them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Michael_P
It's harder to insulate or shield the terminals when they are flat nubs. Tape will eventually wear off. You want those terminals covered.

+1. And the stress from cutting is a great way to compromise a seal and start making a mess of the terminals.

Originally Posted By: Cressida
So unscrewing them and setting them aside for possible use down the road is not an option?

No, not an option.

You can insulate the remaining terminals if you want to, but many cars come from the factory with top terminal connections with no cover or caps over the terminals. Just don't drop a wrench on both at the same time...
lol.gif

easy-peasy.
cover each w/ a healthy coat of silicone caulking, then set a plastic bottle cap (2 liter, 20oz, what ever) over the top while it's still "wet",then let cure.

all covered/insulated.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
easy-peasy.
cover each w/ a healthy coat of silicone caulking, then set a plastic bottle cap (2 liter, 20oz, what ever) over the top while it's still "wet",then let cure.

all covered/insulated.

That's a great idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back