ROTELLA T5 10W30: WHO IS USING IT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and as title says, who here is using either the Rotella T5 syn blend motor oil thats CJ and SM rated? Just curious as the Wal Marts near me are always stocked up with the T5. Wonder if it sells a lot or no. Anyone also notice that Advance Auto Parts has Rotella conventional 10w30 and 10w40? I bought the last 4 jugs they had other day as were on sale for $11.99 at my advance. I got 3 jugs of Rotella conventional 10w40 and other jug was conv. 10w30.

let me know if you folks are using either of the rotellas I mentioned

Adam

We use the T5 10W30 in a '96 S-10 and I plan to run the T3 15W40 this summer in my '86 B2000. My local WalMart stocks the T5, but it is hard to find it in stock. It sells pretty well at $16. There is always some T3 15W40 around and it goes for around $13.50. Of course this is all in (1) gallon jugs.

I have used the Rotella 10W-30 a few times on various vehicles. It's thick, so make sure your engine is suited for it during mid-winter.

Also check your dipstick on occasion. You may consume more initially - then it settles down.

Thanks guys and I know it comes in 1gal jugs also. I dont plan to use the Rotella also, like the PYB 5w30 I am using just fine and dandy.

Adam

Originally Posted By: civic09
Thanks guys and I know it comes in 1gal jugs also. I dont plan to use the Rotella also, like the PYB 5w30 I am using just fine and dandy.

Adam

Maybe I'm interpreting this post above wrong.
You purchased eight gallons of Rotella in various weights and will not use them?

I use the Rotella 15w40 in my John Deere mower that has a one cylinder 18.5 hp B&S engine. It is under high RPM and load almost all the time. The Rotella does great. I change it every 30-40 hours as the engine holds 1 and 1/4 quarts. I like that oil clean as it can be and Rotella is not real expensive.

t5 is only 3 bucks cheaper than t6 so I dont use it.

if it was 12-13 I would

I used 3 quarts of Shell Rotella, Triple Protection, Dino Diesel, 10w-30 with a mix of 3 quarts of Formula Shell PCMO, 5w-30, SM, GF-4 during my run last summer. The engine ran smooth and I got the benefits of the Dino Diesel and the High Moly Formula Shell.

A blended mix of both Shell Dino oils work very nice for the heat of summer.

This coming summer I will try a blend of either Castrol Tection/Castrol Syntec, Mobil Delvac/Mobil 1 or Kendall Diesel Synthetic Blend with titanium/Kendall synthetic blend with titanium for my personal run in the T4R.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161
I used 3 quarts of Shell Rotella, Triple Protection, Dino Diesel, 10w-30 with a mix of 3 quarts of Formula Shell PCMO, 5w-30, SM, GF-4 during my run last summer. The engine ran smooth and I got the benefits of the Dino Diesel and the High Moly Formula Shell.

This coming summer I will try a blend of either Castrol Tection/Castrol Syntec, Mobil Delvac/Mobil 1 or Kendall Diesel Synthetic Blend with titanium/Kendall synthetic blend with titanium for my personal run in the T4R.

But by mixing them you diluted both additive packages thereby getting half the moly and half the Dino diesel.
I don't get it. Forum members turned chemists/triboligists thinking they can mix a couple of oils together getting a doubly great product.
I am going to guess that by mixing 2 different products you are effectively renedering a perfectly good oil not quite as good as it was before you started playing chef.

not a fan of mixing either ..
that being said My car takes 5.5qt
im not afraid to use a random .5 qt with 5qt jug

The owners manual for my Legend says to use 5W-30 (or 10W-30 if the temp never goes below 20F). I have been tempted to use Rotella T5 in the summer with 1 qt. of MMO.

Can't see it being a bad idea......as noted above....the Rotella Synthetic Blend 10W-30 is on the "thicker side" - but the MMO will "thin it out" a little bit, for those motors that fall in the lines more of a 5W-30-ish weight oil.....:)

Thinking of trying the 10W-30 this summer since I have read good stuff about it.....and not a bad idea, since my car holds 4 quarts (1 gallon) it's a no mess situation
smile.gif
Load and go....hehe.

Prove it! All you can do is guess? Don't you think that people have the knowledge and skill to use the telephone and call Shell BEFORE they blend? It's true.....all you can do is guess and make uninformed comments. Everyone is not a tribologist.....including you for that matter. Maybe you should ask before you jump to conclusions....or guess.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: mongo161

But by mixing them you diluted both additive packages thereby getting half the moly and half the Dino diesel.
I don't get it. Forum members turned chemists/triboligists thinking they can mix a couple of oils together getting a doubly great product.
I am going to guess that by mixing 2 different products you are effectively renedering a perfectly good oil not quite as good as it was before you started playing chef.

Last edited:
I have used Rotella a good bit, both T5 and Triple dino, it's worked well in everything I've put it in, which has been everything at one time or another. But yes it is thick, the T5 is better for vehicles that normally thrive on 5w30 IMO.

I see the 10w30 t5 all the time at my walmart, if it was a 5qt for 16 dollars and not 4qts I would try it..

I would defiantly grab it in 0w30..

I run T5 10w30 in my wet clutch ATV with NO problem. Plus, it is not even rated for JASO-MA! We also run it in our lawnmowers at 50 hour OCI's.

Triple7seven, you did'nt interpret the post wrong at all. My bad; I am planning on using the Rotella I purchased on sale in my 1941 Farmall H, and give some to my father for a belated birthday gift.

thanks for understanding

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back