New Boss 302, first oil change before a track day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes 4 for Redline. Keep in mind that they are "heavy" for their grade, so their 5w30 is comparable to most 5w40 oils. I would go with the 0w40 if you want that weight as it has a far stronger ad pak than their 5w40 (which is really a diesel oil).
I have used their 5w30 and 0w40 to great success on the track in my 328. Better still, not only are their oils fantastic for track applications, they are also excellent on the street. Pair it with a good filter and you are good to go!

Might be worth looking into the Royal Purple XPS oils for track use. They are specifically designed for this purpose, contain a hearty ad pak (tons of zddp, over 1200ppm I believe), and are very popular with the "muscle car crowd" (and in some Euro car circles; I know that I have been extremely pleased with their "regular" oil in my cars). They also make, IMO, some of the best oil filters around, so check and see if they make one for your car, it is worth doing.
I am disappointed they do not have any available for my Bimmers, but you can bet that the moment they do, I will be stocking up!

Perhaps a magnetic drain plug would be a good idea for your car?

Sincerely,
nleksan

Originally Posted By: BoleCailey
I actually meant redline 0w40, and motul 5w40. What about redlines 10w40?

In the 300V flavor, or one of the other ones (concerning the Motul 5W-40)??

I would only go to the Red Line 10W-40 IF your oil temps were sky high, and your oil pressures were low, in sessions, on track, as indicated by accurate gauges.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
Red Line 5W50 is too thick an oil for the Ford 5.0L and 5.4L engines IMO with its HTHS of 5.9 cP.

Agreed, I think Red Line 0W-40 would be the best choice for the Ford 5W-50 apps.

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
Red Line 5W50 is too thick an oil for the Ford 5.0L and 5.4L engines IMO with its HTHS of 5.9 cP.

I agree, and am not really looking at that.

We're talking about running a high-performance engine in open track days in the Texas heat. HTHS is the most important oil parameter to look at in this situation. Ford recommends Motorcraft 5w50, but nobody knows its HTHS. An oil that may be comparable is M1 5w50, and it has HTHS of 4.4. These 5w50 oils are commonly said on BITOG to shear to a 40-weight, which means that its HTHS could go as low as 3.5 after shearing in the engine.

On the other hand, there is Redline 10w40, which has an HTHS of 4.7, and will only suffer minimal shear because of its very low (or no) content of VII's. A 10w- oil will give adequate cold start performance for year-round use in Texas.

But if better cold start performance is desired, a mix of RL 5w50/0w40 would yield HTHS of ~4.9, but with higher VI than the 10w40.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: BoleCailey
I actually meant redline 0w40, and motul 5w40. What about redlines 10w40?

In the 300V flavor, or one of the other ones (concerning the Motul 5W-40)??

I would only go to the Red Line 10W-40 IF your oil temps were sky high, and your oil pressures were low, in sessions, on track, as indicated by accurate gauges.
wink.gif

300v 5w40 or redline 0w40 is what I am leaning towards.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Ford recommends Motorcraft 5w50, but nobody knows its HTHS. An oil that may be comparable is M1 5w50, and it has HTHS of 4.4. These 5w50 oils are commonly said on BITOG to shear to a 40-weight, which means that its HTHS could go as low as 3.5 after shearing in the engine.
The HTHS spec for new Motorcraft 5W50 is 3.7 cP minimum. However, I don't know what typical test results show.

The 3.7cP is just the minimum HTHS allowed for 50-weight oils by the SAE J300 standard. I hope MC 5w50 is better than that.

The 3.7cP is just the minimum HTHS allowed for 50-weight oils by the SAE J300 standard. I hope MC 5w50 is better than that.

I doubt it's all that high though, Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 and Pennzoil Platinum 5W-50 only have a HTHS viscosities of 4.1 cP. I'd wager that virgin Motorcraft 5W-50 is in the 4.0-4.2 cP range, and we know it shears down to a solid 40-weight in the GT500 5.4 within 1000 miles. Like here: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3509/08gt500oilsamplesept201.jpg

I'm pretty sure the Boss 302/GT500 engine would benefit from a comparatively shear stable 4.0 cP oil like Red Line 0W-40, I don't really see a need for something in the 4.5+ cP range for the 5.0/5.4.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

I doubt it's all that high though, Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 and Pennzoil Platinum 5W-50 only have a HTHS viscosities of 4.1 cP. I'd wager that virgin Motorcraft 5W-50 is in the 4.0-4.2 cP range, and we know it shears down to a solid 40-weight in the GT500 5.4 within 1000 miles. Like here: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3509/08gt500oilsamplesept201.jpg

I'm pretty sure the Boss 302/GT500 engine would benefit from a comparatively shear stable 4.0 cP oil like Red Line 0W-40, I don't really see a need for something in the 4.5+ cP range for the 5.0/5.4.

I pretty much agree. The race teams are using mobil 1 5w50. I am leaning towards Redline 0w40, the Motul is just so much more money and my friend gives me redline at cost.

Alright, track day is this weekend. Amazon is out of stock on Motul 300v 5W40 and redline 0w40, and my friend forgot to order the redline. I have a case of Castrol TWS 10w60 left over from the M3. Anyone have any problems with running that. I know it is closer to a 50wt and shears quickly to a mid to heavy 40wt and stabilizes there. It is usually considered to be about as good of an oil as anything you can buy for this type of application.

I would try and find a way to get it VERY hot before your run group goes out, or you go WOT with it!

CATERHAM will probably tell you NOT to run it, despite what it shears to, and to run what's in there now and change it out after this session/weekend.

How many miles do you have on the car? As long as it's more than 1000, and less than 4000, I say run on the factory fill. Then change oil after the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back