honda civic manual transmission fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ahoier
So there's no fluid whatsoever? Amsoil is wrong in them specing 10W-30 or 10W-40 Motor Oil as the "Manual Transmission Fluid"?

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=1986+HONDA+CIVIC+V

That being said, anything else to be checked....that would be causing the clutch to be slipping?

Amsoil now just specs what is OEM recommended at the time because "people were complaining".
crazy2.gif
33.gif
NOt about the products that were specified, but because they didn't match and when the called the dealer the dealer agreed it was a mismatch. :CRAZY:

BUT dealers are allowed to recommend the better product.

Amsoil MTF.

Yep, that makes total sense....but now I'm confused, because Amsoil specs a Transmission Fluid (10W-30...) for this Honda Civic CRX....but yes, it does have a clutch cable....so where's the need for the fluid?

Either way, they still went ahead and got the 10W-30 for kicks and giggles, he's now under the car looking now, for any possible "plug" along the "manual transmission" to check/top off the fluid.

We found a ehow/wikihow article (yea....I know....lol, not the "best" resource....but that's why I'm here HAHA) that said it's along the side of thr transmission, a plug or "weep hole" to check the transmission fluid.....apparantly, there's 2, one to empty it, and one to fill it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ahoier
Yep, that makes total sense....but now I'm confused, because Amsoil specs a Transmission Fluid (10W-30...) for this Honda Civic CRX....but yes, it does have a clutch cable....so where's the need for the fluid?

Either way, they still went ahead and got the 10W-30 for kicks and giggles, he's now under the car looking now, for any possible "plug" along the "manual transmission" to check/top off the fluid.

We found a ehow/wikihow article (yea....I know....lol, not the "best" resource....but that's why I'm here HAHA) that said it's along the side of thr transmission, a plug or "weep hole" to check the transmission fluid.....apparantly, there's 2, one to empty it, and one to fill it.

Depending on the vehicle, on my 1992 Civic Hatchback (VX model) with an S20 style M/T. I just remove the drain bolt(can't mistake it) on level ground or if possible to slightly tilt the angle of the car downward towards the drain plug...but instead of removing the fill plug I can just remove the Vehicle Speed Sensor and pour into the transmission that way. Much easier to refill and no worries of a leaking fill bolt b/c of washer issue seating or w/e.

The CRX may have a VSS on top of the transmission that; when removed safely(I kept the electrical harness attached, just removed like 3 bolts to remove the entire switch/unit combo), would allow for fluid refill via the top of the transmission for a more 'spill free' refill. Just be sure to replace the washer on whatever drain/fill bolts you do remove, and try to remove only the right ones!

Did you purchase an Amsoil 10w-30 of some sort?

PS: Using motor oil is okay, great to swap over. I'd still recommend going to Amsoil's MTF eventually, though the 10w-30 isn't necessarily an issue either just less Friction Modifiers so shifting might not be as good as with an MTF lube.

anyone believe a 1 second grind into 5th gear justifies a transmission drain and fill? i did this on my 5spd integra that has only 6k miles on the amsoil MTF. i have a magnetic drain plug in there too.

i previously ran amsoil mtf for 35k miles without grinding...longest non grinding streak has came to an end
frown.gif

I have like 5 times on this old thing in the past half year easy...first manual.
grin2.gif

...but...want to get a swap back the Amsoil MTF!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back