Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
So where is gold going? Or most likely, how strong will the dollar be?

I think gold's taking a siesta, especially if we get any inkling of economic growth next year and interest rates start to creep, which will help the dollar even more. But I'm usually wrong on these things if you've noticed!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

I think gold's taking a siesta, especially if we get any inkling of economic growth next year and interest rates start to creep, which will help the dollar even more. But I'm usually wrong on these things if you've noticed!

I hope you are. I currently have but one lonely actively-managed mutual fund in my portfolio (gone over to straight equities and index funds otherwise), and it's a real loser. It's a gold and other precious metals fund. It's supposed to be a "minerals and precious metals" fund that invests in a lot of different mining companies, but a lot of them are gold-based, and I have lost 32% on it since I bought it earlier this fall. I bought it as somewhat of a hedge, thinking the market was going to stay down, but so far, I've lost big on it. Fortunately, I only put $2,000 in it.

I'm contemplating on what to do...do I sell it now and invest the $1,300 elsewhere, or do I hang on and try to recover my money?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

I'm called Pablo Oftenwrong in most investment circles. I'm only kicking myself for not selling my gold funds! I think that's another reason for the stampede for the exit door.

Thank god I set up my GLD with stop losses. My PRPFX is starting to take a dump as well.

au0365lf_ma.gif

Gold is flirting with the 200 day MA; it tried to rebound above it, but didn't break it.

My 2012 Prediction, we'll have a 12+% correction early February, plus or minus one month. The two weeks leading up to march options expirations is another danger point, same goes for Feb expirations.

Another topic, these guys here are a pretty unique managed fund.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hl?s=MOFQX+Holdings

http://marketocracy.com/products

They've been heavily in cash, and are only 70% invested right now, with a good fraction of that 70% in treasury and money market funds.

Competent enough for a position for managed money IMO, if a dip does happen later this winter.

12% - maybe possible, depends on the "reason" for the panic.

No one has weighed in yet with 2011 results. I'm still waiting until the end of today for all the year end reporting, but I'll be up over 10%. I keep beating the averages with lower risk.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Looks like a stealth rally going on...buy dips?

IBD confirmed the rally with the follow through the other day.

Not really stealth - volume starting to pop.

Careful.

Only buying on a BIG pullback. We'll know more by the end of the month.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Careful.

Only buying on a BIG pullback. We'll know more by the end of the month.

That's all fine and good, but you miss the rallies.

Unless they're a sucker rally.
smile.gif

The guy I know well who lives this said to wait till the end of the month, so that's what I'm doing. I'm not sure that's the right course, but I'm only moderate compared to him.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Yes...Probably a good idea to take profits.

I probably did something foolish today, I sold $100,000+ worth of mutual funds I've kinda been ignoring.....up nicely, but not fitting my plan. Good to have a little extra cash in case the next down trend hits, but I have just assured the market will go full tilt rally soon
grin2.gif

If the markets go down, it's Pablo "For The Win"!
grin.gif

"My guy" is perplexed people (investors & markets) are just ignoring the same EU situation and powering forward. That can be good... for a while... but it's still there and they're just sweeping it under the rug. He has me waiting until the end of Jan. and he'll know much more by then and we'll adjust accordingly. Meanwhile, it's pretty conservative for me.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

"My guy" is perplexed people (investors & markets) are just ignoring the same EU situation and powering forward. That can be good... for a while... but it's still there and they're just sweeping it under the rug. He has me waiting until the end of Jan. and he'll know much more by then and we'll adjust accordingly. Meanwhile, it's pretty conservative for me.

Isnt Greece's economy the size of Indiana's? Even Germany I believe is only an economy of the size of the state of California.

So in the big picture, perhaps all is not the doom and gloom that is pitched by the talking heads, to get people to sell and rob them of more.

Im not making any investment decisions or recommendations per se based upon that logic. But IMO it is a consideration before calling everything doom.

The whole process of wealth transfer is to scare you into disgorging your stomach contents to save your bacon while swooping down and eating that which wasn't worked for.

It's nature...

For the last few weeks I've been hearing from the talking heads about the slow but steady economic recovery.

Today, I hear about the fed considering QE-3. What happened in the blink of an eye?

Good news on the financial news networks means ratings. Falling markets mean falling ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back