2011 Chevy Cruze
1.4L with turbo
Mobil 1 5W-30 (not EP)
7,075 miles on oil sample
12,075 mile in engine
34% left on the OLM
UOA was done at Blackstone Labs
No make up oil added

Normally I have to travel for work so this car sees very little city driving and 95% of the miles are 3+ hr drives.

Code:

12/04/11 1/8/12

ALUMINUM 6 10

CHROMIUM 0 1

IRON 15 22

COPPER 14 16

LEAD 0 0

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 61 75

NICKEL 0 1

MANGANESE 1 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 8 22

BORON 42 35

SILICON 8 11

SODIUM 64 78

CALCIUM 1115 1219

MAGNESIUM 627 680

PHOSPHORUS 594 694

ZINC 633 728

BARIUM 1 1

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 57.2 56.4

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.43 9.19

Flashpoint in °F 415 375

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2 0.2

TBN 3.6 3.2

TAN 5.4 4.8

The sample was taken using a pump so the oil tested is still in the car. I haven't yet decided when I am going to take the next sample. Probably in 1500-2000 miles.

As for the TAN, I added it more as a curiosity. Going to do it on a few samples just to see what numbers I get.

Nice report on such a new engine. If the warranty isn't a concern then 10K won't be a problem.

Nice looking report. Good tbn. Looks like it'll last you a good long time at this rate.

With 34% still left on the OLM, looks like warranty wont even be affected at 10k runs. seems like that's right around where 0% would put you

Definitely add 1/4 quart of makeup oil and resample @ 10k during the OC.

If you plan to do 10k OCIs, i'd use the M1 EP simply because @ 10k OCIs with your driving style, it would leave a good chunk of TBN to spare, instead of running the TBN down into the 1.0 range. That's just me.

Maybe once the engine finishes breaking in, maybe 12k OCIs might be possible with M1 EP.

Nice report!

My OLM was at 30% when I changed the Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-30 (dexos1 compatible formula). It'll be interesting to see how other full synthetic dexos1/SN oils stack up.

I think my run with QSUD with pretty much the same miles looks better. The QSUD viscosity held rock solid. With you driving 3 + hours on your trips. That kind of driving is real easy on oil.

Is this your second OCI? Why the sodium and potassium numbers?

CruzeUOA.jpg

Buster, we all know you're the #1 Mobil 1 fan boy on bitog. They can't do no wrong in your eyes. Why are the Postassium and Sodium levels high? If he dumped the ff at 5,000 miles. The FF ACDelco oil doesn't have any Sodium in it.

My girlfriend drives 90% highway, 35 highway miles each way to work. He says he drives 3+ hours of highway driving at a time. That is easier on the oil then my girlfriends miles.

The Mobil 1 went from 11.0 @100C to 9.19 @100c. The QSUD went from 10.6 @100c to 10.1 @100c in the same amount of miles.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Buster, we all know you're the #1 Mobil 1 fan boy on bitog. They can't do no wrong in your eyes. Why are the Postassium and Sodium levels high? If he dumped the ff at 5,000 miles. The FF ACDelco oil doesn't have any Sodium in it.

My girlfriend drives 90% highway, 35 highway miles each way to work. He says he drives 3+ hours of highway driving at a time. That is easier on the oil then my girlfriends miles.

The Mobil 1 went from 11.0 @100C to 9.19 @100c. The QSUD went from 10.6 @100c to 10.1 @100c in the same amount of miles.

Maybe the pump he used for extraction had been previously used for extracting coolant?

You can't compare UOA's from different lubes, and particularly from different vehicles! It has nothing to do with being a "fanboy" or not.

Please familiarize yourself with this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis/

lol.gif

I have nothing against QSUD or any Pennzoil product. I was just curious where that was coming from. That was funny though.

- Mobil 1 FAN BOY

I will still say the QSUD held up better then the Mobil 1. The viscosity retention alone over the 7,000 miles would make me use QSUD over Mobil 1. We all know if there's a Mobil 1 thread, Buster will be there defending it to his death. I will leave it at that.

Both samples were taken from the second fill of oil for the car. The oil sampled is still in use. Over the last month I have not been traveling much so the miles put on since the last sample have consisted of more "city" driving. Maybe around a 50/50 ratio with at least half of the city miles being short 1-2 mile runs.

As for the sodium and potassium levels going up I find it to be a bit of a concern but I am not going to worry too much till I see how the numbers trend next time.

The pump I used is strictly for oil samples so there shouldn't be any contamination.

How many miles were on the FF when you dumped it? I dumped mine at 2,580.

I ended up dumping mine at 5000.

I will still say the QSUD held up better then the Mobil 1. The viscosity retention alone over the 7,000 miles would make me use QSUD over Mobil 1. We all know if there's a Mobil 1 thread, Buster will be there defending it to his death. I will leave it at that.

No ya don't! I'm the #1 M1 fanboy, not Buster.
01.gif
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

No ya don't! I'm the #1 M1 fanboy, not Buster.
01.gif
banana2.gif

lol

You also used a different lab. Given the variances we see between just Blackstone and itself, well.... As I said, you can't compare UOA's from different oils, let alone those from different vehicles. And heck, now you are adding a different lab into the mix
wink.gif

Mobil 1 hasn't always put up the best numbers on here, I've said that before.

Originally Posted By: buster

Mobil 1 hasn't always put up the best numbers on here, I've said that before.

Right. But what those numbers actually MEAN, well........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back