Antifreeze/coolant questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Coolant_Man
This is solely my humble opinion. It is not meant to cause any hatred or fights.

It seems to me that some people believe that coolants such as Prestone AMAM and Super Tech are somehow inferior.

I am using Super Tech mixed with distilled water in several different brands of cars and trucks including a motorcycle. I have had no problems with Super Tech coolant whatsoever.

I freely admit I use to not like Super Tech. I had the mentality of it being inferior without any real proof and I used John Deere Cool-Gard in everything. I was wrong. Super Tech is working just fine.

I started a thread earlier today about Polar coolant and their global formula. The current usage of different coolants is stupid. Back until about 1990, everyone used a universal coolant; old green silicate/phosphate. Then aluminum started to be widely used causing the mess we are in now. The Europeans have a lot of hard water so they want silicates instead of phosphates and the Asians have the opposite belief. A safe global coolant is needed.

I think all the auto manufacturers need to sit in a room and decide already what they are all going to use.

Personally, I would like to see a global OAT coolant 100% proven to not cause any issues in any car or light-duty truck and the same coolant with maybe some sort of pour-in additive used in heavy-duty applications if needed. Pretty much what they all use to do running old green in cars and light-duty trucks and adding SCA to it for heavy-duty diesels and such.
Wouldn't something like Final Charge Global be the answer? Pretty much can be used in anything as is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
39.gif
Ok flamers,let me have it,i'm ready!
39.gif

I have been reading Coolant Mans posts and did like he did;research.I have called at least 12 local and non local radiator shops and asked them,if I were to bring my truck into their shop,what coolant would they use? Ok you brain washed followers grab hold of something,they ALL,yes I typed ALL,said they would use AMAMs type coolant! OMG,are some of you still standing?
crackmeup2.gif

Here's one you are really going to like;one owner of an indy car care shop said he uses the "old green" coolant in most of his customers cars! Holy Coolant BatMan,the old green stuff?
lol.gif
His car care center/radiator shop has been family owned for over 52 years.
All of the shops I called did say they would use Ford Gold if I wanted it,but would charge anywhere from $25-$50 extra.
So,those of you that have not passed out yet after reading this,hit me with your best shot!
06.gif

There are a lot of cars with AMAM's in them. Even if the Dexclone/2eha does any damage it will be after quite sometime. Besides isn't only not compatible with silicon?

Last edited:
3311, i changed all my fluids to final charge..this coolant is a big overkill protection but i love overkill for my vehicles...i would go with that..there is no 2eha in final charge..the other day i was driving for a couple of hours on the highway and in the city..i put a thermometer in the fill tank the temp was 150 degrees!!i changed fluids and filter was able to bare hand the filter was just warm!!this coolant really cools the engine better then g05 and others...just my observation...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3311
Wouldn't something like Final Charge Global be the answer? Pretty much can be used in anything as is.

Final Charge is an excellent coolant. Any coolant meeting Cat EC-1 seems to be the true universal coolant. It is not as easy to find as Prestone AMAM or Super Tech though. It would be so easy if every auto company used the same thing. If heavy duty diesel, don't use Prestone AMAM or Super Tech but definitely use a coolant meeting Cat EC-1.

Now if I can just find Final Charge. Truck stop near here only carries 50/50 and Napa wants $28.50 for it. Just said screw it and used Peak Global in my 06 2500 tonight.
Everlasting looked pretty good on 150k factory fill Dex, some scale in the recovery tank and sand in the radiator. But all in all pretty clean. I'm gonna put coolant filters on everything I have though.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of using HD coolants for a gas passenger vehicle application. They can have a heavier does of OAT inhibitors that were not validated for the cooling system. Also some of the HD coolants are nitrited Dexcool. Nitrites aren't necessary in a gas engine and are somewhat counter-protective of aluminum and solder.

None of that is to say HD coolant is necessarily harmful just that it is unnecessary for corrosion protection. If I'm going to go with a so-called universal extended life coolant, I just use Dexcool/Dexclone (preferably Zerex or Havoline) or Peak Global.

I agree, BUT those meeting Cat EC-1 are not suppose to have any of the old additives in it. Cat EC-1 is phosphate-free, silicate-free, nitrite-free and borate-free. In a regular car or truck though don't try to go 300K without changing. I wouldn't go anymore than 2-3 years and 60K miles.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
pep boys sells it for 12 bucks

For Final Charge or Fleet Charge?

ford has tsb out says no coolant filters.
I wonder why?

Originally Posted By: Coolant_Man
I agree, BUT those meeting Cat EC-1 are not suppose to have any of the old additives in it. Cat EC-1 is phosphate-free, silicate-free, nitrite-free and borate-free. In a regular car or truck though don't try to go 300K without changing. I wouldn't go anymore than 2-3 years and 60K miles.

Cat ELC, which meets the EC-1 spec is not nitrite-free. It is a NOAT.

Detroit Diesel PowerCool Plus is, I believe, the same as Old World Industries Final Charge. It is nitrite-free. So, if you have a DD dealer near you, you then have a source for Final Charge. I pay $24/gallon for PowerCool Plus in Canada, the US DD dealers must be selling it for about $20/gallon.

I wonder why?
They probably want to sell all the 6.0/6.4 diesel engine people EGR coolers! There's no way a "blank" i.e. no SCA filter could do any damage!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I wonder why?
They probably want to sell all the 6.0/6.4 diesel engine people EGR coolers! There's no way a "blank" i.e. no SCA filter could do any damage!

What you could use the stock 6.0 coolant filter...

this-is-a-cut-away-of-the-factory-60l-engine-oil-cooler-this-unit-pl.jpg

Hehe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back