CALCIUM 2269 / 2075
MAGNESIUM 9 / 138
PHOSPHORUS 668 / 764
ZINC 745 / 934
BARIUM 0 / 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2 / WATER 0.0 / ANTIFREEZE 0 / 0
FUEL FLASHPOINT 405F / >365
SUS VISCOSITY @ 210F 60.1 / 59-68

This is my first oil analysis. I have been running Pennzoil Platinum for about 6,000 miles. (Two oil changes ago.) with Fram oil filter. I have been noticing upper engine noise since I switched to Pennzoil Platinum. Looking at the report it shows high lead. So now I am running Mobil 1 with Nissan OEM filter. Any Comments?

Wow, nothing to really explain the lead, any fuel additives? tin and copper are 0 so maybe there is another explanation. The only thing I see are a little Potassium and Sodium, which may be a small coolant leak.

-T

Triple_Se7en
The noise it still there only at cold start-up until engine is at normal operating temp. Carbon build up? The owners manual says 5w-30 but 10w-30 can be used.

T-keith
I used a couple of fuel additives (fuel injector/carbon cleaner) to see if the noise will go away. Could they contain lead?

Which new vehicle manufacturer doesn't want it's purchasers to use synthetics?

Is it Nissan? I remember someone posting it - just don't remember who or why.

Are you sure it's engine noise... not timing chain?

Is it possible the noise could be coming from a belt cover that's pinching or a pulley/pump bearing?

It doesn't appear to be coming from the Platinum or M-1. I use both of these synthetics in my best rides.

Triple_Se7en
I have not read anything saying don't use synthetics in Nissan vehicles. I'll keep an eye open. I don't know where the noises coming from. Might take it in to the dealer after thanks giving.

T-Keith
Off the top of my head I used STP Fuel Injector and Carburetor Treatment and some other ones from walmart. (going back to walmart and writing down which ones I used)

Triple_5e7en, Nissan is the manufacturer you're thinking of, but the exact wording is that synthetic oils are "not recommended." This doesn't mean "don't use," however, just that Nissan doesn't believe they are required in their vehicles. Many folks (including myself) use synthetics in all of Nissan's engine to great effect.

From the owners manual: "Mineral based or synthetic type oils may be used in your NISSAN vehicle. However these oils must meet the API quality and SAE viscosity ratings specified for your vehicle. Do not mix mineral based and synthetic type oils in the engine."

I just put GC 0w-30 in my wifes 1.8L '02 Sentra and it's real quiet.

I can't see where you couldn't mix oils if you wanted to. Why would they recommend not mixing??

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Howdy:
I can't see where you couldn't mix oils if you wanted to. Why would they recommend not mixing??

Nissan is probably just trying to discourage folks from making some sort of Frankenstein-mix and causing damage to the engine.

Glad to see you made it over here from the Sentra board. One thing I would add..keep the level up to the top of the dipstick. This engine has a tiny oil capacity. Also as pointed out..keep an eye on the sodium and potassium. Its not up to the worry level, but these engines are prone to head gasket leaks.

Finally (and I say this a lot) A quart of RedLine oil mixed in there might cut your led back. It did for me. I have already mixed Redline with Havoline, Mobil 1, Motorcraft, and (Gulp) GC
shocked.gif

Al
Thanks for the pointers. I always check my oil every fill up on gas, coolant when cold. Yes the car has a tiny oil sump. For me 3 quarts exactly with every oil change. I'll look into Redline oil, don't know how much it cost, but shouldn't bother me.

My dad has an 03 sentra XE with the 1.8L engine. We had a massive headgasket coolant leak in this engine. Search for my UOAs posted here. He had it repaired under the powertrain 60k warranty not without a fight though. Since you have 17k miles left of the powertrain warranty, I would monitor the oil with UOAs to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back