BMW-335D question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the BMW 335D and I see that it takes Adblue/DEF.I would like to know why you must not top off the old fluid but drain all of the old DEF/Adblue and refill with fresh DEF?Thanks Joe

+1 I never heard it needed to be drained, just topped off. You only get a certain amount of starts without any in the tank before the car wont start anymore. Seriously, its programmed in. Same with Mercedes.

I never heard of that either. Possibly the stuff is supplied in a specific volume container and one must drain out the last of the old in order to get all the new in? Hardly makes any sense to me.

I dont think the packaging is the problem, looking at the wholesale catalog Its available in 1 gallon. 5 gallon, 20 gallon, and pallet (375 gallone) from Napa.

I thought it was because the ammonia in the adblue degrades after a couple of years and no longer does its job in the emission controls. Having said that, I wonder if you use 90% of it and have 10% dilution, won't it still work in controlling NOx?

Adblue is cheap. You can buy it at the auto parts stores and truck stops. Is it hard to drain?

On my first service, it was not clear to me whether the dealer drained and filled or just filled. I think the documentation implied the latter.

A time based drain and refill makes sense, Im assuming the adblue tank would be topped off at every service, 13-18k or 1 year. A low miles car may run into that issue. Burt, whats your service interval on the car showing for an oil change? Just wondering if it uses the same calculations for the diesel as gasoline.

Why wouldn't you just run it low until the computer instructed a refill, then refill it? Urea is available almost everywhere, even the Speedway convenience stores have it around here (DefBlue).

Originally Posted By: Audios
Burt, whats your service interval on the car showing for an oil change? Just wondering if it uses the same calculations for the diesel as gasoline.

It shows 15k miles or one year for each oil change. If I heard correctly, the dealer will do it every 6 mos for the first 48k miles as an additional courtesy. In any event, I plan to change the oil every 7500 miles. The oil goes black almost immediately in the 335d.

You have to buy special non-phosphate oil to protect the catalyst. It costs $7 per quart times 6. Pep boys or online is the only place I have found it.

Yes, the dealer better have it or else I would really be in trouble. It's 5W-30 for the 335d.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back