Returned a broken Craftsman ratchet..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The Williams B-52EHA would have been the idle replacement for that old Craftsman ratchet.

THANK YOU!!!
thumbsup2.gif

http://www.emisupply.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8155

Look, it is only $26.00!!!! And made in the USA!

I believe that some of the problem is that people can walk into HF and buy it and not hunt down some Matco or Snapon truck that might not even sell to them. You go to many of the auto supply stores and it is foreign made, CM is getting that way and so on. Sorry but unless you use the tools a lot at work it is hard to justify. Many times I've bought a HF tool simply because it was cheap enough and if I had to modify it or just have it around for that one special time it made it worthwhile.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Look, it is only $26.00!!!! And made in the USA!

What it is is a Snap-on F936 in sheep's clothing.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: 65cuda
I believe that some of the problem is that people can walk into HF and buy it and not hunt down some Matco or Snapon truck that might not even sell to them. You go to many of the auto supply stores and it is foreign made, CM is getting that way and so on. Sorry but unless you use the tools a lot at work it is hard to justify. Many times I've bought a HF tool simply because it was cheap enough and if I had to modify it or just have it around for that one special time it made it worthwhile.

Right, the whole "convenience" factor. But what I've recently discovered is that Brafasco carries a very wide selection of American tools at reasonable prices. And there is always the option of just ordering on-line if you don't need it right that second.

I won't buy the 3rd world stuff simply on principle alone. If I know I won't use it many times, I'll just buy KD or a less expensive American brand. That's what I did with my pitman arm puller. The KD was like $30? A fraction of what the Snap-On one was, and still American made.

WOW!! This is the first Ive heard getting a refurb from Sears. Haven't broken anything in while.
IMO Craftsman was the only tool I would buy because of the convenience/quality/and relative price. But I guess those days are long gone. Come to think of it I haven't been in a Sears in 5 years. No wonder why they are having difficulty.

Does anyone know if they still make the Craftsman Industrial 13 amp(I think)) 1/2 drill. Last I heard it was special order only. It is/was the only 1/2 drill made that can drill thru lead(own an industrial battery company). We have some that 30 years old and our newest is probably 15ish years old.
It's shame if they retired that beast. Best 1/2 inch drill(non hammer) ever made, period.

It is still Chinese off-shore clones of what were originally quality, American tools.

I don't support that in any way, shape or form.

I'm not so cheap that I can't spend the extra few dollars on an American, Canadian or German made tool (first world). Given what we spend on over-the-top oil changes, filters and other excessive purchases for our vehicles, it surprises me that the same people spending $80 on a freakin' oil change that will be in a drain pan in a few months can't pony up the same $80 for a ratchet that'll probably out-live them.

Distribution is tough.

HF sends me emails and the occasional paper flyer in the mail. They're on my radar.

Sears does not. I bought a dishwasher from them and have never heard from them again. As much as I check off "please don't spam me" you'd think they'd at least have a tracking cookie on my computer.

Sears doesn't direct mail me or put ads on TV that I watch or websites that I visit.

I pick on sears because they could (and should) be the every day joe "tool store" for made in USA, tolerable quality stuff.

HF has, for what they are, a complete catalog. Need an inner tie rod tool? They have it. Corner brace for gluing wood stuff together? Welding magnets? Yup. They are my go-to website to even *see* what an esoteric tool looks like, and where pricing starts.

Yeah, I'd pay 25-50% more for American/ First world made stuff. Sears is going to China. Where am I going to find middle-of-the-road tools? (This is not a rhetorical question, I really want to know!) Things are getting to where I have to be a one-percenter to buy "great" or, frankly, am a mouse click and coupon away from "adequate."

It's appropriate that Harbor Frieght tools made in the "People's Republic" of China have brand names like "Pittsburgh" and "Chicago".

I have recently returned a few tools to sears. A 1/4" ratchet (got a refurb from under the register like the OP) and several precision screwdrivers that broke off between the handle and the tool itself. Those were replaced with new ones.

jeff

Originally Posted By: eljefino

It is still Chinese off-shore clones of what were originally quality, American tools.

I don't support that in any way, shape or form.

I'm not so cheap that I can't spend the extra few dollars on an American, Canadian or German made tool (first world). Given what we spend on over-the-top oil changes, filters and other excessive purchases for our vehicles, it surprises me that the same people spending $80 on a freakin' oil change that will be in a drain pan in a few months can't pony up the same $80 for a ratchet that'll probably out-live them.

Distribution is tough.

HF sends me emails and the occasional paper flyer in the mail. They're on my radar.

Sears does not. I bought a dishwasher from them and have never heard from them again. As much as I check off "please don't spam me" you'd think they'd at least have a tracking cookie on my computer.

Sears doesn't direct mail me or put ads on TV that I watch or websites that I visit.

I pick on sears because they could (and should) be the every day joe "tool store" for made in USA, tolerable quality stuff.

HF has, for what they are, a complete catalog. Need an inner tie rod tool? They have it. Corner brace for gluing wood stuff together? Welding magnets? Yup. They are my go-to website to even *see* what an esoteric tool looks like, and where pricing starts.

Yeah, I'd pay 25-50% more for American/ First world made stuff. Sears is going to China. Where am I going to find middle-of-the-road tools? (This is not a rhetorical question, I really want to know!) Things are getting to where I have to be a one-percenter to buy "great" or, frankly, am a mouse click and coupon away from "adequate."

Check the website I linked earlier.

Where is your nearest Brafasco?

Originally Posted By: greenjp
It's appropriate that Harbor Frieght tools made in the "People's Republic" of China have brand names like "Pittsburgh" and "Chicago".

I've been meaning to Google some of the brand names they carry at HF. I sometimes wonder if they're really old-line American names or just fake names invented by a marketer to make people feel good about buying them.

Recently I've been looking at shop presses, to press out control arm bushings, etc. Reviews on HF presses are all over the place. Some are so bad they're almost comical. Some however are fairly good. I'll keep looking for something made here though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: tig1
Craftsman tools may declining in quality but I was in HF recently and noticed the Pittsburg brand tools are actually increasing in quality. Most all of my tools are US made and I don't need any new tools, but the HF are starting to impress. Not the junk it used to be.

I agree 100%. Pittsburg is very impressive with pretty darn good sockets, rachets and screwdrivers etc.. So are their Cen-tek and Chicago electric brands.

facepalm.jpg

Let me get this straight:

I'm sure you'd like people to consider a GM as their next automotive purchase, correct?

I'm sure you feel that GM vehicles, despite the fact that they are union-made and cost far more than it would cost to produce a "Harbour Freight" car from China, are world-class and would, if Chinese vehicles were available here (and at the current rate and what I'm seeing here.... they will be and people will be buying them) be the brand you would tell people to buy, NOT the Chinese cars, right? are you with me still?

BUT, it is apparently fine to go buy Chinese tools from Harbour Freight, and then call them IMPRESSIVE?

Snap-On, MAC, Armstrong, KD....etc are all American, but they cost money, because, like one of your GM vehicles, they aren't made by freakin' slave labour in a third-world country!

Do you guys not see what you are doing here? It's a double standard!

It is OK for you to buy Chinese junk from Harbour Freight, because it has nothing to do with YOUR job. But you want somebody to buy vehicles, or whatever the heck you make, or your brand represents from the company you work for INSTEAD of something off-shore, because you like to stay employed!

Do you not think the Snap-On guy likes to have his freakin' job? What about the guy at Brafasco? No?

Life isn't serial folks! It's a mesh made up of millions of star topologies. Every decision you make, every item you buy, every thing you do has an impact on somebody else. It appears many of us cannot see past the ends of our noses, past the figure on the bottoms of our pay cheques.

This blows my freakin' mind, especially considering how much we've talked about it on here lately!

Keep buying the Chinese stuff boys. Just don't be surprised when they are buying you.

I don't quite know what kind of day you had, but you sure lashed out on me for quite a few things that YOU have no idea about concerning me.

Is your point correct, yes. I agree with your overall point - but leave me out of it. I never said anything about owning or buying HF tools over American made tools when you can find them. Getting that point straight - let me now explain that my point about Pittsburg (Harbor Freight) tools actually being pretty good IN NO WAY said he y'all lets go an buy them and put America out of work. We were talking about CRAFTSMAN having rachets made in CHINA - and they are NOT made as well as the older USA ones. MY point again - if you are going to by a China Craftsman, why not just get a China HF??? Better made, less price and same warranty.

That was the extent of my comment, man. You really went of the deep end and you really don't even know me. I buy AMERICAN made items as much as possible...tool wise...my tool box is made up of roughly 60% Craftsman, 25% Snap-on, 10% OTC and the rest (yeah) Harbor Freight for those "only need one use tools".

There was nothing wrong in my acknowledging that HF actually had a quality improvement in their tools. I personally think Snap On is overpriced, but I have spent the money on them for tools that I use most and don't mind spending more for quality. But, Snap On is not so much better for the money than a lesser brand for the average DIY'er and that is where HF deals with most. Just like you say I want people to by GM, sure - but we still need to make a quality car at a FAIR price...why don't some of our USA tool makers bring some jobs BACK here (Craftsman)??

This is all related to the "global economy" brain washing out nation has been subjected to by big gov't and big business. I am all for global economies as long as we build here and ship abroad. But this is not the case - profits rule the roost.

Last - In case you have not noticed - the Chinese practically already own us.

In the future, maybe make your post a bit more broad rather than funneling it all to one person.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I don't quite know what kind of day you had, but you sure lashed out on me for quite a few things that YOU have no idea about concerning me.

Actually I had a pretty decent day
21.gif

Quote:
Is your point correct, yes. I agree with your overall point - but leave me out of it. I never said anything about owning or buying HF tools over American made tools when you can find them.

I apologize for singling you out, that wasn't my intention. I quoted your post because the underlying message I got from the posts made by yourself and Tig was something I feel is a core issue regarding the entire domination of domestic shelves with Chinese products.

Quote:
Getting that point straight - let me now explain that my point about Pittsburg (Harbor Freight) tools actually being pretty good IN NO WAY said he y'all lets go an buy them and put America out of work. We were talking about CRAFTSMAN having rachets made in CHINA - and they are NOT made as well as the older USA ones. MY point again - if you are going to by a China Craftsman, why not just get a China HF??? Better made, less price and same warranty.

OK, but in that vein, why not boycott all of them? I won't buy Chinese Craftsman either. Instead I'll look to tools like those posted by Merkava: Inexpensive, American-made tools
thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
That was the extent of my comment, man. You really went of the deep end and you really don't even know me. I buy AMERICAN made items as much as possible...tool wise...my tool box is made up of roughly 60% Craftsman, 25% Snap-on, 10% OTC and the rest (yeah) Harbor Freight for those "only need one use tools".

Come on, I didn't make it personal enough to make it sound like I was trying to say I "knew you". And my intention was not to single out YOU, it was to single out that ideology expressed or implied in your post that the Chinese stuff is "good enough". Because that's the problem!

It is complacency! Once people just start shrugging it off that "everything is going Chinese and I might as well buy it from China Freight" then they've won!

Quote:
There was nothing wrong in my acknowledging that HF actually had a quality improvement in their tools. I personally think Snap On is overpriced, but I have spent the money on them for tools that I use most and don't mind spending more for quality. But, Snap On is not so much better for the money than a lesser brand for the average DIY'er and that is where HF deals with most. Just like you say I want people to by GM, sure - but we still need to make a quality car at a FAIR price...why don't some of our USA tool makers bring some jobs BACK here (Craftsman)??

I agree that there is nothing inherently wrong with acknowledging that the Chinese clones are getting better in quality. However, you didn't follow that statement with anything regarding the fear that all brands are headed this way or something in that vein that shows that you don't support the direction things are going, which is why I quoted you!

Regarding Snap-On, I agree! They are pricey. But there are PLENTY of other American brands out there to choose from
thumbsup2.gif

And to follow this for a second, why is it when somebody mentions not buying Chinese the people who oppose that statement ALWAYS bring up the fact that Snap-On is too expensive. Nobody said to buy Snap-On! I know I sure as heck didn't!

That's like saying "German cars are too expensive, so I buy Tata motors". Somebody takes issue with that, and the response is "have you priced a Bugatti Veyron lately?, JEEZ!".

It's like
crazy2.gif
?????????

Last time I checked, Snap-on was just one of MANY US tool brands. As I mentioned earlier, when I need something less expensive, I'll buy KD.

Quote:
This is all related to the "global economy" brain washing out nation has been subjected to by big gov't and big business. I am all for global economies as long as we build here and ship abroad. But this is not the case - profits rule the roost.

Last - In case you have not noticed - the Chinese practically already own us.

In the future, maybe make your post a bit more broad rather than funneling it all to one person.

Again, that wasn't my intention. And I certainly have issue with the direction "globalization" has taken us, and continues to take us. It is a frustrating topic for me, even when I'm having a good day
wink.gif

Sorry for singling you out
cheers3.gif

Not all HF stuff is made in China. Most if not all of the Pittsburgh Pro line is made in Taiwan. Big difference politically, and generally speaking the Taiwan quality is better.

Originally Posted By: PRND3L
Not all HF stuff is made in China. Most if not all of the Pittsburgh Pro line is made in Taiwan. Big difference politically, and generally speaking the Taiwan quality is better.

OK, but neither of those locations are in America. So why is the tool brand called "Pittsburgh"? It is to pull on the patriotic heartstrings of Americans to make them feel warm and fuzzy about buying off-shore products.

I helped my neighbor install a lift on his Jeep Wrangler last weekend and he had a set of Armstrong ratcheting wrenches. Nice product, and also made in the USA. I have no idea how much they cost, but they look high quality.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I helped my neighbor install a lift on his Jeep Wrangler last weekend and he had a set of Armstrong ratcheting wrenches. Nice product, and also made in the USA. I have no idea how much they cost, but they look high quality.

The Armstrong stuff (I just got some) is reasonably priced, and as you experienced, excellent quality.

Did you ask him where he bought them?

He said a friend who works for Lowe's got them. But I don't think Lowe's sells it. There are a few local distributors for Armstrong, including Fastenal. No Lowe's though.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
He said a friend who works for Lowe's got them. But I don't think Lowe's sells it. There are a few local distributors for Armstrong, including Fastenal. No Lowe's though.

Fastenal is up here too, they are very similar to Brafasco. Do you have one locally that you could check out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back