Cooper AT3s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
AT3s are great in the mud.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6btrc_f1GuY

I've seen this vid. before. That wasn't much mud in the vid. Flat ground, muddy water with hard bottom. Could have made it through there with my wife's grand am and bald tires easy. I'd have to power wash it for an hour before I got home though or I'd be in the dog house

Agreed....anything can make it through that

Yup seen all these vids too. Better mud (a lot of water) but still on flat ground and the jeep just got a running start and sped through. A good way to get through the mud no doubt but not a true TIRE test IMO. I'd like to see one where the vehicle crawls, stops and starts in the mud and something with an incline. I guess I'll have to find some real mud and test myself and get back to ya.

I've got a plow installed on the truck the other day and am still waiting for snow. Work has slowed down a lot lately and I haven't been out off roading with the truck in a while so I still don't know how they are in the mud either. I guess I could drop down over into my woods and try them out. It's been raining for a day or so and the woods roads are real muddy...

Well that was stupid. I did a little 4 wheelin' or should I say 2 wheelin' with my 4X4 truck tonight. Darn open diffs. got me stuck...bad. I had to use my old ford to pull myself out. At least I know I need lockers for sure (looking at ARB air lockers). AT3's loaded up but would clean out once they were spun a bit.
stuck.jpg

This is a pic of the rear wheel (the one with power). One front wheel spun and one rear spun. Pathetic!

Last edited:
Well that was stupid. I did a little 4 wheelin' or should I say 2 wheelin' with my 4X4 truck tonight. Darn open diffs. got me stuck...bad. I had to use my old ford to pull myself out. At least I know I need lockers for sure (looking at ARB air lockers). AT3's loaded up but would clean out once they were spun a bit.
stuck.jpg

This is a pic of the rear wheel (the one with power). One front wheel spun and one rear spun. Pathetic!

How would u say the tires performed?

Honestly I can't say yet. The open diffs on my truck really limited me. A giant mud tire wouldn't have made any difference. Not to mention that my truck is 23ft long, 75psi in the E rated tires and no weight in the bed.

Last edited:
yeah..that's the bad thing about an open bed truck. The mud in your pic is our twice daily scenerio out here in the toolies, we have 20 miles of it round trip in the early spring/winter.

Summer's great, cause then it all dries up.

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
yeah..that's the bad thing about an open bed truck. The mud in your pic is our twice daily scenerio out here in the toolies, we have 20 miles of it round trip in the early spring/winter.

Summer's great, cause then it all dries up.

I'd like to see pics of your 20 mile "driveway" Ramblin. Somethng most people wouldn't even see on an off road trip. Kinda put things into perspective. If your driveway is like my woods roads, I'd have the largest mud tire I could find with lockers front and rear for sure! A winch front and rear also!

I'd like to see pics of your 20 mile "driveway" Ramblin. Somethng most people wouldn't even see on an off road trip. Kinda put things into perspective. If your driveway is like my woods roads, I'd have the largest mud tire I could find with lockers front and rear for sure! A winch front and rear also!

Never said the mud road was my *driveway*. But it is the only way to access the highway to the north without driving 50 miles out of our way, going the other way.

The area we live in is very rural, there are no paved roads going out the backway for 10 miles....it's a county un-maintained road the railroad once used back in the day.

2 of our trucks do have aftermarket lockers, front/rear.

Perhaps a mud tire would be better...but I don't have that kind of money.

We do have access to the southern highway 4 blocks to our south, but as I said that takes us 50 miles out of our way....however, there's a tiny town 7 miles east up that highway that will be getting a paved road going to the north, in which case we will be using that as soon as it's done.

After that, I'm selling off both trucks.

Again...you have a nice truck, those tires look great on there.

Thanks Ramblin! What ya gonna buy after U sell off those 2 trucks? I'm guessing something that still has 4WD.

Thanks Ramblin! What ya gonna buy after U sell off those 2 trucks? I'm guessing something that still has 4WD.

Probably not a 4wd, too expensive all around.

We don't do any offroading, etc been there, done that, as long as I have something capable of towing my boat, we're good.

Last edited:
I just bought a set of these at3s for my 96 Silverado. So far, they seem to do fine. They are comparable to my Cavalier sport kings I had before, but with a much quieter ride on the high way. They seem to have decent traction going forward, but a little slippery from side to side. Deer season just ended here so they saw two weeks of unmaintained dirt roads on the mountains. We had a little snow at the end, probably 3" and they did well. I had to use 4x4 a couple of times, but that was to prevent tearing up the roads more than not getting stuck. It seems if you keep them spinning, you will keep going forward where as the sport kings would load up. I haven't had the truck in anything too deep, but down in the creek bottom I was driving through and parking in 8" of mud. The truck would get in and out in 2wd. The side to side slipping was the only thing I did not like about them. The roads on the mountain are narrow, and if you encounter a vehicle going the other way two of your wheels are on the road and two of them are in the drain culvert on the side. It seemed when ever your wheels went over the side, they would slide down hill a little and pull the back of the truck to that side. It would climb back out once past with no problem however. That was one thing the sport kings did better at. I will post more about the tires as I put more miles on them.

The truck they are on is a 96 Chevy Silverado Z71 with a factory locker in the rear.

Hey seven_magnum, where is your deer camp located? A lot of hunters come up my way for deer. BTW, just bought lockers for my truck today so I should be giving these tires a workout once they are in. For good measure, I also got a 12,000lb winch too! Merry Christmas to me!

Our camp is in the western corner of Perry County in the Tuscarora state Forrest. It's not Potter or Tioga, but its lots of woods much closer to home! How are the lockers working for you? Since I posted, we had one night where about a 1/4" of ice formed on the road. I was going up a hill when I herd and felt a "bang" I wasn't sure what it was right away, but then realized I was spinning going up the hill an the locker did it's thing. One wheel was on ice, the other had traction. After I crested the hill, I gave it pretty firm breaks and got them to slide a little bit. I am pretty impressed with how they did. I did not get any fish tailing out of them and had no trouble with going or stopping in the ice. (I don't drive like a nut either. I give myself lots of space to stop and always accelerate gently.)

Nope, no snow at all! Really mild winter so far. Had some snow in Oct. but little since. Lockers are in but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Truck is clean so I don't want to trudge through the mud while the temps are hovering around freezing (major pain to clean off). Plus the winch is not installed yet either.

Last edited:
New snow today. Have a few inches on the ground and just tried the AT3s out. Gotta say for a 23ft long truck it does pretty good now with the lockers in. Both rear tires spin together and that sure helps propel the truck through the snow better. Had to put it in 4X4 going up a very steep, unplowed road with 3" of snow to avoid scaring the wife. AT3s are very good so far in the snow. Dedicated snow tires would be a bit better I'm sure but no complaints yet. I kept it in 2WD as long as I could and didn't have any problems until I tried to come up my steep, long, gravel driveway. For an AT tire in the snow, I'd give it a 8 out of 10. Had some ice too and they faired as well as any tire on ice. Keep in mind I have a long 3/4 ton truck with E rated tires. A smaller truck/SUV or car would probly do better in snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back