Purolator Introduces New Filter for Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purolator has announced the launch of Purolator Synthetic, a new oil filter featuring 100 percent synthetic media that the company says is custom-engineered to allow motorists to realize maximum benefits from synthetic motor oils.

“The key benefit of synthetic oils is chemistry that allows them to perform for extended periods of time,” said Chuck Kerrigan, director of marketing, for Purolator. “In order to take advantage of the extended life offered by synthetic oils, motorists need an oil filter that can capture and hold the tiny particulates that can accumulate over time. Now, Purolator has introduced the Purolator Synthetic, an exciting new filter that incorporates fully synthetic media combined with a specially designed media support system and other component technological innovations for longevity that allows motorists to enjoy the full benefits of longer-life synthetic oils.”

Specifically, Purolator Synthetic utilizes 100 percent synthetic media with pleat support technology containing wire backing that is engineered for today’s high-tech engines, according to the company. The result is a filter that has substantially more capacity than conventional oil filters. This allows the filter to capture and safely hold more contaminants generated over the extended life of synthetic oils without getting clogged, Kerrigan said.

At the same time, Purolator Synthetic features 99 percent efficiency, which means that it can capture and safely hold 99 percent of particulates 25 microns in size or larger. A micron is a millionth of a meter.

“It is this extraordinary combination of capacity and efficiency, along with design technology, that maintains the integrity of the media for extended periods of time,” said Kerrigan. “This makes Purolator Synthetic a 10,000-mile filter available for those motorists that are using synthetic motor oils in their vehicles.”

Now let's see clearances on the old filters
smile.gif

So now we will have the Purolator Synthetic Oil Filter....

Mobil 1 EP, Oil Filter
K&N Heavy Duty Oil Filter with the Nut
Bosch Distance Plus Oil filter
Fram Xtended Guard Oil Filter
NAPA Platinum Oil Filter

IMO....More competition in the market place for "store bought", off the shelf, oil filters. These should all be very good for extended drains on synthetic or "2 back to back uses" with Dino/Dino and synthetic blended motor oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 67Customs
Seems like a long way to say here is a new 10k synthetic oil filter.

Especially since a lot of us run P1's that long already. :p

Originally Posted By: daman
Cool,everybody's jumping on the Synthetic filter band wagon,i hope the price isn't too scary.

You captured my very thought process after reading the OP. +1

Well, I hope they don't discontinue the P1 or the legendary Purolator Classic and replace it with the "New" Synthetic filter.

I can only imagine the "RUN" on the P1's and Classics if that happens.

I'm sure that the "New" filter will be priced like the other premium filters....It might be over $10 for the regular everyday price. However, we should except to specials and rebates to get the public into the buying mood.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: 67Customs
Seems like a long way to say here is a new 10k synthetic oil filter.

Especially since a lot of us run P1's that long already. :p

if you are only doing 10k OCIs, a pureone will work just fine. these filters are only useful for anyone doing extremely long OCIs. i don't really see a market for them, but people buy em i guess.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I've been using the pure one filter with Mobil 1 extended performance for about 8 years or so, 8-10k changes. So what is this new filter going to do differently?.,,

It empties you pocket faster than Pure1.

I had been using second tier oil filters, Motorcraft FL400S or Proline(FAR) or Purolator Classic ..., with 1 year/12-14k miles on my LS400 for more than 10 years without problems.

If your engine is clean of sludge, any oil filter, even Fram Extra Guard, can do 10-12k miles/1 year OCI if most trips are more than 10-15 miles.

Well this filter sounds like it less efficient than the Bosch Distance Plus, which we all know owns Purolator and less efficient than Mobil 1 EP. So it looks like their going after Fram Xtended Guard 10,000 mile filter. I would like to know there 20 micron rating is, all other filters are judged on 20 micron spec. If I was a betting man, this filter will be about eight dollars. I will stick with the PureOne for my 6,000 mile oil changes for now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Topo
Well this filter sounds like it less efficient than the Bosch Distance Plus, which we all know owns Purolator and less efficient than Mobil 1 EP. So it looks like their going after Fram Xtended Guard 10,000 mile filter. I would like to know there 20 micron rating is, all other filters are judged on 20 micron spec. If I was a betting man, this filter will be about eight dollars. I will stick with the PureOne for my 6,000 mile oil changes for now.

i agree. pureone is 99.9% at 20 microns. i don't understand why this "top of the line" filter is WORSE.
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
Originally Posted By: Topo

i agree. pureone is 99.9% at 20 microns. i don't understand why this "top of the line" filter is WORSE.
confused.gif

Not all are 99@20 thats the 3001 filter and some others,limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back