Castrol import ATF for nissans/SP-III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to look ahead for the spring.

I'm needing to do the fluids on 3 cars.

3 cars in question are

2005 G35 AWD, Need Matic-J for the ATF, and Matic D for the T-case
98 maxima wants matic D for ATF
03 Lancer wants SP-III

Reading people's postings most people prefer Maxlife for SP-III. Matic- D is just normal Dextron, so anything should work. Now Matic J requirement has moved up to Matic S per dealership. Nothing is compatible with Matic S but everything is Matic-J

The maxima has no-name brand ATF in it, no issues period. The Lancer slips once in a while, at 77k now its on its 2nd drain and fill with OEM fluids. My G35, no issues but i dont like the way its shifting, but its not a problem. A local performance ship uses amsoil and recommends it to me. So it all comes down to pricing and track records.

I can get Castrol Import ATF which has all 3 types of fluids and is a good solid name for $4.50 a qt. I dont hear too much about this fluid tho. Most on here support Maxlife and amsoil. Maxlife seems to be at $6.50, Amsoil seems to be at $11 locally and Redline D4 is $11 via amazon.

I stick to my 20-30k fluids interval, so some can say its a waste if i get high end fluids. Somewhat like using 3k OCI on amsoil.

Last edited:
Use Maxlife, buy it in gallons - it's much cheaper. Been working great in my girlfriend's XG350 which also specs SP-III. Not sure about the other applications you're asking about but I'd look on some nissan forums and find out what those folks use.

i'll probaly just do maxlife for SP3 since its proven. Ive read other people not like maxlife but it was for other spec fluids.

I dont know about nissan guys but most infiniti guys aren't the DIY type of guys or if they are they only do Matic-S from the dealerships at $15 per bottle, or online for $9 + S/H.

I just wanted to see if anyone used Castrol and had issues. It doesn't have a good or bad track record. Just a popular brand. I love GTX oil but that doesn't mean they can make good transfluid.

Where can you get maxlife in the gallons and cheaper?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
i'll probaly just do maxlife for SP3 since its proven. Ive read other people not like maxlife but it was for other spec fluids.

I dont know about nissan guys but most infiniti guys aren't the DIY type of guys or if they are they only do Matic-S from the dealerships at $15 per bottle, or online for $9 + S/H.

I just wanted to see if anyone used Castrol and had issues. It doesn't have a good or bad track record. Just a popular brand. I love GTX oil but that doesn't mean they can make good transfluid.

Where can you get maxlife in the gallons and cheaper?

Mitsubishi automatics aren't all that great, hopefully you don't have a mechanical problem.

My mother had a '94 Mitsubishi Expo van and the AT only lived about 88,000 miles.

I think mitsu's aren't that great. It slips on the 1st ~> 2nd shift every now and then. Not a huge problem. If it does happen, it will be the only once for that given day. I dont DD that so i cant tell you how many times it happens. started at 40k, i did the fluids then with OE SP-III and then at 60k because i bought 10 qts. I have one bottle left that i'll use for PS fluid.

I'm more focused on the nissan cars because they are daily driven. Right now i'm thinking of just doing Castrol for the Maxima, since i get it for cheap. And then my G i'll put a little more money into and go Redline D4 for both ATF/ T-Case.

Hi,
bowlofturtle - Castrol's ATF's are excellent products - I have tested and used them for a very long time indeed. Many were designed and developed in Germany. I'm using use one that is available here "Transmax Z" in two vehicles at present. I've used them in many applications from heavy trucks to Porsche cars

Chose the one that matches the speciications for your vehicle. If you are DIY it is wise to drain the TQ if possible

Use the Castrol ATF's with confidence

Googling around and found this on a frontier forum.

http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/2701_transmaxj_b1650_03.pdf

Seems Castrol is the vendor for Nissan's Matic and w/e subaru names their own fluid. I think i'll roll with those for my ATF needs.

@Pablo, becoming a PC will knock off a few bucks but shipping brings it right back up. Is it cheaper buying from you + shipping VS directly from them + shipping? Or is all the same?

The Castrol Import is good enough for the car spec'd for SP-III. IMO it helped my 4cyl mitsubishi transmission shift smoother.

As for mitsubishi transmissions not being good, I'll beg to differ. Because one person gets the bad apple of the batch does not mean all others are spoiled. I have a 99 Galant ES-V6 with 226,000 exact miles, with original tranny (it has a spin-on top filter)

Last edited:

@Pablo, becoming a PC will knock off a few bucks but shipping brings it right back up. Is it cheaper buying from you + shipping VS directly from them + shipping? Or is all the same?

Becoming a PC with me is buying from me at the same price I pay. Your ATF will be $8.42/qt and ~$11 for a full case of 12 shipping from the Chicago Dist Center or why not, as a PC, just go pick it up 831 Central Avenue Wood Dale, IL 60191. Remember to sign up with #515729. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Becoming a PC with me is buying from me at the same price I pay. Your ATF will be $8.42/qt and ~$11 for a full case of 12 shipping from the Chicago Dist Center or why not, as a PC, just go pick it up 831 Central Avenue Wood Dale, IL 60191. Remember to sign up with #515729. Thanks.

9.96 with taxes, picked up. Which is cheaper then redline's 10.95 shipped. I'm leaning on castrol ATF, but cant say for sure yet. Good price tho.

9.96 with taxes, picked up. Which is cheaper then redline's 10.95 shipped. I'm leaning on castrol ATF, but cant say for sure yet. Good price tho.

Thanks man, nice to be able to pick up locally at PC price. I'll say nothing wrong with Castrol ATF.

I am currently using Castrol Import Mulit-Vehicle ATF in 3 vehicles with good success. These 3 vehicles auto trannys are:

'01 Lexus RX-300 AWD requiring Toytoa T-IV
'04 Nissan Altima 2.5 S requiring Matic-D
'06 Mazda 3i 2.0L requiring Mazda M-V ATF

All 3 vehicles have a 4 speed automatic OD tranny

I'm rolling with Castrol.

Would make me feel a little better knowing a Matic J user has been using this. Matic D i know works with almost anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back