QS173 filter okay for 3.0L Duratec...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look up the filter for a 3.0L Duratec for Escape, Tribute vehicles, you come back with a version of a '2' filter - EG2, XG2 (Fram); MPH2 (C-T Motomaster); QS2 (Quaker State)...

Canadian Tire doesn't carry 'QS2' filter in the Quaker State selection. I was asking them about substituting a MM filter for a QS oil+filter deal they had, and the parts counter guy went to the back, and got a Quaker State QS173 filter.

Guy said that QS was using this new filter in these applications. The filter is much, much smaller - like half the size. The rubber gasket lined up just fine, and the inlet hole looked the same size....is this the equivalent of the new Motorcraft 'FL500' that can be used in these applications?

I chickened out, and went with a Motomaster MPH2 filter. I know that one works, b/c that's what I used last time, and I can't take any chances that a filter won't fit when doing an OC.

Was I silly?

addy are you going to cut the old one open and post for us?

If you're comfortable with the Frams, ya you did right. I may have gone to WalMart and got a TG but that's me...lol

Well, CT had a deal where you got QSGB 5L and QS filter for $19.99. Individually, the QS was on for $15.99, and the MM filter I ended up getting was $5.99, so I got oil and filter for $22, not $20 - big deal.

I'm sorry, I won't be cutting the filter open, just don't really have the tools or place to do that....I WILL be doing a UOA on the drained oil, tho!

Oh ya, I saw that....nice deal. Hope that catches on more up here. Still a good deal that you got. I probably should grab one or two but I think I'm going to run GTX for a bit. Good price at WalMart right now and Costco.

No need to apologize addy...the UOAs are fun to see too!

Costco does have good oil prices, and I do have a membership.

The one near me have 5L jugs of Syntec 5W-30 on the $30! I was sorely tempted by that one, but a deal on oil and filter for less than that...just easier to do a 1-stop shop at CT!

Ya, I've seen that too. One of them will work for me as I don't usually buy filters at CT or WM...lol. May end up running GTX in the G6 and Syntec in the G5.

I'm bumping this post up to try and get an answer to a question....

Is the QS173 filter the same as the smaller MC 'FL500S' that can be used on the 3.0L Duratecs?

Gonna have to look that up.....

Well, if you check Purolator's site, the QS173 & FL500S come up with the same number L22500.

Quaker State's site says to use the QS173 after available stock of QS2 is done.

My bet is that QS173 & L22500 are the same filter and if the FL500S is suitable for your engine then the QS173 should be as well. Bypass on Purolator's listed filter (L24651) and the L22500 are almost the same. That said if you are more comfortable with the larger filter why not stay with that as long as you can get it.

Personally, I'd probably try the QS and see if there are any issues. I do think it is probably a better value than the Fram or the Motomaster, although the MPHs are cheap. Maybe another alternative would be a Tough Guard from MalMart. Here at least, Canadian Tire doesn't sell TGs.

I was just curious to see if the filter was a fit for the engine, not really in a desparate hurry to use it.

I agree with you, it's actually easier to get the larger '2' filter that fits this engine. I've been thinking of using a TG2 filter to see how it does.

Thanks for the info!

Just speculation on my part, but my guess is the QS173 is one of the consolidated/downsized filters that QS has gone to in some/many applications. I especially think that since the QS2, likely longer/larger, appears to be superseded by the QS173.

If the QS filter selector says it will fit, then should fit and work, but it's going to be a smaller filter.

FWIW, QS is not the only on consolidating applications to a downsized filter. The Puro made for filters like the ProMotive, Group7 and iirc Proline have done the same. Seems to be a trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back