Can you improve a non-top iter gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I was wondering if you can improve a non-top tier gasoline by adding additives like Regane or Techron thus turning it into a high quality gasoline???? On another forum I was told this can't be done no matter what additives are added to the gas tank. I believe their wrong.

Durango

You can't improve the quality but you can add good detergents like Techron to split the difference. It would help keep things more clean while running lower quality fuel, it won't improve the fuel per say, but keep it from creating deposits. The guy was partially correct, it's like adding additives to a Dino and turning it into synthetic, doesnt work like that. You can't change the base fuel quality that is used.

Last edited:
I dont believe your going to turn 87 oct into ultra 94 with a $1.99 "miracle in a bottle".. if you want better gas, buy better gas. Now on the flip side i do use some additive at my regular OCI's >techron< So i dont develop the dreaded Chevy/GM fuel guage issues, Chevy actual has a part number on a bottle of techron to solve this issue.. so im just being pro-active.

Yes I suppose you could spruce up a non-top tier gas with a dose of Techron or the equivalent. I have read on here of guys adding a shot of Techron, Red Line, Regane, etc to no-name or not top tier branded gas. I can't remember and do not know the dose rate they used. I know some have also mixed TCW-3 and Techron/Regane/Red Line and gotten good results but I do not know the dosage rate they used.

Seems to me that the cost of buying an additive/cleaner and dosing each tank would cost the same or maybe cost more than just buying top tier gas to begin with. But I also know the cost of gas in California is sky high, so maybe it would be cheaper to mix up your own additive for the gas you have to buy out there. A good additive might even improve the performance of the gas you buy.

I know others here will chime in on this one. Seems I read not long ago a guy here was getting good results with 1 ounce of Red line SI-1 to each 5 gallons of gas. I always thought Red Line was more of a cleaner than anything else. Maybe Techron Concentrate would be better in a maintenance application like this.

This is a a good question and a good subject. I am going to keep my eye on this thread.

Originally Posted By: volk06
You can't improve the quality but you can add good detergents like Techron to split the difference. It would help keep things more clean while running lower quality fuel, it won't improve the fuel per say, but keep it from creating deposits. The guy was partially correct, it's like adding additives to a Dino and turning it into synthetic, doesnt work like that. You can't change the base fuel quality that is used.

+1 Well written, I think this is the bingo.

Due to distribution, gas quality is the same (apart from mismanaging of stations). Additives are the only thing that differ.

So yes, buying the cheapest gas you can find, and then adding a maintenance dose of PEA fuel additive will give you top tier gas.

In an already clean system, just use the PEA fuel additive equally over the number of miles it is recommended for. Most of them say use every 3000 miles, so if you can do 300 miles on a tank, use 1/10th of the bottle every fill up.

Last edited:
The base fuel is the same at all stations in your region, and the Top Tier program is primarily about additive formulation and concentration.

So, yes, if you can get a Top Tier additive package and fortify your discount gasoline, you could absolutely make a Top Tier compliant mix.

I bet it would be much more expensive than just buying Top Tier gas, though.

Originally Posted By: rjacket
Due to distribution, gas quality is the same (apart from mismanaging of stations). Additives are the only thing that differ.

So yes, buying the cheapest gas you can find, and then adding a maintenance dose of PEA fuel additive will give you top tier gas.

In an already clean system, just use the PEA fuel additive equally over the number of miles it is recommended for. Most of them say use every 3000 miles, so if you can do 300 miles on a tank, use 1/10th of the bottle every fill up.

+1 all gas is nearly identical.In our area one pipeline brings most of the gasoline From Chicago to Michigan . It is stored down river and distributed through s.e. Michigan.

Good opinions you all. The issue was raised when the talk of keeping engine deposits down as much as possible using a top tier gas which has the additives already added in every tank ful of gas COMPARED to buying a non-top tier gas and adding a bottle of Regane or Techron etc. every 3K or so.

Now that the news is out that gas is on the raise once again I'm much sure this question will be raised on the forum again.

So my next question is...Can you use one bottle for a tank ful of gas therefore giving that tank a more higher concentration to help clean up valves and such in that one tank. Is it better this way instead of buying a higher quality gas and getting a lower concentration of PEA/additives for the same clean-up???

Durango

You do use one bottle per tank of gas to perform a clean of a dirty / neglected system. After that you maintain the system using top tier or a maintenance dose.

Keeping the system continuously clean is a better approach than performing a retrospective clean every 3000 miles.

Last edited:
rjacket,

I usually dose twice per every other month in a 6K OCI service interval. According to the instructions it indicates that the Techron can be double dosed to better benifits.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
rjacket,

I usually dose twice per every other month in a 6K OCI service interval. According to the instructions it indicates that the Techron can be double dosed to better benifits.

Durango

I don't quite understand what you mean.

I use FI cleaners far more often than what it seems most people on here recommend, in addition to using nothing but Shell 93oct and Chevron 93/94oct (and 100/105oct race gas for track days, tuning, and occasionally will mix race gas with Shell/Chevron 93/94oct in anywhere from a 5:1 to a 1:1 ratio).

I primarily use Redline SI-1, but also use Techron Concentrate. I would say I do a full tank plus full bottle as often as every 500-750 miles (every 2-4 fill ups). When I replaced the injectors on my 328 with higher flow injectors for the SC install, they had no "gunk" anywhere and the screens were brand new looking, as were all of the seals.
In addition, the valves that were replaced all looked spotless. No carbon, no gunk, no varnish, no build up, nothing. Again, they looked practically new.

I don't know if this was due entirely to the cleaners, but I should mention that the two stations I use are the only two within 25mi of me that sell ethanol-free gasoline. This has kept my fuel lines free of buildup, fuel filters have no black gunk, and my fuel level sender is spotless.

If you want to do.the best for your.car, find an ethanol-free station. Use RL SI-1 and Techron as well. I have never seen a single issue from frequent use, on any car. I have seen countless issues in cars in which they were never used, however: constant lean AF ratios, sticking valves, and economy reduced by 25% or more to name a few.

Seafoam is excellent as well, IMO.

rjacket,

Before the gas prices began to come down last year I tried to use only Chevron. It reaked havoc on my budget and so I was forced to return back to using ARCO and putting in a botttle of Regane in my truck and Techron in my car after every service.

Durango

moto94536,

Yeah I use that same website also but I see no point to hunt down the best gas price unless it's in my immediate area/neighborhood.

My hood there's only two gas stations....ARCO and Shell. The Shell station wants $4.89/regular and the ARCO'r price is still in the $3.69ish range. Which gas do you beleive I'm gonna get to fit my pocket book? That's why it better for me to buy ARCO and dose it with a bottle or two of Regane or Techron in between OCI's.

Durango

There used to be a lot of talk on here about using discount gas and FP 60/Fuel Power additive. Buying gallons of the additive could make that worthwhile depending on the price difference between fuels.

Originally Posted By: Durango
moto94536,

Yeah I use that same website also but I see no point to hunt down the best gas price unless it's in my immediate area/neighborhood.

My hood there's only two gas stations....ARCO and Shell. The Shell station wants $4.89/regular and the ARCO'r price is still in the $3.69ish range. Which gas do you beleive I'm gonna get to fit my pocket book? That's why it better for me to buy ARCO and dose it with a bottle or two of Regane or Techron in between OCI's.

Durango

Wow what a difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back