Speedometer problems Corolla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have been having problems with my 1993 Toyota Corolla Speedometer. It seems to be under reporting the speed. Sometimes it does not work at all.
I’ve installed a new speed sensor ($155) this weekend and that did not fix the problem. It does not work at first and then after the car is warmed up then it seems to work but it shows the speed too low. When I’m doing thirty or forty, it reads about twenty. When I’m on the highway running seventy then it reads fifty.
I’m thinking about installing the old sensor and take it to the dealership. Any help would be appreciated. I better get it repaired before my teenagers get a ticket.

How's your odometer reading? Is a mile a mile? What transmission do you have?

Well, I believe it reading in miles. If it was kilometer it would read faster. I'm not sure what transmission I have. How do I check that? Owner manual?

Well you have a stick shift, 3 speed auto with computer controlled lockup, or 4 speed auto that's completely computer controlled.

I had a 91 prizm that still used a mechanical cable driven speedometer... sure you don't have one of those?

Cluster time? 2nd time I hear this. What is it. Do I have to replace the Cluster in my dash?

Newer cars no longer have cable driven speedometers. Use a small stepper motor. Not sure about Toyota's, but I just changed a Buick stepper. Looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-GM-Stepper-Motors-X25-168-X25-168-Cluster-Speedometer-X27-168-X27-168-X27-168-/160708994720?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ABuick&vxp=mtr&hash=item256b00a6a0

If it is a speedo that's stepper motor driven, I'm not sure if you can even buy the individual motor for a Toyota. GM had a rash of problems with gauge failures due to these motors. GM replacements easily available on ebay. Toyota??? May have to buy a new dash cluster. Then have to take it to dealer to correct odometer on the replacement.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back