Mobil 1 Synthetics to Castrol Edge- Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Originally Posted By: Topo
I have always used Mobil 1 Synthetics, never had engine failures or anything, I did see increase of mpg from conventional and my engine tends to run cooler. But I hear some rave reviews about Castrol Edge, I'm sure it fine oil. But I'm wondering is there really that big a difference between these oils. I just did it because mobil is $3.00 more a jug Mobil EP that is. I'm also running Mobil EP oil filter, with the Castrol Edge I picked up a Napa Platinum. I already know that Castral Edge is Super Hydrocracked oil and mobil is PAO..But I'm thinking that isn't nothing to be to concerned about for 7500 mile OCI. Both state they are good for 15,000 miles. I rather get some input, because I'm tired of spending my money on Blackstone Lab Reports, LOL

One more thing, I have had oil analysis performed in the past and at 11,000 miles and one make-up quart added in 2 increments . 1 at 6,000 and the other at 10,000, now I understand I probably didn't need to do the second half quart, looks like I probably got carried away and overfilled a bit. But anyways my TBN was 4.1 with 10W30 Mobil EP.

TBN was 4.1 at 11k with one quart of top up oil and you're thinking about changing? Am I missing something here?

Not missing anything, Just think if I change at 6,000 miles or so to retain warranty, Castrol Edge being the better buy this time, it won't be a big deal between Mobil or Castrol, they all would last that long. I'm in a money crunch situation, every dollar I can save I will right now. I believe most synthetics buy Major Oil Brands are probably pretty darn good.

Originally Posted By: OceanDoctor
Not loaded, it's a FACT!)

OK. Prove it.

Be a lawyer and do the research for yourself. I already spent hours on researching this myself. I'm playing with my 2 year old boy right now. When I get some time, I send you the info.

Okay, so you can't.

ITT: uses false information to exalt one product, while putting down the competitors product in the same sentence. Fails to back up any claims. Remarkably similar to "shill"ing.

Here is a fact. I bought Mobil and Castrol. I don't give a hoot if one is Hydro Cracked or PAO or combination of all groups. In the end I switched due to pricing. I'm sorry if I offended you about claiming Castrol is Base 3+ oil and thinking Mobil 1 as Base 4. They are all sufficient for my engine.

Topo said:
Not loaded, it's a FACT!)

OK. Prove it.

Be a lawyer and do the research for yourself. I already spent hours on researching this myself. I'm playing with my 2 year old boy right now. When I get some time, I send you the info.

Okay, so you can't.

ITT: uses false information to exalt one product, while putting down the competitors product in the same sentence. Fails to back up any claims. Remarkably similar to "shill"ing.[/quot

I should probably just Blend Mobil 1 and Castrol together and make a Witch Doctors Blend. Do you agree?

FACTS! you go around talking stories on post about knowing what Base Stock Q.State uses and where it's coming from and speak of it as a value brand, it is highly unlikely you know any more than me on the formulations of Engine Oil, as you seem to be smarter than the oil companies by creating your special viscosity blends. You classify Woman and Old people as slow drivers. You talk about breast implants and prefer O.E on Woman,that talk is offending and better left in your head . You say [censored] about United States as you have any clue what is wrong with MY COUNTRY. You belittle Autozone Workers as gossipers and having pretty much no knowledge, all this is from your POSTS, BUDDY!.

Last edited:
FACTS! you go around you know you seem your special You classify You talk your head You say you have You belittle BUDDY!.

Lighten up, Francis.

Originally Posted By: jca
FACTS! you go around you know you seem your special You classify You talk your head You say you have You belittle BUDDY!.

Lighten up, Francis.

I"m done venting. Felt good, now back to reading posts and asking question when needed, from some of the smartest people I know..BITOG is a great site..Chris

Originally Posted By: jca
Lighten up, Francis.

crackmeup2.gif

The only 2 oils sold in the USA by major oil companies, other than Amsoil and Red line, that I know for sure are Full Real Synthetic, PAO oils are

Castrol Edge, 0w-30, Made in Germany, API-SL and Pennzoil Ultra Euro blend. Maybe....if you can find some Mobil 1, EP, API-SL.

Those are the only two other than some of the Amsoil and Red Line products that I know of sold here. Petro Canada Full Synthetic.....maybe.

As you can see.....I use Maybe quite a bit for being so sure.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
The only 2 oils sold in the USA by major oil companies, other than Amsoil and Red line, that I know for sure are Full Real Synthetic, PAO oils are ..........Castrol Edge, 0w-30, Made in Germany, API-SL and Pennzoil Ultra Euro blend. Maybe....if you can find some Mobil 1, EP, API-SL........... the only two other than some of the Amsoil and Red Line products that I know of sold here. Petro Canada Full Synthetic.....maybe.

As you can see.....I use Maybe quite a bit for being so sure.

So what Amsoil and Redline are full PAO.

OEM builder, ACEA and API approvals etc are of more value IMO.

"Fully synthetic this", "Synthetic" and "semi synthetic that" with pages of technical write ups, for laymen like myself, I am leaving the "third party review and recommendation" for the OEM to consider and endorse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: partspro
I REALLY should have something better to do on a Friday night, but BITOG is addictive ....
laugh.gif

Especially when you have HOT HEADS like me getting all riled up I can see how that would be fun, LOL! Actually I'm very laid back, but tend to dislike individuals that judge everyone else's opinions like they are smarter than Oil Engineers and their making oil potions for their car and have no conclusive evidence that it is doing anything for their car. I have seen 367,000 miles on a 3.8 Liter Buick Engine, it ran Dino oil and usually the cheapest stuff you could find, also probably was only changed every 10,000 miles and with the lowest grade Fram Filter on it..LOL. My Dad used to tell me that when he saw my brothers oil come out of his car, he didn't know if it was roof tar or actually oil...Chris

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
I thought this thread was about some kind of testing, but no. "M1 vs. Edge EXPERIMENT"...

About the only testing I can think of is to run your engine for 250K with the same oil and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back