Oil filter cutter test, Wix filter vs AutoExtra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like BITOG has filter thread day today
smile.gif

I received my filter cutter today, and decided to test it.
One of wix filters god damaged during delivery, and it looked like it had dome bypass, so I didn't want to risk using it.
Obliviously it was fine. It is standard size filter for my car in signature. Came in master pack.
Same for AutoExtra, but separate boxes. Was something like $1.70 at RockAuto.

Wix first:
6669674021_9ed52b98b5_b.jpg

6669684153_c3396a2dab_b.jpg

AutoExtra:
6669675535_e0344d4414_b.jpg

6669681161_faa866a6e9_b.jpg

Side by Side:
6669678299_052dc7ccd4_b.jpg

Wix has more media. +
Wix is shorter. -
Wix seam is glued.
Wis has separate bypass.
ADBV is more hard. -
Larger holes in baseplate +
Smells better
smile.gif
+

AutoExtra is little longer.+
Less media. -
Seam is metal.
Dome bypass, which feels fine to depress by finger, not to soft,nether hard.
ADBV feels softer, asked buddy to feel both too
smile.gif
+
Smaller holes in base plate. -
Smells worse
smile.gif
-

That Auto Extra may be the ugliest media I have ever seen. It looks like someone took a box and just started making the pleats, and it doesn't have many pleats either. It looks like and STP filter or something.

Wix for the win. Just the filter media alone makes it worth it. I think the case is larger on the cheapie filter bc it can fit a large range of vehicles. In this case, the larger is better mentality may be wrong.

Thanx for sharing. Filters are fun stuff once you get into them.

While I'm sure the Auto Extra will probably do the job just fine for an average OCI, I definitely like the look of the Wix better. I don't like to waste money but I don't have a problem spending a couple extra bucks to get a better quality filter.

no, cases look same. media itself is little longer. Anyway AutoExtra wins the cheapie contest (vs stp, OCOD, ST and so on)

Never seen a Napa Gold with dome end bypass, afaik all have thread end. The NG was likely good to go.

Can't see the bypass on the AE. Looks like you got one without a combo valve which have recently been posted here on the AE. I prefer this design.

Yes, the base end bypass in the Wix does cause the element to have to be a little shorter. Personally, I also wish they were attached to the element instead of just sitting in there, one of the few things I don't like about Wix. However, I don't think it's a problem and it won't stop me from using them.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Thanx for sharing. Filters are fun stuff once you get into them.

While I'm sure the Auto Extra will probably do the job just fine for an average OCI, I definitely like the look of the Wix better. I don't like to waste money but I don't have a problem spending a couple extra bucks to get a better quality filter.
Now I have a stash of filters too...ordered lots of cheap like $1-2 Fram Racing (reg size), Oversize OCODs (huge ones) and Extended Guard (oversize).All cheap and with free and fast delivery. I need to stop
smile.gif

9 Wix left, 2 AutoExtra left, 2 ST, 3 P1, 4 Bosch, and 27 different Frams.
I guess I need to do dual filter setup to use them all
smile.gif

Last edited:
Will cut open later on oversize OCOD which was in 15 min use during engine flush, and ST with about 1500-2000 miles on during Kreen cleaning OCI.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Never seen a Napa Gold with dome end bypass, afaik all have thread end. The NG was likely good to go.

Can't see the bypass on the AE. Looks like you got one without a combo valve which have recently been posted here on the AE. I prefer this design.

AE has bypass on top of the center tube. (dome bypass). Wix looked similar if you look inside thru the hole, but wider and shorter bypass looking thing. That what confused me, but it is just a shape of end cap, and dented filter was not damaged inside.

Last edited:
Fram after 15 min flush with new oil and LM Engine Detox. Completely clean nothing to tell about.
6723753045_95ca45ac34_b.jpg

6723755057_bc0b66a28d_b.jpg

SuperTech after around 2500 miles with Kreen OCI. Has some little crud particles between pleats.
6723756811_00c03a9a6c_b.jpg

6723759953_f65a5fd2d2_b.jpg

Media looked more even on ST, but Fram has Metal tube vs e-core in ST.

Yeah, I think I'm done. Will just use MMO sometimes(like to dilute 5w-50 oil) and Kreen next winter, want to try it in gas also. 4 gallons of PP and 5 of Synpower should clean the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back