Lubricating Door Seals and Door Locks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard that Honda's Shin-Etsu grease is one of the best products to use for lubricating door seals due to its durability. I have not been able to find an automotive door lock specific lube, but Honda does make an aerosol door lube. The prices for both products are reasonable for their size, so I have no problems using them.

However, I am curious what other products can be used for this task. I have heard that white lithium grease works for door seals but does not last long at all compared to Shin-Etsu grease. Likewise, I have heard of some people using a graphite lube for locks....but I am not sure if that applies to hinges as well.

Lastly, I have never lubricated seals and locks before, yet have never had any issues. For the door seals, do you just rub the grease over all of the seals? I heard you have to clean the seals first...but I am not sure what to use for that. Degreaser?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Clean with a slightly damp rag if needed.

Krytox works well, as does syl-glyde.

I use spray silicone for my rubber weatherstrips and door seals, I just picked up a good sized can of Liquid Wrench spray silicone for $2.99 at Harbor Freight this past Saturday.

I keep my door weatherstrips very clean, I wipe them down with a clean wet towel every time I wash my truck. To condition the weatherstrips I just spray a good amount of silicone on a shop rag and wipe it on the rubber seals. The seals along the bottom and back side of the door may get a direct shot of silicone spray every so often too. I treat the rubber weatherstrips a few times a year, it keeps them soft, makes them last longer and helps them make a better seal to block out water and noise from the wind. I have heard and read that dielectric grease works well on rubber weatherstrips too.

I use the spray silicone on my wiper blades too, it keeps them soft and helps them last longer; the Florida sun is murder on my wiper blades. I don't have need for any door lock lubricant. I have used powdered graphite both on my truck door lock cylinders and the door locks on the entry doors of my house though.

Like Jimmy said, I also keep the weatherstrips clean. Wipe in a shot of silicone spray in a paper towel after cleaning and you are good.

I also use Krytox in a few places like the sunroof in a VW and the windows on a Camaro - anywhere that has tight rubbing, not just pressing. Be very sparing with Krytox because it gets all over your glass and can collect grit.

For locks I run in some Lock-Ease graphite on a key about once a year in each lock. No problems, though I live in Oregon where it gets below freezing a few times per year. Good luck!

Always keep mine clean too!!

I use Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Conditioner. Works great + can get it most anywhere.

For the past several years, I've been using 1Z Einszett Gummi Pflege Stift on the door seals. Seems to keep the seals on the old Chrysler LeBaron convertable in good pliable shape. Along with keeping the seals clean, I apply the Pflege Stift at least twice a year.

What is the base of this shi-tsu grease? If it's petroleum, I wouldn't touch that to rubber. Silicone, great.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I use spray silicone for my rubber weatherstrips and door seals, I just picked up a good sized can of Liquid Wrench spray silicone for $2.99 at Harbor Freight this past Saturday.

I used to use it too, but then got concerned about solvents in the spray damaging rubber. Do we know the spray is pure silicone without solvents?

Spray silicone is all I use. I wipe it on with a rag. I also do the window tracks, and window glass edges so the window will actually go up and down in the winter without freezing. Works well.

I would not worry too much about seals, as they are not pure rubber anymore. Keeping them clean will go a long way.
I wipe the seals with silicone spray oil in late fall so that they don't freeze as easily during freezing rain or really cold spells. You don't have that problem.
Locks and hinges are in the same boat. I apply silicone spray to locks and chain lube to hinges so that salt doesn't get to them.

In your climate these things can be done very infrequently or not at all, like you already mentioned, without any problems.

I would definitely stay away from any product that has solvents in it, that includes most aerosol products ...

I have found that regular old Amour All is perfect for this job, it is NOT solvent based and lasts a pretty long time, completely safe for rubber and synthetic related items on seals and trim.

The Wurth/Sabestos 'Rubber Care' (offered in both a spray can and a liquid/sponge top applicator) is what I use on weatherstripping/seals.
It is less coin than Krytox, or the Honda stuff (albeit still not exactly 'cheap'), easier to use than SylGlyde/dielectric grease, and contains NO solvents whatsoever like some silicone sprays might.

I use a combination of; HHS 2000, dry graphite spray, Amsoil red spray grease, topped off with a sealing, finger application of white lithium grease (Permatex, from a squeeze tube) for the hinges.
This seems to last through the whole 'salt bath' winter until they start squeaking again in the early spring.

The few times I do the actual lock mechanisms themselves I use either the Lock Ease spray or the dry graphite spray.
(BTW; the dry graphite spray goes on/into locks/hinges wet, then the carrier fluid evaporates, leaving a dry film, unlike the Lock Ease which tends to stay wet and has a strong solvent/petro smell.)

Good luck finding spray silicone with anything but a token amount.
By far, the constituents are other less desirable stuff.
There may be good products available, but they won't cost $3.

Any light spray lube is good for locks.

For years, I have used nothing but a small tube of silicone grease to keep door seals conditioned.

I use it in the fall or early winter. Wipe down door seals with damp rag beforehand to get all the dirt and gunk off before applying any silicone.

I've always wanted to try to find pure silicone oil. I know it exists, as it is used as a calibration for rheometer experiments. Never looked hard enough though...

I just ordered the Shin Etsu. I have already tried NAPA Sil-Glyde and SuperLube. I am hoping Shin Etsu is better and lasts longer for this particular application.

Last edited:
Door seals, weather striping and any exterior rubber/black plastic trim I have always used protectant like Armor All, Aerospace 303 or something similar. Usually I apply it after waxing the car.

For door locks I just spray something like WD-40 or Seafoam. I don't use the key for the door or trunk much anyways since I use the remote. For hinges I spray some PB Blaster silicone lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back